A Michigan Mule is a fun take on a classic cocktail! In it, vodka and cherry juice concentrate is combined, poured over ice with a squeeze of lime and topped off with Vernors ginger ale. This recipe serves 2 but can easily halve to serve 1 or doubled for more.
If you been hanging around the last 12 years or so, you may know that I (proudly) live in Michigan. I love it here. From the cider mills to Meijer grocery stores, the Mackinac bridge, wineries, our Great Lakes and “up north” weekends away. Michigan is known for; Detroit style pizza, pasties, Michigan salad, coney dogs, Vernors ginger ale, Better Made and Downy’s potato chips, Mackinac Island fudge, and Traverse City for being the largest producer of tart cherries – just to name a few. And over the years, I’ve shared these Michigan icons through recipes on my blog.
What is a Michigan Mule?
Essentially a Michigan mule is a tart cherry Moscow mule. In it I use a cherry juice concentrate (made in Traverse city!) because it’s thicker than cherry juice, and in my opinion, packs more of a cherry punch. Moscow mules traditionally use ginger beer, however since Vernors is a Michigan staple (invented by a Detroit pharmacist around 1866) I use that instead.
I garnish it maraschino cherries and a wedge of lime threaded on a cocktail pick.
A sweet, tart and delicious cocktail.
To Make A Michigan Mule You Will Need:
- ice – Fill your mule mug to the top to keep the drink cold and help from being watered down when adding room temp liquids.
- vodka – Vodka is the liquor used in Moscow mules. We like Tito’s but use your favorite.
- cherry juice concentrate – This is thick and syrupy with a concentrated cherry flavor. I use the Shoreline fruit brand
- lime wedges – Add a touch of bright citrus flavor.
- Vernors (ginger ale) – A Michigan brand, however any ginger ale or ginger beer can be used.
- maraschino cherries – Use for garnish.
Fill 2 copper mugs to the top with ice.
Then combine 4 ounces of vodka (or use desired amount of vodka) with 4 ounces cherry juice concentrate and then divide and pour into each mug. Since the cherry concentrate is syrupy, you will want to do this beforehand.
Squeeze in the juice from a wedge of lime (per mug).
Fill the mugs the rest of the way with Vernors.
Garnish with maraschino cherries and a wedge of lime.
Sip. Relax. Enjoy!
Click Here For More Michigan Inspired Recipes.
- 4 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces cherry juice concentrate, or to taste
- 2 lime wedges, plus more for serving
- 24 fluid ounces Vernors ginger ale
- 2 maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Fill 2 copper mugs to the top with ice.
- Then combine 4 ounces of vodka with 4 ounces cherry juice concentrate and divide into each mug. Since the cherry concentrate is syrupy, you will want to do this beforehand.
- Squeeze in the juice from a wedge of lime per mug.
- Lastly, fill the rest of the way with Vernors ginger ale and garnish with a maraschino cherry and wedge of lime.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!