This Kale Salad with Creamy Caper Dressing is the perfect simple side salad. Chopped kale is tossed in a flavorful creamy caper dressing and topped with buttery garlic panko crumbs. Generously serves 8.
Kicking off 2022 with a super simple and healthy salad.
Most days I do my best and try to eat a salad or veggies of some sort. But I easily get burned out on washing and chopping alltheveggies and so sometimes I just want a salad that isn’t so high maintenance. And this easy breezy kale salad is it! The dressing is incredibly easy and flavorful. I love the briny flavor of the capers with the fresh herbs! And the garlicky crumbs are incredible and add crunch and garlicky flavor.
I pile it high in a shallow bowl and serve it next to some form of protein. Typically it’s either air fryer salmon, shrimp or chicken and usually (always) top it with sliced avocado.
A simple, healthy and deliciously healthy meal!
To Make This Kale Salad with Creamy Caper Dressing You Will Need:
- mayonnaise – Adds richness and creaminess.
- plain nonfat greek yogurt – Helps keep this dressing creamy while still being light and healthy.
- dijon mustard – Lends flavor and subtle tang.
- capers – Adds body and a distinct briny flavor. Consider using less vinegar if sensitive to the flavor.
- red wine vinegar – Gives this dressing fruity tang.
- dill – Adds a fresh herbaceous flavor.
- parsley – Will lend an earthy herbaceous flavor.
- black pepper – This will add some subtle bite and flavor.
- olive oil – Will richness and will round out the dressing.
- butter – Lends a nutty flavor and will help crisp and brown the breadcrumbs.
- garlic powder – For gentle garlic flavor. Feel free to increase or omit (if sensitive) depending on preference.
- panko breadcrumbs – Gives this salad some crunchy texture and garlicky flavor.
- kale – I like to use curly kale for this recipe.
Make The Dressing:
Into your blender (or mini food processor), measure and add 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I use light, but you can use any kind), 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons dijon mustard.
Next, add in 1/4 cup capers and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar.
Then add (roughly) 1/4 cup both fresh parsley and dill and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Secure the lid.
And slowly stream in 6 tablespoons olive oil.
Scrape down the sides as needed.
Cover the creamy caper dressing with plastic wrap and refrigerate while you make the rest of the salad.
Make The Salad:
Melt 2 tablespoons salted butter in a skillet. Once melted, add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder plus 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs.
Stir and toast over medium to medium-low heat until golden brown. Remove and set off to the side.
Lastly, strip the leaves from the stems of 2 bunches kale. You can compost the stems, use them in making stock or simply discard. Finely chop the kale leaves, rinse well and spin dry.
Transfer the chopped kale to a large bowl and toss with the dressing. How much is up to you but for 2 large bunches of kale, I use the whole recipe.
Toss to coat.
Transfer the dressed kale to a serving platter.
Top with the garlic panko and serve.
Serve as is!
If making in advance, keep everything separate and toss together right before serving.
A simple and healthy kale salad that also happens to be delcious!
Enjoy as is or serve alongside salmon, shrimp or chicken.
Enjoy! And if you give this Kale Salad with Creamy Caper Dressing recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Kale Salad with Creamy Caper Dressing
FOR THE CREAMY CAPER DRESSING:
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (any), I used light mayo
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup non pareil capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE GARLICKY PANKO:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 large bunches kale, leaves stripped from stems, chopped and rinsed
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In your blender (or mini food processor) add mayo, greek yogurt, dijon, capers, vinegar, parsley, dill and black pepper.
- Secure the lid, removing the center plug. Cover with a clean kitchen towel, and with the blender running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Transfer to a jar, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Yields 1¼ cups.
MAKE THE PANKO:
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Add garlic powder and panko. Stir occasionally until deep golden brown. Remove and let cool.
MAKE THE SALAD:
- Strip the leaves from the kale stems. Roughly chop before rinsing well and spinning dry. (I use a salad spinner for this)
- Place clean chopped kale to a large bowl and toss with desired amount of dressing. (For 2 large bunches of chopped kale, I personally use all the dressing)
- Transfer dressed kale to a large platter, top with garlicky crumbs and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
This is my go-to kale salad recipe. I love just using fresh basil for herbs and I grate the carrots with my food processor for ease. I go a little extra on lemon juice and capers for a more punchy dressing. This salad can sit in the fridge for a few days and just gets better.