Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage that is lean and healthy! All the flavors of traditional turkey sausage with a fraction of the fat. Yields 1 pound.
I’m forever trying to find ways to eat healthier.
So when I’m actively trying to lose weight, it’s a goal to find healthy ways to cut back on calories and/or fat. I have this pasta recipe I love. This recipe starts by browning turkey sausage, and although the recipe is already pretty lean, I wanted to try to make it even more healthy by making my own italian turkey sausage.
Remember last year when I made turkey breakfast sausage? It was that recipe that inspired me to test out an italian version.
Since I’m currently balancing running and weight lifting with a low fat yet high protein and fruit and veggie diet, this turkey sausage fits the bill. So while it skimps on fat, it doesn’t lack in flavor. With that said, if you’re looking for a fattening sausage recipe, this one definitely is not the one for you.
To Make This Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage You Will Need:
- ground turkey
- fresh garlic
- italian seasoning
- crushed fennel seed
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil
In a mixing bowl add 1 pound ground turkey. I’m using extra lean, because that’s what I had, but any will work. Then measure and add 1 tablespoon grated fresh garlic, 1 italian seasoning, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed and 1/4 teaspoon each ground black pepper and red pepper flakes.
Mixing well with a spatula or wooden spoon until combined. You can make this a day in advance (cover tightly and refrigerate) or cook immediately.
I add 2 teaspoon olive oil to a skillet and heat on medium to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sausage.
Cook, breaking up the turkey into crumbles.
When it’s fully cooked, I add broth, water or white wine (depending on the recipe) to deglaze the pan and scrap up any brown bits from the bottom. SO much flavor there!
That’s it! There’s little fat so this turkey sausage is healthier than what you can buy at the store.
Be sure you come back on Wednesday, I’m sharing that recipe I used this homemade italian turkey sausage in. SO GOOD!
Homemade Italian Turkey Sausage
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon garlic*, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon [italian seasoning]
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds**
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, for cooking
- In a mixing bowl add the groudn turkey, garlic, italian seasoning, kosher salt, crushed fennel seed, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Mix until combined.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet or dutch oven over medium to medium-high. Once hot add in the sausage mixture.
- Use a wooden spatula to break up the mixture. Cooking until browned.
- Once fully cooked, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, broth or white wine (depending on the recipe) to deglaze the pan. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!