Cozy up with a bowl of this Healthy Southwest Chicken Soup! Peppers and onions are sautéed and mixed with a homemade southwest seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes, pinto and black beans, charred corn and chicken. Serves 8+ in under an hour!
Another day and another soup for your soul.
It’s one of the only things I want to make these days. I crave bowls of comfort or carbs. There’s no in-between. Trying to conjure up recipes consisting of mostly canned goods isn’t a impossible task, luckily I stock up on weeks ago (years, even) now I’m trying to make the most of my pantry ingredients while not trying to use all my pantry ingredients. Know what I mean?
The struggle is real.
Luckily this soup calls for just a few yet pretty basic pantry ingredients; beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, homemade southwest seasoning and broth. However there are a few fresh ingredients as well. And if you have frozen corn on hand, I highly suggest thawing it and charring it in a dry skillet for that extra flavor. SO good.
To Make This Southwest Chicken Soup You Will Need:
- olive oil spray
- yellow onion
- green pepper
- kosher salt
- pinto beans
- black beans
- crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- shredded cooked chicken
- sweet corn
- southwest seasoning
- lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- avocado, for serving
- cilantro, for serving
- tortilla strips or chips, for serving
Into a large dutch oven add; 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 chopped medium yellow onion, 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper, 1 jalapeño – seeded and diced, 4 cloves minced garlic with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook on medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender and onions are golden in spots. About 8 minutes.
Next, add 2 tablespoons southwest seasoning.
Toss to combine and cook 1 minute.
To the peppers and onions add; 1 (28 ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, 1 cup charred sweet corn, 1 can (rinsed and drained) black beans and pinto beans.
Pour in 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth.
Lastly, add the remaining drained can of pinto to a mini food processor, and pulse until smooth. Transfer the blended pinto beans to the soup and stir to combine.
Cover and bring the soup to a low boil. Reduce to medium low, simmering for 30 to 40 minutes.
Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and season with kosher salt to taste.
Serve this healthy southwest chicken soup ladled into bowls and topped with sliced avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips – if desired.
I like mine with extra lime juice.
Light and healthy with robust spices. There’s lots of delicious texture with nothing to feel guilty about.
Southwest Chicken Soup
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra light
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and ribs removed for less heat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons southwest seasoning
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, plus any cooking liquids* (see notes)
- 1 cup charred corn, see notes
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto bean, pureed (see notes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- tortilla strips or chips
- lime wedges
- In a large dutch oven add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, minced garlic with a pinch of kosher salt.
- Stir and cook on medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender and onions are golden in spots. About 8 minutes.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons southwest seasoning, stir and cook 1 minute.
- To the peppers and onions add; crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, shredded chicken, charred sweet corn, black beans and pinto beans.
- Pour in 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth.
- Lastly, add the pureed pinto beans (see notes) to the soup and stir to combine.
- Cover and bring the soup to a low boil. Reduce to medium low, simmering for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and season with kosher salt to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with sliced avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips – if desired.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!