Grilled Double Decker Pizza Sandwich- a three tiered grilled pizza sandwich filled with mozzarella, pizza sauce and pepperonis! This sandwich is kid and adult friendly!
Since I had some leftover Texas toast from this recipe, I immediately thought about my favorite grilled cheese sandwich, the double-decker. I opened up my fridge… yanked out some marinara and slices of pepperoni and in 10 easy minutes. This pizza sandwich was born.
Left over Texas toast, your favorite marinara (homemade or jarred, nobody judges), pepperoni and cheese. I thought I bought mozzarella… but after I emptied out everything in my fridge and onto my counter tops, I realized I must not have. I must have dreamt it… but I swear I did! You’ll need some butter too.
Slice your roni’s in half. Nobody likes to bite into a hot sandwich or slice of pizza for that matter and get slapped in the chin with a blazing hot cheesy pepperoni… it hurts. A lot.
Butter four slices of bread.
Lay two pieces of buttered bread, butter side down and top with some cheese.
Then add the pepperoni.
A few tablespoons of the marinara sauce.
Then dd another slice of un-buttered bread, more pepperoni, sauce and cheese. Then top with the last piece of buttered bread (butter-side up). Flip and continue to cook until a golden crust appears and the cheese is melted.
Voila! Grilled double decker pizza sandwich!
Can it be? A quadruple double decker?
Grilled Double-Decker Pizza Sandwich
- 6 slices Texas toast bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 16-20 pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup homemade pizza sauce, more or less to taste
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- Heat a griddle to 350° or a pan over medium heat.
- Slice pepperonis in half.
- Butter one side of four slices of bread (leaving 2 slices unbuttered) and place two slices (butter-side down) on preheated griddle.
- Layer cheese, a few pepperoni halves and a couple tablespoons of marinara.
- Top with a slice of un-buttered Texas toast, and then remaining cheese, pepperonis and sauce. Top that with the last piece of buttered bread (butter-side up) and flip once the bottom is golden.
- Griddle until a golden crust appears and the cheese is melted. Cut and serve!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!