Gingerbread Pecan Slab Pie, homemade gingerbread spice mix is combined with molasses, sugar, eggs and butter to spice up my traditional pecan pie. Baked in a quarter sheet pan so it is perfect for serving a small crowd of 12.
It’s just a few days until Christmas, do you know what dessert you’ll be serving? Because this might be my favorite recipe idea of 2018! Combining gingerbread spices with pecan pie makes total and complete sense, right?
I originally had planned this recipe to be just a slab pecan pie since I shared a pumpkin slab pie before Thanksgiving. That was until I made gingerbread spice and thought to myself, what if? What if I combined the two? So I did.
The crust is cookie like and the color of the pie is a little darker. But the flavor? Incredible.
To Make This Gingerbread Pecan Slab Pie you will need:
- easy pâte sucrée
- granulated sugar
- dark brown sugar
- homemade gingerbread spice
- kosher salt
- golden syrup
- unsulphured molasses
- vanilla extract
- unsalted butter, melted and has cooled
- 3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
In a mixing bowl, combine the 4 large eggs at room temperature, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, 1-1/2 tablespoons homemade gingerbread spice, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon vanilla whisk to incorporate.
Next pour in the 3/4 cup golden syrup, 1/4 cup unsulphured molasses,.
What is golden syrup?
It’s a thick syrup made from sugar cane. Whereas corn syrup is made from cornstarch. It’s a personal preference and either will work wonderfully in this recipe!
Then whisk to thoroughly combine.
Lastly, pour in the cooled, melted butter and give it one last whisk to incorporate.
Earlier I rolled out the pastry dough to fit a quarter sheet pan (dimensions in the printable recipe) and then chilled it while I made the filling. To that, add the chopped 3 cups pecans. I chop 2/3 of the nuts while leaving the rest whole.
Lastly, pour in the gingerbread filling and slip the sheet pan onto the lowest rack in your preheated 375° oven for 30 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway during baking to ensure even baking and browning.
When the gingerbread pecan slab pie has finished baking, use oven mitts to transfer it to a wire cooling rack. Allow the slab pie to cool for at least 1 to 2 hours before slicing and serving.
I seriously love how the pecans work perfectly with the warm gingerbread spices! And even more perfect served with either a dollop of homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Festive gingerbread people sprinkles are optional.
Enjoy! And if you give this Gingerbread Pecan Slab Pie recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Gingerbread Pecan Slab Pie
- 1 recipe Easy Pâte Sucré, sweet pastry dough
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons gingerbread spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/4 cup unsluphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Roll your pie crust out to a 12 x 15 rectangle to fit a 10 x 13 x 1-inch sheet pan or quarter sheet pan. Trim and fold the edges behind itself and chill for 15 minutes while preparing the filling.
- Move an oven rack to the lowest position and preheat your oven to 375°.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugars, gingerbread spice, salt, syrup, molasses, vanilla and butter and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the pecan pieces into the chilled prepared pie dough and pour the filling over top.
- Slip the pan into your preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool 1 to 2 hours before serving with ice cream or whipped cream.
Easy Pâte Sucrée (Sweet Pastry Dough)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch fine salt
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Dice the butter into small cubes and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Drop in the butter and use a pastry blender to cut it into the flour/sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water (no ice), egg yolk and vinegar. Pour this into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a spatula to combine. Then knead until the dough comes together, adding a little more water if needed.
- Shape and wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface and your rolling pin with flour.
- Roll out the chilled pâte sucrée to fit a pie plate, tart pan or simply stamp with a biscuit cutter for mini-pies or tarts. Whatever your plans, follow the recipes instructions for the oven temperature and baking times.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
Leave a Reply