Ditch the pre-made packets and make this super simple Homemade Taco Seasoning! Simply combine and add to 1 to 2 pounds cooked ground beef, turkey or chicken for tacos. This recipe yields about 4 tablespoons or equivalent to 2 store bought envelopes. With that said, feel free to double or triple it.
If I had a dollar for every time I made this homemade taco seasoning, I would be vacationing in Greece right now.
At first I would make a single batch and then refill my designated “taco seasoning jar” every other week. Once that got old, I wised up and now I make a triple batch. You can use this homemade taco seasoning for a lot of things. Recipes like chili, regular and double decker tacos, 7-layer taco dip, cheesy Mexican beef skillet, or chili.
So why bother purchasing a pre-made taco mix with additives and preservatives and who knows what else, when you can make your own that’s a million times better than any packet?
TO MAKE THIS Homemade Taco Seasoning you will need:
- chili powder (regular or ancho chili) – Adds flavor and can be mild to moderately spicy.
- cumin (ground) – Lends earthiness and warmth, with an edge of citrus.
- kosher salt – Enhances the flavors of the spices.
- ground black pepper – Adds some subtle bite and flavor.
- paprika – Lends color and subtle flavor.
- oregano (dried) – Lends earthy and slightly bitter flavor.
- garlic powder – Adds flavor that’s sweeter yet milder than fresh garlic.
- onion powder – Lends additional bold oniony flavor.
- red pepper flakes – For a spicy kick.
What Are The Best Spices For Making Your Own Seasonings and Spice Blends?
There’s no right or wrong brand. I will first say, buy what you can afford. However, not all spices are created equal as you tend to get what you pay for. Currently I use Morton & Bassett (not sponsored) because I find their spices to be top notch in texture, color and flavor. I love and respect what their company stands for not only with charitable work but also quality control. With that said some other wonderful brands I’ve used over the years are Simple Organic, Frontier Co-op and Penzys.
Measure out 1 tablespoon mild chili powder (regular or ancho chili), 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. And add 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, ground in the palm of your hand, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes and add it to a container that has a tight-fitting lid.
Stir well to combine.
That’s it, my friends! Now you have taco seasoning at your fingertips and use in all your favorite taco-inspired recipes. Because homemade taco seasoning is the best kind of taco seasoning!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, ancho or regular
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, ground in the palm of your hand
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- Measure the spices into an airtight container or small jar. Whisk or use a fork to combine. Use in any recipe calling for taco seasoning!
- Otherwise, store in a cool dry place for 1 to 2 years.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!