Apple Pear Crumble is my go-to holiday no-brainer dessert. Honeycrisp apples and Anjou pears are topped with an irresistible crumble topping.
I tend to put all of my time and efforts into the main and side dishes, so I usually take the easy route when it comes to the dessert. So for years I’d make this crumble on Christmas Eve; diced honeycrisp apples and bosc pears are tossed with brown sugar, both lemon and orange zest and juice and also with spices like cinnamon, ginger and freshly grated nutmeg.
And this isn’t a crumble with out an amazingly buttery-crisp crumble topping. I like to sneak nuts into my crumble because it adds more texture and of course, a delicious nutty flavor. Today I used almonds –because I had them on hand– but walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts are always a scrumptious option.
This crumble can be served piping hot, just out of the oven or warm and at room temperature. But always served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
To Make This Apple Pear Crumble You Will Need:
- Honeycrisp apples
- Anjou pears (ripe yet still firm to the touch)
- light brown sugar
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- cinnamon (ground)
- ginger (ground)
- freshly grated nutmeg
- lemon zest
- orange zest
- lemon juice
- orange juice
- granulated sugar
- nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts)
- kosher salt
- melted (unsalted) butter
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
I quickly peel and dice up 3 of each honeycrisp apples and anjou pears. The pears are ripe yet still quite firm.
Then to the apples and pears, add 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of both ground ginger and freshly grated nutmeg. Next use a microplane and grate in 3/4 teaspoon of both lemon and orange zest. Then squeeze in 1 tablespoon of juice from each lemon and orange (I eyeball the juice quantity).
Next just toss it all together…
…and then pour it into a lightly greased baking dish.
In a small bowl combine 3/4 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, a 1/2 cup chopped nuts, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and pour in 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Stir together until the butter is worked in to the dry ingredients.
Lastly, just use your fingers to form small crumbles and scatter them across the top of the apple pear crisp.
Bake at 400° on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes. That’s it!
Scoop and serve with ice cream.
Easy Apple Pear Crumble
FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 medium honeycrisp apples
- 3 medium anjou pears, ripe yet still firm to the touch
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 400° and lightly butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine; apples, pears, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, lemon and orange zest and juice. Toss to combine and spread out evenly into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl combine the crumble ingredients. Pinch pieces between your fingers and scatter over top of the apple and pear mixture.
- Place on the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the crumble is golden and the apples and pears are bubbling.
- Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!