Creamy Lemon Chicken with Spinach is a flavorful and rustic skillet main dish. Chicken breasts are seasoned with lemon pepper and paprika, seared until golden and nestled in a creamy garlicky, lemon and thyme sauce with spinach. This recipe is great with pasta or rice and with a roasted or grilled veggie on the side. Serves 4 in about 40 minutes.
Today I woke up and there was snow on the ground. I kid you not. It’s a week into April and it still feels like winter. I’m 100%, sick and tired of cold weather. It feels as if winter has lasted an entire year. I just want to open my windows, plant my herbs and NOT wear boots! I’m craving grilled salmon and orzo salad but the weather is forcing me to make comfort foods still. Until I decided to bring a little spring indoors.
I frist started by making this creamy lemon chicken recipe. I served it over angel hair pasta with asparagus and a glass of wine on the side. It was just what I needed to lift my melancholy mood.
With ingredients like shallots and garlic, lemon, wine and spinach. It’s a skillet dinner that tastes like a million bucks.
To Make this Cream Lemon Chicken You Will Need:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- lemon pepper
- fresh thyme
- lemon juice
- heavy cream
- broth (optional)
- baby spinach
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper.
First, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of light olive oil on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken with lemon pepper and paprika.
Next, sear the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on both sides before transferring it to a clean platter, then tent with foil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low before adding the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Next add in the 1/3 cup of diced shallot, 3 cloves of minced garlic, and 3/4 teaspoon of minced fresh thyme leaves. Sauté until tender and golden brown.
Now increase the heat to medium-high and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a few splashes of dry white wine. Next simmer until reduced, use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom. Those brown bits on the bottom of the pan are money and the flavor base of this sauce!
Now I personally added 1/4 cup of low-sodium chicken broth to lighten up our sauce, but this is optional. Just know that the sauce might not be as thick if you add the broth. Then pour in 3/4 cup of heavy cream and simmer until the sauce has started to thicken.
Next add in 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese and 2 handfuls of baby spinach. Still continuously until the spinach has wilted.
Lastly, return the chicken to the pan, cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Finally taste and season the sauce with salt and pepper to your preference.
Spoon the lusciously, creamy and lemony parmesan cheese sauce over top of the chicken right before serving.
You of course can plate it as is or over pasta with spoonfuls of the sauce and a sprinkle of fresh minced parsley over top.
Creamy Lemon Chicken with Spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 4 shakes lemon pepper
- 2 shakes paprika
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, like sauvignon blanc
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth**, optional (see notes)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- parsley, minced, for serving
- Preheat 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of light olive in a deep-sided 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of the chicken with lemon pepper and paprika.
- Once the pan is hot, sear the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes on both sides or until the chicken releases easily from the pan. Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add in the shallot, garlic and thyme. Stir and cook until tender and golden, about 4 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and add in the lemon juice and wine. Stir, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat back to medium-low, add in the heavy cream (and broth if using) and simmer until it starts to thicken. Then add in the parmesan and spinach and stir until the spinach has wilted. Return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Taste and season the sauce if needed and spoon it over the chicken, garnishing with a sprinkle of minced fresh parsley.
**Add broth for a lighter, thinner sauce. Just know that the sauce might not be as thick if you add the broth.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!