Chicken Forester Soup is a creamy soup consisting of chicken, mushrooms, spinach and rice. Simple yet satisfying, and perfect with a hunk of grainy bread. Yields 8 servings in under an hour.
Happy December! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I’ve been holding onto this recipe for awhile now. A few weekends ago, my mom stopped by for a short visit. She brought a container of Chicken Forester Soup from a nearby market for us to have for lunch and I heated up a loaf of bread for us to dip in our soup.
My mom recently discovered this soup and it quickly became one of her favorites and she hoped I could taste it and do my best to recreate it. In it, mushrooms, spinach and shredded cooked chicken along with a smattering of rice are swimming in a light creamy broth. It is earthy and so delicious that I wrote out a rough draft for the recipe that night. To be fair, my mom left me the label with somewhat of an ingredient list to go by.
With that said, personally, I think I nailed it. 😉
To Make This Chicken Forester Soup You Will Need:
- low-sodium chicken broth
- half & half
- unsalted butter
- yellow onion
- rubbed sage
- garlic powder
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- long grain white rice
- baby spinach
- leftover shredded cooked chicken
- freshly ground black pepper
In a saucepan, pour in 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, 2 cups water and 2 cups half & half and heat on low to medium-low until warm.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a dutch oven over medium heat.
Add in 1/2 of a yellow onion that has been diced fine.
Add in 1 pound sliced mushrooms and toss in the butter. I’m using a blend of cremini (or baby Bella), shiitake and oyster mushrooms. However, you can totally use whatever you can find or prefer.
Toss the mushrooms in the butter before adding in 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Next, sprinkle with 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour.
Stir and cook the flour for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in 1/3 cup long grain wild rice.
While stirring, pour in the warm broth and half & half into the dutch oven with the mushrooms.
Bring to a simmer and cook until the rice has cooked and the soup has thickened. About 20 to 25 minutes.
Once thickened, add in 8 ounces baby spinach and 2 to 3 cups leftover cooked and shredded chicken.
Stir and cook until the chicken is heated through and the spinach has wilted.
Taste and season with 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste) and lots of freshly ground black pepper, also to taste.
Ladle the hot soup into bowls.
And serve with a loaf of crusty, whole grain bread.
This soup makes a lot and can easily be reheated, slowly on the stove top or in a microwave.
Chicken Forester Soup
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups half & half*
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced (a blend of cremini, button, shiitake and/or oyster)
- 3/4 teaspoon sage, rubbed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup long grain white rice
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded leftover roasted or rotisserie
- 4 to 5 handfuls baby spinach
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Pour the broth, water and half & half into a sauce pan and heat on low until warm. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium to medium-low heat. Add in the onion with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook until soft and translucent. About 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, sage, garlic powder and turmeric. Stir and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in lour and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the rice and while stirring, pour in warm liquids. Bring to a simmer on medium-to medium high and then reduce heat to low until soup has thickened and rice is cooked. About 20 minutes.
- Stir in shredded chicken, baby spinach and cook until the chicken is heated through and the spinach has wilted.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!