These Maple Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potato Casserole is sweet and savory and the crumb topping is absolutely delicious!
There’s one more Thanksgiving-y dish I want to share with you.
This is the recipe that set my Thanksgiving wheels in motion. I know- I know, it’s two days before turkey day but I actually made this casserole back in October for Tablespoon and I have been biting my nails, eager to share this recipe with you ever since.
It begins with roasted sweet potatoes…
Then there’s the whole Bourbon meets orange zest meets cinnamon, nutmeg and BUTTER… like. whoa.
And as if adding bourbon wasn’t luxurious enough… I scattered a brown sugar, pecan and bacon streusel over top and baked it.
This casserole is AMAZING! And I’m super glad no one in my house likes sweet potatoes… more for moi!
These bourbon bacon sweet potato casserole is sweet and savory and the crumb topping is absolutely delicious!
Maple Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potato Casserole
FOR THE SWEET POTATOES:
- ghee spray, or olive oil spray
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup half & half, see notes
FOR THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 slices maple bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
ROAST THE SWEET POTATOES:
- Preheat your oven to 375° and spray a 9x13 baking dish.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and roast them whole on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet for 1 hour or until a fork pierces easily. Remove, carefully cut in half and let cool until safe to handle.
MAKE THE STREUSEL:
- In a small bowl, use a pastry blender to cut the whole wheat flour, brown sugar and kosher salt with the cold butter until small, pea-size pieces form.
- Add in chopped cooked bacon, pecans and use your hands to form large crumbles. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
MAKE THE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE:
- In a sauce pan, add 6 tablespoons butter, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour in the bourbon and maple syrup, bring to a low simmer until the butter has melted and small bubbles start to form. Remove off of the heat.
- Once sweet potatoes are safe to handle, use a spoon to scrape out the flesh and add it to a large mixing bowl. Season with 1½ teaspoons kosher salt and mash until smooth.
- Pour the maple bourbon butter in with the sweet potatoes and mix until incorporated.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Scatter with the chilled bacon pecan streusel.
- Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.1
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!