This Asian Cabbage Slaw is a light and healthy! A blend of cabbage, veggies and peanuts is tossed in a flavorful ginger basil dressing. This crunchy slaw will serve 6+.
This is what I call summer in a bowl.
You guys I’m so excited about this slaw because is loaded-to-the-max with veggies and is pretty darn healthy. This slaw is crunchy, flavorful and it’s one of those slaws that can be transformed from side dish to main dish with the addition of some protein.
I made this recipe for a few of my girlfriends last weekend when Pat was up north wild turkey hunting. And you know what they say; “when the guy is away, the girl will invite her girlfriends over for dinner and wine”.
Or something like that.
To Make This Asian Cabbage Salad You Will Need:
- ginger basil dressing
- green cabbage
- purple cabbage
- romaine lettuce or baby spinach
- red bell pepper
- matchstick carrots
- green onions
- chopped peanuts
- black sesame seeds
To Make the Ginger Basil Dressing You Will Need:
- extra light olive oil
- lime juice
- coconut aminos or low-sodium tamari
- fish sauce
- toasted sesame oil
- fresh basil
- kosher salt
First, start by making the dressing. In a glass jar (or any container with a tight fitting lid) measure and add 3 tablespoons extra light olive oil, juice of 1 large lime (about 2 tablespoons), 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos (or use low-sodium tamari or low sodium soy sauce). Next add in 1 teaspoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root and 1/2 teaspoon grated garlic. Lastly, add in 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil and season with kosher salt to taste.
Secure the lid and give it a good shake. Set it off to the side and move on to the slaw.
In a large mixing bowl add; 2 cups each sliced green and purple cabbage (about 1/2 a small head each), 1 medium head romaine (thinly sliced) or sub with 1 generous cup of thinly sliced baby spinach, 1 cup matchstick carrots, 3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper, 1 bunch of sliced green onions, 1 jalapeño minced (seeded for less heat).
To that add 1/4 cup cilantro (roughly chopped) and 1/3 cup coarsely chopped unsalted peanuts.
Pour in the ginger basil dressing.
Toss well to combine.
Finally, serve with extra basil, cilantro, chopped peanuts and black sesame seeds.
I could really make a meal out of this healthy Asian cabbage slaw. It’s packed full of nutritious goodness and makes putting down a slab of that cheesecake totally worth it.
Asian Cabbage Slaw with Basil Ginger Dressing
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos, or low-sodium tamari
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoon sliced fresh basil - plus more for serving
- kosher salt, to taste
FOR THE SLAW:
- 1/2 small green cabbage, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small purple cabbage, sliced thin (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium head of romaine, about 1 generous cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped - plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, for garnish
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- In a glass jar, measure and add olive oil, lime juice, tamari, honey, toasted sesame oil, fish sauce, grated ginger, garlic, basil and a couple pinches of kosher salt.
- Secure the lid and shake well to combine.
MAKE THE SLAW:
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the sliced cabbages and romaine (or sliced baby spinach), carrots, red bell pepper, jalapeño, green onions, cilantro and peanuts.
- Pour in the dressing and toss well to coat.
- Serve topped with extra basil, cilantro, chopped peanuts and black sesame seeds.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!