Homemade Stromboli

If you’ve ever wanted to know how to make stromboli… well, this is the post.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com

Stromboli basically is a pizza rolled up into a loaf and baked. Really, it’s as simple as that.

I like to fill mine with smear of pizza sauce {although adding the sauce is not considered authentic, but who gives a care?} then I add layers of three kinds of meat and lots of mozzarella cheese. Truthfully you could stuff this with just about anything and call it good… errr stromboli. I mean, sausage, peppers and onions… you name it. The sky is the limit my friends.

In fact, that may be a post in the near future.

Homemade Stromboli via www.SimplyScratch.com

Besides being super versatile, what’s cool about stromboli is that it can be lunch, dinner or a yummy appetizer at your next party. Just be sure to serve it up with a bowl of the warm homemade pizza sauce for dunking, you know… to make the whole experience complete.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com homemade pizza dough

First I made a batch of my homemade pizza dough, I let it rise on the counter covered for 1 hour…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com deflate

…then pressed all of the air out.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com floured

On a lightly floured surface…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com rolled thin

I rolled it out to a large rectangle.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com on pan

Then I rolled it up onto my rolling pin and gently laid it out onto a parchment lined, rimmed sheet pan.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com homemade pizza sauce

Earlier, while the dough was rising, I went to town making my homemade pizza sauce. I make this sauce ALL the time, it takes 20 minutes or so and is SO good. Here’s the recipe. Do it.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com spoon on sauce

I spooned 8 tablespoons of the pizza sauce onto the dough…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com spread

…and spread it out leaving a 1/2 inch border on three sides and a 2 inch border on one of the longer sides.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com mozzarella 1

Sprinkle half of the mozzarella over top of the sauce…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com sandwich pepperoni

Next, arrange 15 slices of sandwich pepperoni on top of the sauce and cheese. Sandwich pepperoni is larger than regular pepperoni and you can typically ask for it at the deli counter. It’s my favorite pepperoni to use for pizzas.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com ham

Moving on, top with 9 to 10 slices of ham…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com Genoa salami

12 slices of Genoa salami…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com rest of cheese

…and then sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com egg wash

Grab an egg and 1 tablespoon of water and whisk those together.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com brush 2

Brush some of the egg wash around all of the edges.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com fold the sides

Fold the edges over on one…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com fold sides 2

…two…

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com fold once

…three of the sides. Leaving the 2 inch border side un-tucked.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com use paper to fold

I use the parchment to roll the pizza dough one third of the way.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com fold the other side

Then I grab the other side of the parchment and pull it over the top of the stromboli.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com center of pan

Then positioned it in the center of the pan with the seam-side-down.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com brush with egg wash

Then brush the entire thing, top, sides and ends… with egg wash.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com make slits

Use a paring knife to make diagonal slits for venting any steam.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com fresh grated parmesan

Lastly… grate fresh Parmesan cheese over top and bake on the middle rack of a preheated 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the temp to 375 degrees and continue to bake for 10-12 more minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com baked

Let the baked stromboli cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com

Cheesy, meaty and pizza goodness.

Homemade Stromboli ll www.SimplyScratch.com

We had this for dinner next to a chopped salad and a bowl full of pizza sauce. Not much was said during dinner as we devoured our slices, everyone was too busy enjoying every single pizza-sauce-dunked-bite.

It was a fun meal and is always a crowd pleaser.

Enjoy!

Homemade Stromboli l www.SimplyScratch.com #recipe

Homemade Stromboli

Pepperoni, salami and ham along with pizza sauce and mozzarella is rolled up in homemade pizza dough and baked until perfect.

Yield: 6-8 servings

Prep Time: 1+ hour

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

1 recipe for Homemade Pizza Dough

1 recipe for Homemade Pizza Sauce, divided

1 8 ounce brick of Mozzarella Cheese, grated

15 thin slices of Sandwich Pepperoni

10 thin slices of Ham

12 thin slices Genoa Salami

1 whole Egg

1 tablespoon Water

3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees and line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper

On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to a large rectangle.

Spoon on 8 tablespoons of pizza sauce and spread it over 3/4 of the pizza dough leaving an 1/2 inch border on three sides and a 2 inch border on the longer side.

Sprinkle with half of the grated mozzarella and top with the pepperoni, ham and salami. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg and water and brush the edges with the egg wash.

Fold over the three {1/2 inch sides} and using the parchment paper, roll the dough 1/3 of the way. Grab the other side of the parchment {the side with the 2-inch border} and fold it over the rest of the way. Position the stromboli in the center of the pan, seam-side down.

Brush the entire thing with egg wash and make diagonal slits for venting. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and continue to bake for 10-12 minutes more.

Remove and allow the stromboli to cool for 5 minutes before slicing 1 to 2 inch strips.

Serve alongside the remaining warm pizza sauce for dunking.

NOTE: You can always check and make sure the dough is cooked in the center of the stromboli by cutting it in half (after baking) in the center. The edges bake up first and then continues to bake inward. If the dough isn't cooked all the way through, then just put it back together and into the oven for 5 minute intervals {at 375 degrees} until cooked through.

24 Responses to “Homemade Stromboli”

Katie @ The Surly Housewife — June 23, 2014 at 1:04 am

This looks awesome!! Pizza is my go-to since I always have dough in the freezer. I will have to try it this way soon :) Pinned!

Kathryn — June 23, 2014 at 4:21 am

Oh goodness! Look at all that pizza-y goodness, rolled up in a handy package all ready for me to eat!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — June 23, 2014 at 6:29 am

I actually just ventured into bread making, and I found it so much fun and a lot easier than I thought!
    Now, I want to make all kinds of bread. And, like every normal person, I always want pizza.
    This stromboli is basically perfect for my life. NEED! Pinned!

Laura @ Raise Your Garden — June 23, 2014 at 8:01 am

I love stomboli but lack the confidence to make it myself. Locally, they call stomboli Pods at the restaurants and they are excellent.

But as usual, you just have the best recipes. I’m always so excited to see what you’ll come up with next because it’s all so yummy looking.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 10:48 am

You may be surprised because it’s actually fairly easy! But I know how you feel, I use to fear dough of all forms. However the more you do it the more confident you’ll get!

Thanks so much for, you are so kind! Have a wonderful day Laura!

krissyw — June 23, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I’ve made your calzone recipe so many times..we love it! So I know this will be another favorite…can’t wait!

Chi Chi — June 23, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Oh boy. I am finally getting your emails again (thank God!) and this recipe is one that may just squash my fear of making dough. Why am I so afraid?

jesse — June 23, 2014 at 3:52 pm

We just had this for supper! It tasted so good…my 3 year old called it a ”meat cinamon bun”. I ended up having the middle a little undercooked and doughy though…did I not roll my dough thin enough? or not cook it long enough? any tricks to knowing for sure that its fully cooked all the way through? thanks

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 24th, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

Oh my gosh, I love it! Your three year old is pretty clever!

It could have been a couple things; the dough might not have been rolled out thin enough and/or needed more time in the oven. My oven is smaller than most and I believe it runs hot too. But I should note {and will in the recipe printable} that you can always check it by cutting it in half in the center {the edges bake up first and then moves inward} and if the dough isn’t cooked all the way through, then just put it back together and into the oven for 5 minute intervals {at 375 degrees} until cooked through. It’s definitely happened to me before, but it’s an easy fix.

I hope this helps Jesse!

Muna Kenny — June 24, 2014 at 12:51 am

To me Stromboli means pizza with less mess and yours looks so delicious!

I’m so glad I found your blog again, I’ve been searching for it since few months and the problem was I could only remember the word (Simply) but I couldn’t recall the rest of your blog’s name. Now, while searching for a completely different recipe than Stromboli, Google (Thankfully) suggested your blog :)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Thank you so much! I’m glad we reunited… welcome back ;)

Heather @ Upholstery cleaning Croydon — June 24, 2014 at 4:07 am

I’ve never seen Stromboli before and think that is awesome idea. Rolled up pizza sounds and looks amazingly delicious!

Megs — June 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Umm. Yeah. Can I just come over and have you make me some? Yeah?! Thanks! I’ll be right there! YUMMMYYYY!!! Looks SO good!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 10:16 am

Ha-ha absolutely! :)

Leisa Joan — June 24, 2014 at 1:15 pm

i’ve been making a variation of this for years…my friend calls it Pepperoni Bread, as she only puts pepperoni & cheese in it…i like to use linguica, a portugese sausage w/the pepperoni, and usually 3 kinds of cheese, but i’m a cheese nut. i use a semolina/bread flour dough in my bread machine. yum yum. it makes everyone happy!!

jesse — June 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Just wanted to let you know i made it again tonight!! It turned out great! Thanks for the tips. Definitely a keeper of a recipe for our family.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 10:14 am

You are so welcome! I’m so glad to hear it worked out for you the second time! :)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — June 24, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Who can resist carbs that oozes meat and cheese. Not I, my friend… Not I. Pinned.

Tess — July 7, 2014 at 3:01 am

I made this yesterday, it was truly delicious. A recipe for success! And: I can make two at a time because it takes less oven space than a normal pizza.. One for dinner, one for the freezer. Ha!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 14th, 2014 @ 8:09 am

Brilliant idea Tess! I’m making one for the freezer next!

Melanie — July 8, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I am in love with this recipe. I tried it this past weekend and my family LOVED it! Thanks for the great recipe, am already dreaming of new adaptions to it, the possibilities are endless! ;)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 14th, 2014 @ 8:10 am

I agree! I’m jotting down new filling combinations to try next! :)