Homemade Pizza Dough From Scratch + Grilled Pizza!

Pizza dough from scratch is the only way to make pizzas. This is my fool proof and easy recipe for homemade pizza dough and how to grill it to perfection!

Today… I’ve brought you a lot of beige.

Beige bowl. Beige pizza dough… beige, beige, beige, BEIGE, blah. Sorry.

Homemade Pizza Dough

After the 167th time of being asked if I had a pizza dough recipe on my blog I finally realized that it might not be the easiest recipe to find here on SS. That’s ummm, because I did the step-by-step of it for a calzone recipe… but hey it’s still a great reference if you don’t have a Kitchen Aid and want to make it by hand. But since I have one of those beasts… and strongly dislike wearing dough-gloves while mixing, I thought that I should probably make this pizza dough recipe a post all in its own. Ya know… so you can actually find it.

Homemade. From scratch pizza dough is where it’s at you guys. I tell ya, it’s easier than it looks and the more times you make it… the more you’ll be able to do it with your eyes closed.

Homemade Pizza Dough + Grilled Pizza l www.SimplyScratch.com

PLUS. I made grilled pizza… and who doesn’t love the sound of that?

Honey

In the bowl to your mixer add some honey… about a half teaspoon, I eyeball it.

warm water (115-120 degrees)

Add a cup of water that is between 115-120 degrees (my mom goes by instinct… I use a digital thermometer [affiliate], I’m not that good) and quickly whisk so the honey and water become one.

yeast sprinkle

Sprinkle in a packet of yeast, DO NOT MIX.

proofed

Let it just sit there and puff up.

olive oil

Add in a skosh of olive oil… like about a teaspoon. Again, I eyeball it.

salt

Some salt is next… 3/4 of a teaspoon will do.

mix in flour

Add a cup of flour… mix.

more flour and mix

More flour… repeat.

pulls clean from the bowl

Add all of the flour until the dough is sticky… but not wet and pulls clean from the sides of the bowl.

ball

Form a ball… EAAAAAASY.

lightly oiled bowl

Plop it into a good-size ball that has a splash of olive oil in the bottom. Roll the ball around and up the sides to coat the dough and bowl completely with olive oil.

throw a towel on it

Cover with a towel and let’er rise for an hour.

Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch l SimplyScratch.com

Pla-dow! Pizza dough from scratch! You know it’s ready when it has doubled in size.

Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch l SimplyScratch.com

Punch down the dough with your fingers…

Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch l SimplyScratch.com

Lightly flour a large cutting board and sprinkle the dough as well…

spread it out

With your impeccably clean hands, work the dough into a shape that will fit on your grill or on a pan in your oven.

clean and oil

Preheat your grill to high. Clean the grates and rub with a little olive oil. I drizzled some olive oil on a paper towel and used tongs to wipe every square inch. ALSO this is very important: make sure all of your ingredients are ready to go; sauce made, cheese grated… etc. Have it all by the grill because this pizza moves FAST.

slap it on...

Once hot; open the lid for a few to let the heat escape a tad, reduce the temp to medium-high and slide the dough onto your grill.

golden edges

Check on the pizza crust after 3-4 minutes. Watch for the bottom side to start getting nice and golden. And for the record, no I did NOT purposefully shape my pizza to look like a stocking. It’s cool… but not that cold.

flip

Using tongs and a flipper-do, I flipped the dough onto my cutting board. I reduced the temp again to medium…

flip, reduce temp and schmear on the sauce

… And slid the dough off and back onto the grill. Working fast, I smothered it in this sauce…

sprinkle with cheese and top with pepperoni

Topped it with grated farmers cheese {or use Mozzarella} and topped it with as many pepperonis as I could fit.

Close the lid and let the grills heat circulate to melt the cheese… I also sprinkled it with Parmesan. I couldn’t resist.

Homemade Pizza Dough + Grilled Pizza ll www.SimplyScratch.com

Once the cheese is melted and the bottom side of the pizza is golden… I pulled it back onto the cutting board and let it cool down for a smidge.

There is nothing like a pizza made from pizza dough from scratch.

Grilled Pepperoni Pizza l www.SimplyScratch.com

I urge you to grill your next pizza. It’s WAY faster and tastes unbelievable. I prefer the darker edges, but you knew that already.

I know it feels like fall out there, especially here in the mitten. But it’s never, EVER too cold for pizza.

Oh and here’s my whole wheat version!

Enjoy! And if you give this Pizza dough from scratch recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch l SimplyScratch.com

Homemade Pizza Dough from Scratch + Grilled Pizza

Easy-peasy homemade pizza dough recipe.

Yield: 1 large, two medium pizzas

1/2 teaspoon honey

1 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)

1 packet (2-1/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon for oiling the bowl

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed

In the bowl of your mixer add the 1/2 teaspoon of honey.

Pour in 1 cup of warm water {115-120 degrees} and whisk. Sprinkle in the packet of yeast and let it sit and get all puffy.

Pour in a half teaspoon of olive oil, a half teaspoon of kosher salt and a cup of the flour. Mix adding the rest of the flour gradually.

Keep mixing until the dough pulls easily from the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if necessary {a couple tablespoons at a time}.

Add a splash of olive oil to a large, clean bowl.

Form the dough into a ball and place it into the bowl. Toss the dough ball around and up the sides of the bowl to coat.

Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for an hour or until doubled in size.

Once the dough has risen, punch the dough down until deflated. Lightly flour a work surface and the dough ball and reshape it into a ball.

Using your fingers press the dough out into your desired size to fit your grill or pan. I use a cutting board that so I can transport the pizza dough to the grill and so it will slide of easily.

FOR THE GRILLED PIZZA:

Preheat your grill to high, clean your grill and lightly oil the grates with some paper towel that you've doused with a little olive oil. Once hot, open the lid and let the hot air out. Reduce the temp to medium-high and slide the dough onto the grill.

Close the lid and let the dough grill up for 4 minutes or until the underneath of the dough starts turning golden brown.

Turn the grilled dough {grilled side up} onto your cutting board. Reduce the temp once more down to medium. Slide the dough back onto the grill and quickly slather it with pizza sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese, top with pepperoni and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Close the lid and continue to grill the pizza for 4 to 6 minutes or until the bottom of the pizza is golden and the cheese has melted.

Pull the grilled pizza back onto the cutting board and let it rest a bit.

Slice and serve!

55 Responses to “Homemade Pizza Dough From Scratch + Grilled Pizza!”

Tieghan Gerard — August 15, 2013 at 8:18 am

Nothing beat homemade pizza dough and everything is better on the grill! Such a great post!

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pig — August 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

I love grilling pizza, it’s so quick and easy!!

cassie — August 15, 2013 at 10:45 am

We do a lot of grilled pizza around here. Love the sound of your recipe with the honey!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — August 15, 2013 at 11:40 am

I made a grilled pizza a year ago and I think it’s time for me to make another one. This looks delicious.

Kathryn — August 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love love love homemade pizza especially on the grill!

Alan — August 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I didn’t know it was this easy to make. Wow, it wasn’t as complicated as I thought. Hmm, I guess this is much cheaper then buying it at Pizza Pizza.

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — August 15, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I personally think all of the beige is gorgeous. 🙂 I love grilled pizza and nothing beats homemade crust Laurie!

Julia @ hungryandconfused — August 16, 2013 at 6:11 am

Looks delicious. Makes me wish I had a grill!

David — August 16, 2013 at 9:31 am

fyi – 1 yeast packet = 2 & 1/4 tsp. (“flipper-do”? Really?)

• simplyscratch replied: — August 16th, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

Thanks. And yes, really. 😉

Sarah Blunt — August 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

Wow! I never thought pizza can be cooked so easy. Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I love it! 🙂

krissyw — August 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’ve been making your pizza dough recipe since you posted that calzone recipe…..it’s my favorite and always turns out great!

Amber@BareNaturalMommy — August 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm

I love the way that pizza looks on the grill! I too always make your calzone recipe, one of my husbands absolute favorites! Thanks for your great recipes.

Kathy C — August 18, 2013 at 5:43 pm

What can you substitute for the honey. This looks great. Never thought to make pizza on the grill. I usually make the dough with my bread maker. Comes out great and so easy. The mixer is handy too. Come visit my blog. Just starting to get it going.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 11:00 am

You could swap it out with sugar… but maybe us a little less. 🙂

Amy Cochran — August 19, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hi Laurie! I made this pizza last night and it was awesome! The crust had such a nice taste to it. I found it challenging to get the dough onto the grill.
    I just had a quick question, most pizza dough recipes call for several minutes of kneading. Would you mind explaining why kneading isn’t necessary in this recipe?
    Thanks so much!!

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:51 am

Oh sure Amy! Great question! It’s because all the kneading is done in the mixer. The dough hook does all the work so your hands don’t have to 😉

Lindsay — August 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Made this last night, topped mine with carmelized onions, sundried tomatoes, and fontina and mozzarella chesses! Thanks for the great how-to! Everyone I know kept saying they haven’t had any luck with grilling pizza, but this was easy and I love how crispy it is throughout the pizza due to cooking it on both sides! Will have to make this with a group of friends soon. Love your blog, make your stuff all the time! (Also, a fellow Michigander! LOL)

Matt Lisowe — October 25, 2013 at 8:11 pm

No Grill: Suggestions for making in oven?

Josie W — November 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Just made this pizza dough, fabulous!! Unfortunately I had to bake it in the oven but it was delicious. Perfect thin-ness, baked crisp – we enjoyed it so much. Can’t wait to make the honey wheat. Our only choice up here is a pizza chain, this is so much better! Thanks for posting it.

Natalie — October 21, 2014 at 2:58 pm

How long approximately for it to get “puffy” after adding the yeast packet??

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 21st, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

Hi Natalie! It’s 10 minutes

Olivia C — May 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Can you make the dough ahead and refrigerate or freezer?

Jamaal G. — July 15, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Can you make the dough, let it rise, and then refrigerate for use the next day?

Roxanne — September 6, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Can I use active yeast? In my country we don’t really have access to dry ones. If I can, than how much will be enough? (In one box there is 100 grams of active yeast)

1. Pingback: How-To of the Day Round-Up: August 12-16, 2013 -

2. Pingback: Caprese Calzone | sailingfork.comsailingfork.com

3. Pingback: Dough, dough dough, D’oh! | tasteharmony

4. Pingback: Are How Do You Make Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza | Pizza Cooking

5. Pingback: Nice How To Make Indian Pizza At Home In Oven | Pizza Cooking

6. Pingback: Amazing Vegan Cooking School Nyc | Pizza Cooking

7. Pingback: How Do Vegan Home Cooking | Pizza Cooking

8. Pingback: Cheap Toppings Pizza Wilton Manors | Pizza Cooking

9. Pingback: Is Healthy Pizza Recipes With Chicken | Pizza Cooking

10. Pingback: Nice How To Make Low Calorie Spinach Pizza | Pizza Cooking

11. Pingback: Where To Find Cook Pizza Base Before Topping | Pizza Cooking

12. Pingback: When Will Homemade Pizza Dough Breadsticks Recipe | Pizza Cooking

13. Pingback: When Will Homemade Multigrain Pizza Dough Recipe | Pizza Cooking

14. Pingback: I Would Like To Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe Kitchenaid Mixer | Pizza Cooking

15. Pingback: Will The Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe Italian | Pizza Cooking