Homemade Cheesy Potatoes

It’s funny how things change. As a kid I couldn’t wait to book-it down the stairs in my purple house coat to find my Easter basket and hunt for hidden dyed eggs with my sisters.

Now I look forward to the cheesy potatoes.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes via www.SimplyScratch.com

Okay so that’s half true. I still enjoy dying eggs with my daughter’s and seeing them hunt for them and their baskets. But the adult in me is always excited about the food. You didn’t see that coming, did ya?

On my mom’s side of the family cheesy potatoes were strictly for consumption on Easter. I never understood why that was. Obviously they’re deliciously perfect with ham and baked beans… but why not have them on a random day of the week or something. They’re too good to tie down to one day a year. Anyhoo, whoever was in charge of bringing the cheesy potatoes that year it was a known requirement to make a double batch. A triple batch if my firefighter brother-in-law Jeff was wasn’t working because these are his favorite. You’d think with that much cheesy casserole goodness there were sure to be leftovers right? Never.

So one year I decided to venture out and make them from scratch. Crazy? Yes. Delicious? Oh yeah! It isn’t as easy as opening a few bags of hash brown potatoes and mixing them with cream of chicken or mushroom soup. But in my opinion… it’s a million times better and truly not all that time consuming.

Unless you decide to double or triple it. Peeling 6 to 9 pounds of potatoes… oy. It can be done though, believe me.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com ingredients

The ingredient list is pretty simple stuff.  Potatoes, onions, garlic, broth milk, flour, s &p butter and sour cream. One thing I’m missing is green onions. DOH! I swear I think I was all hyped up on the fact I was having cheesy potatoes on a Monday that I forgot’em.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com cold water

Start by filling a large pot 2/3 of the way full with cold water.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com peeled potatoes

Roughly peel 3 pounds of russet potatoes. I like to leave some of the skin on… to really drive the “hey look these are from scratch” appearance.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com planks

With a sharp knife, slice the potato in to planks.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com strips

Then slice them into sticks, two planks at a time.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com cubes

Then dice them into half-inch cubes.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com add potatoes to pot

Throw the cubed potatoes into the pot with water. Cover and cook for 8 minutes.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com drain potatoes

Once the timer *dings* remove the pot off of the burner and pour the potatoes into colander that is set into a sink. Not pictured is the huge mess from the over boil. Ugh! Every. Single. Time.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com diced onion

Meanwhile; chop up a yellow onion until you have a half cup.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com minced garlic

Smash, peel and mince up one clove of garlic.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com sliced green onions

Slice up three to four green onions. These add a bright flavor and a much needed pop of green.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com shredded cheese

And grate up some sharp Colby cheese. Cheddar works fine in this too. Cheddar works fine in pretty much anything {especially pie crust} but I like to use a local Michigan sharp Colby in thesee… but you could definitely switch it up use what you like.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com butter

In a 10-inch skillet melt three tablespoons of butter.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com add onions

And add in the diced yellow onion.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com garlic

Once soft add in the minced clove of garlic and cook for a minute or two.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com sprinkle with flour

Sprinkle the 2-1/2 tablespoons of all purpose flour over top.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com stir and cook 2 to 3 minutes

Stir until the flour is absorbed and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com milk and chicken broth

Pour in a 1/2 cup of both low-sodium chicken broth and whole milk. Stir, stir, stir.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com stir

Turn up the heat to medium and jussssst keeeeep stirrrrring.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com thick and creamy

Once the mixture is creamy and thick, remove it from the burner.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com sour cream

Add in a cup of cold sour cream…

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com smooth

…and stir until combined. The cold sour cream will bring the broth/onion mixtures temperature down so when you add it to the bowl it won’t instantly melt the cheese.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com potatoes

Throw the cooled, drained potatoes into a large bowl.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com sour cream mixture and green onions

Add in the sour cream mixture and the green onions.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com s + p

Season this mess with 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com cheese

Throw in the {packed} cup of grated cheese…

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com mix

And toss. Really I could just sit on the couch with this and a spoon… no one would know.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com butter a 8x11 casserole dish

Buuuuuut I decided to go on and grease an 8×11 baking dish with butter instead.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com pour into baking dish

Throw the potato mixture in the dish…

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com spread evenly and bake

Spread it evenly and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. I rotate it half way to ensure even cooking and browning. It’s done when bubbling hot and smelling awesome.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com

Let the cheesy potatoes cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com #homemade

So there we were… eating dinner and I look around at everyone’s plate. The mounds of cheesy potato goodness piled high on all our plates was laughable. My husband looks at me and says “these are the best cheesy potatoes I’ve ever had.” It was a verbal dozen roses like when he does the dishes or makes me a cup of coffee.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes l www.SimplyScratch.com crusty cheesy bits

It had been a few years since I’ve made them and they were just as I remember.

Awesome.

Enjoy!

Oh and PS… those crispy edges are all MINE.

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes via www.SimplyScratch.com

Homemade Cheesy Potatoes

No frozen bags of hash browns, zero cans of condensed soup... just homemade cheesy potato goodness from scratch!

Yield: 6-8 servings

1/2 cup Whole Milk

1 cup Sour Cream

3 Green Onions, sliced

3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper

1 cup grated Sharp Colby Cheese

Roughly peel pounds of russet potatoes, leaving a little bit of skin on if desired. Slice the potatoes into planks, then strips and dice into cubes. Add the cubed potatoes into a pot of cold water, bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes. Remove and drain the potatoes into a colander set into a sink. Let the potatoes cool.

In a 10-inch skillet add three tablespoons of butter. Over medium-low melt the butter and then add in the diced onions. Cook until just softened and add in the minced garlic. Cook for one minute.

Sprinkle in the flour and stir, cooking for 2-3 minutes. While stirring, pour in the 1/2 cup of broth and 1/2 cup of whole milk. Continue to stir until thick, about 5-8 minutes.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cup of cold sour cream.

In a large bowl add in the cooled potatoes, onion and sour cream mixture, green onions, salt, pepper and grated Colby cheese. Stir to combine and pour in the prepared pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and lightly golden. Let cool for 20-25 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

37 Responses to “Homemade Cheesy Potatoes”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

Cheesy potatoes are the freaking best. LOVE this!

Katie — April 16, 2014 at 8:04 am

In our family these are called “fabulous potatoes”. Your homemade version looks even more fabulous!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 10:24 am

Thanks Katie! I like the name ‘fabulous potatoes’ even better! :)

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — April 16, 2014 at 8:50 am

I definitely look forward to the food the most for any holiday. Especially ones that involve cheesy goodness like these potatoes!

Aggie — April 16, 2014 at 9:36 am

Yuuum!! I have fond memories of matching purple dresses with my sister on Easter. :) These potatoes look amazing!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 10:23 am

Love it! Thanks Aggie!

Marilyn — April 16, 2014 at 9:52 am

I can’t wait to make this dish. Looks yummy!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 16th, 2014 @ 10:22 am

Thank you Marilyn! Enjoy!

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — April 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

Mmm, I’m on potato duty this year and might have to change it up with these and hope the kids don’t revolt about the lack of mashed cheesy bacon potatoes we usually go with :) Love the story too!

Felecia — April 16, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hi Laurie! These potatoes look delicious! I was going to make mac-n-cheese, but now I’m thinking these! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

cheri — April 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes and this particular one looks amazing.

Laura @ Raise Your Garden — April 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Hello!

I can’t tell you how happy these potatoes are making me feel right now.

Hmmmm. This just might be the Easter dish brought to pass this year :)

Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try.

Paula — April 16, 2014 at 2:00 pm

My host on Easter will make the “prepared” ones, and they will be good, but we are having a 2nd family gathering in 2 weeks and these homemade ones (uh, double batch!) will be on the menu!!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — April 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

My family makes a dish very similar to this for brunch that we call Schwarty’s hashbrowns. They are so delicious but use canned soup. I love the sound of this made from scratch version!

Amy L — April 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

We also rarely enjoy this, probably because of all the unhealthy ingredients, so thank you for this recipe. I think I’ll try to tweek it for a 5 lb bag of potatoes – and you can bet I’m gonna walk on the wild side and completely double the amount of cheese.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:30 pm

LOVE IT! Enjoy Amy!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 16, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Whether it’s the egg dyeing or the endless buffet of food on Easter Sunday – I love it to pieces, and this its perfection Laur!

Katie @ The Surly Housewife — April 17, 2014 at 12:26 am

Oh my word do these look good. I could eat cheesy potatoes every day. Scratch that. I could LIVE on these things. Thanks for this awesome homemade version. Pinned and shared :)

Liz@Virtually Homemade — April 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

They look absolutely delicious!! Creamy cheesy good :)

lynn — April 17, 2014 at 12:47 pm

If you put a wooden spoon lengthwise over the pot, you won’t have any boil over :-)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:21 pm

Stooooop it! Really? I’m so trying this! Thanks :)

Emily @ Life on Food — April 18, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Oh my goodness, I just want to sink my face into this dish. Lovely!!

Greenlee — April 19, 2014 at 5:06 pm

In the oven right now. Deliciousness in 60 minutes!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

Booyah! Love it!

Michelle Lemus — April 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I made these for Easter and they were a huge hit! I actually made them the night before and cook them the next day. I added a little extra both just in case some got soaked up overnight. I used the left over potatoes the next morning sauteed in a pan for a ham and potato hash. I will definitely be making these on a regular basis. Thanks for posting!!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 10:52 pm

I’m so glad Michelle!! I love that you were able to make them in advance and bake later… total day-of time saver. Thanks for coming back and leaving a review! :)

Rebecca {foodie with family} — April 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Holy heck woman. I’d have to make a quadruple batch. Three to take, one to eat myself.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 10:51 pm

Amen Rebecca! I am with you!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures — April 22, 2014 at 9:44 am

This is way better than any cheesy potatoes you could make with a can of condensed soup!

DaniElla — April 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I’m pretty young, (under 18 haha), but this recipe was simple enough for even me to handle! It reminded me of a casserole my grandma used to make. I never had the recipe, but this tasted just like it. It was perfect, and even my super-picky brother (who took one look at the finished casserole picture above and went ‘ewwww!’) absolutely loved it. I mean, he went back for seconds! So this recipe is definitely a keeper!

Nicole — April 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Looks great! I would love to try with bacon :-)

Terry Grieve — April 28, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I made these potatoes and they were wonderful!!!! They were so much better than that version everyone makes with frozen potatoes. It was just two of us so I split it into two separate dishes and baked one and froze the other one uncooked for later. I love your website and love your recipes! I make your fajita bowls, sundried walnut pesto and so many of your recipes all the time. If I’m looking for something to make for dinner and I’m out of new ideas I go to your site. I’m never disappointed! Thanks!

Summer — July 27, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I made these tonight! I’ve been searching for a homemade cheesy potato recipe for awhile now and this one couldn’t have been easier! My husband and I both loved them. I’m so glad I found your website. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 30th, 2014 @ 9:13 am

Yay! I’m so glad Summer! Thanks for coming back and leaving a review! <3

Lori — September 24, 2014 at 7:32 pm

This is one of my most favorite Pinterest recipe finds. My picky eaters love it and it heats up for wonderful leftovers extremely well. Thanks so much for sharing!

Sheri — October 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I want to make this for a 9×13 inch baking dish, how should I adjust the measurement of each ingredient? I know little extra, but not sure how much extra. Have you tried it for a larger dish?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 23rd, 2014 @ 8:00 pm