Homemade Blueberry Muffins

It’s Friday.

So I’m thinking homemade, from scratch, blueberry muffins are in order. Like I even handpicked the blueberries for ya!

Homemade Blueberry Muffins ll www.SimplyScratch.com

Have you ever gone blueberry picking? If you haven’t… you must! Wednesday I took my girls picking for the very first time in all our lives, and it was so much fun. I’m pretty sure we will be making it a yearly tradition because together we picked 7.75 pounds of blueberries, almost filing the whole bucket… and it only cost me twelve dollars! That’s pretty much a steal!

Blueberry Picking Collage

All-in-all it was a pretty darn fun day. Even if we woke up at the butt-crack of dawn {aka 7 am}. It was the whole entire experience of picking our own blueberries, coming home to wash, pick through, freeze, package and store roughly 12 cups or so of blueberries which is probably enough to last us for the next year.

Blueberry picking is like a full time job.

blueberry collage

So on our ride home from Hazen’s Farm, we talked about all the things we want to make with the blueberries we picked. First up… blueberry muffins. So I had an idea… I told them “how about you girls make the muffins… and I’ll take the pictures!?!?” I was super excited… they were not so much. I think they weren’t so excited about me taking pictures… but there’s NO way I’m not blogging these muffins… SORRY! So that would explain the little and semi-little hands you see in the pictures. Aren’t they cute?

But the payoff for all our hard labor was deliciously warm muffins bursting all over the place with fresh, tart, beeeeaaauutiful blueberries. It’s almost impossible not eat 2 right off the bat… I so didn’t, only….. I totally did.

stuff

Butter, sugar, blueberries… you know the usual suspects. My youngest did this set up… I’m telling ya, she’s a pro.

butter

Drop a stick of softened butter into a bowl.

beat it

Blend until smooth.

sugar

Add in a cup of sugar. Here’s the deal… I don’t like SUPER SWEET muffins when they have fresh berries in them. The berries are sweet all on their own, so I don’t want to be over sugaring the batter. But if you would like a sweeter batter try adding an additional quarter to half cup.

add eggs

Crack in the eggs, one at a time mixing in between.

girls mixing collage

They each took turns… how cute. What’s not cute… my oldest is almost as tall as I am.

vanilla, baking powder, salt

Next add in the vanilla extract, baking powder and salt.

1 cup flour

Add one of the cups of all purpose flour and blend just until incorporated.

12 cup milk

Add a quarter cup of the milk and blend.

2nd cup of flour

Repeat with the remaining cup of flour…

second half cup of milk

… and pour in the second quarter cup of milk.

mixed

Mix on medium until the flour and milk are combined and the batter is smooth and thick.

stirring

Mix about a tablespoon of flour with 2-3/4 cups of fresh blueberries.

blueberries

Add the blueberries to the batter…

folded

… and carefully fold them in.

filled

Fill each muffin liner with a heaping tablespoon full… like really heaping.

dusting

And sprinkle with a little sugar in the raw. This will add a little textural crunch and the necessary sparkle ;).

sprinkled with sugar in the raw

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes. Rotate the pan for even baking. The muffins are done when they spring back when touched.

Homemade Blueberry Muffins l www.SimplyScratch.com #muffins

These are the prettiest muffins I ever did see.

Homemade Blueberry Muffins  www.SimplyScratch.com #blueberries

Forks. Optional.

Homemade Blueberry Muffins - www.SimplyScratch.om

Have a wonderful weekend friends!

Homemade Blueberry Muffins ll www.SimplyScratch.com

Homemade Blueberry Muffins

Easily the best homemade blueberry muffins around!

Yield: 18 muffins

Cook Time: 15-18 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

1 stick {1/2 cup} Unsalted Butter

1 cup Sugar {use 1-1/4 cup for a sweeter muffin}

2 whole Eggs

1-1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

2 teaspoons Baking Powder

1 teaspoon Kosher Salt

2 cups All Purpose Flour, plus 1 tablespoon, divided

1/2 cup Whole Milk

2-3/4 cups Fresh Blueberries

1/4 cup sugar in the raw, more or less to taste

Preheat your oven to 375 and line a muffin tin with 18 paper liners.

In a large bowl beat the softened butter until smooth. Add in the cup of sugar and blend until pale yellow.

Add eggs, one at a time and mix well after each egg is added.

Next measure and add in the vanilla, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.

Add in 1 cup of the flour, mix.

1/4 cup of milk, blend.

The remaining flour, mix and repeat with the remainder of the milk.

Mix on medium speed until the batter is thick and smooth.

Toss the blueberries in with a tablespoon of flour and stir.

Add the blueberries to the batter and use a rubber spatula to fold the blueberries into the batter.

Divide the muffin batter among 18 paper liners. Sprinkle with a little bit of turbinado sugar and then bake in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway.

Let cool slightly before serving.

28 Responses to “Homemade Blueberry Muffins”

Kathryn — July 19, 2013 at 4:31 am

Love your blueberry picking pictures, how awesome to have been able to make proper homemade muffins with handpicked blueberries!

Grandmama — July 19, 2013 at 7:26 am

Lovely, beautiful blog….can almost taste them…the only thing missing is seeking crumbs on little Miss M’s lips!!!

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — July 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

I wish we had a blueberry farm nearby – I imagine that freshly picked blueberries are wonderful! These muffins look divine – fluffy and beautiful!

cassie — July 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

Such a classic recipe for fresh blueberries! The picking excursion looks so fun, toO!

Tieghan Gerard — July 19, 2013 at 9:38 am

So fun! I wish I had somewhere to go pick some blueberries!!

These classic muffins are calling my name. They look incredible!

Brittany H. — July 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

My mom and I love going to pick blueberries – makes me still feel like a kid! We always pick enough to last or at least hopefully last until the next year! Such a fun experience!! Thank you for the great recipe :)

Jackie {The Beeroness} — July 19, 2013 at 12:06 pm

What a fun day! Your girls are the best

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 19, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Aww, what a super fun experience that must have been! I’d LOVE to go blueberry picking and wear a dress and frolic, but we’re, like, on the surface of the sun here in Austin. Lovely muffins! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 19, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Homemade blueberry muffins are so comforting, especially warm right out of the oven!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — July 20, 2013 at 1:21 am

Your photos are amazing. Totally convinced me to go out and freshly pick blueberries (non-existent in Scottsdale but I’ll find a place) and have tiny hands make blueberry muffins for me ;)

• simplyscratch replied: — July 20th, 2013 @ 11:33 pm

Thank you Christina! :)

John Ward — July 21, 2013 at 10:21 am

I agree that you photos are amazing. They made me so hungry and blueberry muffins are so comforting, especially at night with a hot drink

John

Cindi Hammer — August 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm

After seeing this post I have been trying to figure out when we could get out to Hazen’s. Well today with the 75 degree day was the perfect day! Just pulled the muffins out of the oven and can’t wait to try them. Thanks for the recipe and the great place to pick blueberries.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 15th, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

Oh you went to Hazen’s! So cool… I hope you enjoyed the muffins Cindi!

Anita — September 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

My hubby is a truck driver and is often bringing home fresh-off-the-farm produce. I work full-time so I am always looking for recipes that are simple AND perfect. These blueberry muffins meet all expectations. It was easy enough for my 5yo daughter to help me. She especially liked the photos to follow along with reading the recipe. They came out light, fluffy, and perfectly delicious!
    Also, I love the blog. I feel like I am right there in the kitchen having a conversation with you. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 15th, 2013 @ 2:08 pm

Hi Anita! Your comment made my day! Thank you! And I love that you made and baked these with your five-year-old… such great moments being made! Have a great weekend!

Miriam — September 24, 2013 at 12:35 am

These were amazing! What a great recipe.

Are there any other berries that would also work well? We seem to be nearing the end of blueberry season here in So Cal.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Oh! Good question. I’d try any berry! maybe just not ones with seeds?

Kristin — May 1, 2014 at 7:31 am

These are absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Charles — May 12, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Winner!

Andrea Gumbs — June 11, 2014 at 11:15 am

My first time making blue berry muffins. They were lovely.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 11th, 2014 @ 10:33 pm

I’m so glad Andrea! :)

Regina — July 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I took my brood blueberry picking this morning (first timers! ) and made these when we got home. AH-MAZING! And I had all the ingredients on hand, nothing exotic in them. Thanks for sharing!

Miranda — July 15, 2014 at 5:42 am

I tried making these and they spilled over in the oven and burnt on the bottom of it and I was going to surprise my family with them but I ended up waking them up early in the morning :””( I did everything exactly like the recipe said ;-;

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 15th, 2014 @ 8:37 am

Hi Miranda! I’m sorry to hear these made a mess of your oven! That’s totally happened to me before and when I looked back I accidentally added too much of one of the leaveners. Maybe by accident that’s what happened here? I only suggest this because I’ve made these SO many times without an issue. Still though a messy oven is so not fun :(

Naomi@WhatJoyIsMine — July 22, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Laurie…Just made these yesterday and they were delish! My family loved them. Thank you for sharing your recipe. (I even shared your recipe with my FB readers.) Have a great day.

1. Pingback: Mexico Wedding Expert » Bake Muffins For Your Weekend Guests