Grilled Artichokes

Fresh artichokes are pretty darn amazing.

Those canned or jarred hearts don’t even hold a candle to the taste a fresh artichoke, especially when it’s grilled. They easily make for a simple appetizer or heck, even a  side dish to any great summertime meal and I personally enjoy the whole experience of picking a leaf and using your teeth to scraping off the tender part. In someway it’s actually therapeutic.

SO_DSC0379

I’m not gonna lie, fresh artichokes can seem intimidating. For a long time I wanted to make them, I was just so unsure how exactly to prepare the fresh artichokes. There are those poky leaves, the fuzzy choke… it was enough to give me anxiety. But through the help of the internet and several attempts on my own, I now can cook fresh artichokes minus the sweaty upper lip.

So my friends, whether it’s grilled, baked or roasted… I’m pretty sure with this little tutorial, you too can make them… anxiety free.

cut lemon

Start with a lemon and cut it in half. I like to flick out the seed with my knife so they don’t end up in the pot.

juice

Squeeze about a quarter cup of fresh lemon juice into a pot that has about 4 to 6 quarts of water in it.

flour

Next, add in the flour {I’m not sure the whole purpose of the flour, but in several recipes I’ve seen they use it. So I stuck with it}…

olive oil

Drizzle it two tablespoons of olive oil. For more flavah-flave I’m using garlic infused. Give that a whisk and set it off to the side.

trim, peel back leaves

Trim the ends off of the artichoke and peel back any tiny leaves.

peel

With a paring knife or a vegetable peeler, peel the stem to expose the flesh underneath.

trim off the top

Lob off the top inch of the artichoke.

inside

See? Soooooo pretty!

snip

With a pair of kitchen shears, trim the tips off of those poky leaves.

snipped

Ta-Dah!

halved

With the stem pointing up and with a sharp knife, cut the artichokes in half.

drop

Immediately submerge the artichokes into the lemon-garlic-water, cover and bring to a boil. Cook the artichoke halves for about 20-25 minutes or until they can be easily pierced with a knife.

drain and cool until safe to handle

Use tongs to remove the artichokes. Let them cool until they can be handled without burning your fingers.

remove choke

With a spoon, scoop out the choke.

brush with olive oil and season

Brush the artichoke halves with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of your favorite seasoning. I’m in utter love with Simply Organics Grind to a Salt… just sayin’.

grill

On your grill that is preheated to 400 degrees, lay the artichoke halves cut-side-down and grill for 3 minutes or so.

grilled

Turn and grill for another 3 minutes more or until heated through.

SO_DSC0314

If you decide to be extra swanky and serve these with a dip, let them cool for about 10 minutes before adding your favorite dip in the center.

SO_DSC0379

Then all that’s left to do is scoop, dip and scrape!

I hope this ends any worries you may have about making fresh artichokes. They are super delicious and as you can see, pretty darn easy!

Enjoy!

SO_DSC0323

Grilled Artichokes

Easy and delicious! Fresh artichokes get a bit of char for a fun, summertime appetizer.

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 30-40 minutes

Total Time: 40-50 minutes

2 large artichokes

¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, strained to catch the pulp

3 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil {or any oil you prefer}, divided

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 tablespoons Simply Organic Grind to a Salt, or use your favorite seasoning

4-6 quarts of water

Combine the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the all purpose flour and water in a large pot. Whisk those together to dissolve the flour.

Meanwhile prepare the artichokes by trimming the bottom of the stem and cutting an inch off of the top. With a vegetable peeler, peel the tough outer layer away from the stem exposing the flesh underneath. Feel free to remove any of the tiny leaves at the base of the artichoke. Next grab a pair of kitchen shears and snip off the sharp points on the remaining artichoke leaves.

Place the prepped artichokes on a cutting board, stem side facing up, and cut in half. Submerge the artichoke hearts into the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they can be easily pierced by a knife.

Remove the cooked artichoke halves and place them cut side up on a cutting board until safe to handle. Once they have cooled, preheat your grill to 400 degrees.

Remove the “choke” or that fuzzy, prickly center by using a spoon and scraping it away from the artichoke heart and discard.

Brush the artichoke halves with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the seasoning salt.

Place the artichokes halves, cut side down, on the preheated grill for 3 minutes. Rotate and cook for another 3 minutes until the artichokes are heated through.

Remove from the grill, let cool slightly {about 10 minutes} and serve with your favorite dip in the center of each artichoke halve.

30 Responses to “Grilled Artichokes”

Betsy — July 15, 2013 at 7:08 am

I love love love your step by step directions with photos!! It just makes it so much easier to see exactly how to prepare a dish and what it should be looking like along each step of the way! You are one of my favorite food bloggers!!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 15th, 2013 @ 10:06 am

Thank you Betsy!

Ali B. — July 15, 2013 at 7:26 am

My grandmother used to give me steamed artichokes with mayo. I think maybe just to keep me busy? I loved them, but it’s never occurred to me to try to make them myself. Thanks!

Liz @ The Lemon Bowl — July 15, 2013 at 8:40 am

Dear God – I can’t get enough artichokes in my life. I love this!

Tieghan Gerard — July 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

Thank you!! What an awesome step by step! I have always done this the hard way, which was obviously they wrong way! I need these in my life. I love them!

Jaclyn — July 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

I absolutely LOVE artichokes. I’ve never tried grilling them…but everything is better on the grill as far as I’m concerned so I’ll be making these!

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — July 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

Artichokes can be very intimidating to work with. Love these.

Lauren Grier — July 15, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yessssss! I totally thought grilling artichokes was a huge undertaking too!! thank the lord they are not. Can I come over now? Thee look fantastic!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

The spare room and the wine is ready!! :)

Laurel — July 15, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Wonderful and fun recipe! I boil or steam fresh artichokes all the time but have never tried grilling them. I can’t wait to try this – thank you! Something that I found is even easier than a chef’s knife for cutting the crown off, is a serrated bread knife. ^_^

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:46 pm

Good to know Laurel! Thanks for sharing :)

JJ @ My Chicken Fried LIfe — July 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I think I just found the perfect side dish for our anniversary dinner tomorrow night! These look so amazing. I’d love to know, what kind of dip is on your artichokes? Looks delish!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

Hi! Funny thing the 16th is my anniversary! I know right!? The dip is Simply Organic Mediterranean Dip Mix tossed with Greek Yogurt… SO totally yum!

Mr. & Mrs. P — July 15, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Just love artichoke.. Need to trying grilling them.. they looks lovely!

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — July 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I just adore artichokes. I have to be honest though – I’ve never grilled them before! And now I am dying to try them Laurie.

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

Do it Sally! You won’t be sorry :)

Claire Gallam — July 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm

what an amazing way to serve up (and eat) aritchokes!

Julie @ Table for Two — July 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I have got to try this! Such gorgeous photos!!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

Aww thanks Julie! Artichokes are fab!

Aly Mashrah — July 16, 2013 at 1:40 am

There are so many vegetables I have no idea how to prepare. I’m so intimidated to try new vegetables because I have no clue how they’re even suppose to taste like when they’re cooked, artichokes are definitely one of them! Lol

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — July 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

Thanks! I have never made fresh artichokes before – love the step by step!

• simplyscratch replied: — July 16th, 2013 @ 7:42 pm

Thanks Erin :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 16, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I need to try this! Love the idea of grilling artichokes!

Nicole — July 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I always steam my artichokes. But, I have been wanting to try grilling them. These look Awesome! I think I need to try grilling them sooner rather than later ;)

Kate — July 17, 2013 at 9:41 am

These look great! What is the dip that you put in the middle?

• simplyscratch replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

Hi Kate! It’s a Simply Organic dip packet mixed with Greek yogurt… YUM!

Katie — July 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

I have been dying to try making whole artichokes at home, but have been intimidated…I really need to try after seeing how simple you made it look! And I love the idea of grilling…yum!

Tanya — July 18, 2013 at 9:33 am

So, this is probabaly something everyone else already knows, but how do you eat them? You mentioned scraping the tender part with your teeth, so I am assuming that I don’t just bite of a pieces and chow down. I have only had artichoke hearts in a jar, so I nothing about how to go about eating a freah artichoke. And thanks for posting this, beacuse it totally makes me want to give fresh ones a try.

• simplyscratch replied: — July 18th, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

Hi Tanya! You just pluck a leaf {it will come away easily}, dip and scrape! I hope this helps ya :)

JeremyF — July 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Awesome looking recipe. I can’t wait to try this out! Remember that the stems are edible and completely delicious as well!