Asian Cabbage Slaw with Basil Ginger Dressing

This Asian cabbage slaw is a light and healthy, this slaw is like summer in a bowl! Fresh cabbage, carrots and peppers tossed in a basil ginger dressing!

Summer in a bowl.

Asian Cabbage Slaw 03

That’s what this is… and I’m in love with it!

You guys I’m so excited about this slaw because is loaded-to-the-max with veggies and is pretty much calorie free {in my head}. It’s crunchy, flavorful and it’s one of those slaws that can be transformed from side dish to main dish with the addition of some protein aka grilled chicken or shrimp.

I made this recipe for a few of my girlfriends last weekend when Pat was up north hunting wild turkeys. And you know what they say; “when the man’s away… the girl will invite her girlfriends over for a feast of a dinner”. Or something like that.

freshies

I originally was going to make this recipe I found in Bon Appétit magazine… but then I started changing things. I just couldn’t help myself… it’s what us foodies do. Between my girlfriends and me we proudly polished off the whole bowl of slaw on top of eating ourselves silly with these and big fat slices of this cheesecake.

By the end we all were in a food coma. Mission accomplished.

basil oil

This is a one bowl sort of deal. Unless you’re a blogger then it’s several bowls, but it’s practically a cinch to whip up. Start with the dressing by adding 3 tablespoons of basil infused olive oil into a good-sized bowl.

lime juice

Squeeze in a few limes. Mine were small so I used two… about 2 tablespoons, give or take.

Tamari

Now grab a few measuring spoons, measure and pour in the tamari…

honey

..honey {check out that drip}…

fish sauce

…fish sauce…

grate some ginger

And grate in a teaspoon of fresh ginger root. I’m so addicted to this lately… I’m putting it in urrrvrythang.

whisk it

Give it a good ol’ whisking and move on to the veggies.

minced JA-lop-Eno!

Finely dice up half a {seeded} jalapeno… watch out for flying juices, I had a close call with some juice to the eyelid. It’ could’ve been bad… real bad.

add to bowl

Now quickly throw the diced jalapeno in to the bowl with the dressing and go wash your hands thoroughly.

cabbage prep

Grab a half a head of purple cabbage, quarter it and slice it thin.

spinach prep

Stack a few baby spinach leaves, trim off the stems and slice thin… to match the cabbage of course.

spinach and cabbage... together

Add those to the same bowl.

carrots

Add in a half cup of carrots… just by the bagged kind and save your fingertips. It’s way easier.

pepper prep

Take a “cheek” off of a red bell pepper and trim off any of the white-membrane-rib stuff. Cut it in half lengthwise and slice thin strips… to match the cabbage and spinach… you got it!

green onions

Slice up three green onions and a huge handful of cilantro…

chopped cilantro

And add it to the bowl with the rest of the rainbow.

toss

Give it a toss… watch yourself the slaw tends to start jumping ship at this point!

Asian Cabbage Slaw

Serve with a few chopped peanuts on top for a little more added crunch.

Asian Cabbage Slaw 2

I could really make a meal out of this healthy Asian cabbage slaw. It’s packed full of nutritious goodness and makes putting down a slab of that cheesecake totally worth it.

Enjoy!

Asian Cabbage Slaw 03

Asian Cabbage Slaw with Basil Ginger Dressing

Light and healthy, this slaw is summer in a bowl!

Yield: 4-6 servings

2 cups Baby Spinach, stems removed and sliced into thin strips

1/2 cup matchstick Carrots

1/3 of a Red Bell Pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced into thin strips

3 Green Onions, sliced thin on an angle

1 handful Cilantro, chopped

1/3 cup Peanuts, coarsely chopped

In a large bowl whisk together the basil oil, lime juice, tamari, honey, fish sauce, grated ginger and a couple pinches of kosher salt.

Add in the diced jalapeno, sliced cabbage and baby spinach, the carrots, red bell pepper, green onions and cilantro. Toss to coat in that glorious dressing.

Chill until ready to eat... then serve it topped with chopped peanuts and enjoy!

46 Responses to “Asian Cabbage Slaw with Basil Ginger Dressing”

Mr. & Mrs. P — May 1, 2013 at 5:16 am

Love all the bright colors of this slaw.. Beautiful!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 1, 2013 at 5:22 am

Love this! I could eat this by itself or throw it in a sandwich with some grilled chicken – YUM!

And I totally know what you mean about the man being gone. When Jason is away at school, I bring out the quinoa but when he’s back, it stays hidden in the cupboards!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — May 1, 2013 at 8:41 am

Crunchy and basically calorie free? It’s got my vote 🙂

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — May 1, 2013 at 8:46 am

Wow – your girlfriends were some lucky friends! This looks so yummy! Love all of the freshness and colors.

Tieghan Gerard — May 1, 2013 at 8:50 am

This looks so crunchy, yummy and delicious! I love all the colors and generally I just love everything in this. YUM.

Robby — May 1, 2013 at 10:09 am

This looks like an excellent ‘lunch is in the fridge’ sort of dish. I’m thinking the dressing might have to be added a bit before you eat it if you’d eat the salad over a few days. Curious how far ahead you dressed yours.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 1st, 2013 @ 10:29 am

Hi Robby… I probably threw it all together and popped it in the fridge for an hour ahead or so. Because the slaw isn’t overwhelmed with dressing it will retain crunch overnight for excellent leftovers!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

Can I just paint my life the colors of this slaw? GORGEOUS!

meredith in sock monkey slippers — May 1, 2013 at 11:18 am

fantastic! I love this!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — May 1, 2013 at 11:33 am

Great salad, Laurie! These flavors are my favorite. Love all the color too!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 1st, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

Thanks Cassie!

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — May 1, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Ooo I like how there’s no soy sauce or vegetable oil in this! (I went paleo.) I will try this with almonds. Thanks!!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 1st, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

I consider myself an advocate for anti-soy and vegetable oil… I never use the stuff… ever! 🙂

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — May 1, 2013 at 12:03 pm

You definitely made this slaw look gorgeous!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 1st, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Thanks Meagan!

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — May 1, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Gorgeous colors! I adore slaw. I think I need to action this tonight!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 1st, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Get on it girl! 🙂

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Such a gorgeous, easy and colorful slaw! I would pile this on top of everything… especially sliders! Nom nom.

Julia — May 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Girls night at your place sounds like fun! Love the ginger basil dressing on this super dooper flavorful crunchy salad! Hope the hubs brought home the…turkey…bacon…! 😉

• simplyscratch replied: — May 2nd, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

He actually did! It’s in the freezer 😉

SaltySweetSour — May 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Ugh, I’m so ready for summer. Looks delicious!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma — May 2, 2013 at 12:36 am

Whoa…is is stunning! A drop dead gorgeous dish. So wish I had gotten this BEFORE dinner tonight! 🙂 There is always this weekend. I had to laugh re: your comment “when a man’s away…” SO what I do when my hubby is away! Its time to connect with one’s wonderful and fun girlfriends! Hmmm…speaking of…I am having a bunch of mine over for book club on Monday. This would be perfect! I’ve posted it onto my salad Pinterest board to share and keep: http://pinterest.com/deliciouskarma/super-salads

Lis — May 2, 2013 at 12:47 am

Yum! I’ve made a sald like this but with some toasted noodles thrown in (I used plain ramen) and it was so great!

Teresa@SassySuburbanite — May 2, 2013 at 9:12 am

I must say that you really have your finger on the pulse of what I like to eat. I subscribe to a few food blogs because I’m food obsessed and because I just love to try new things and then add them to my family’s favorites. However, most recipes I see come into my email are for things that I wouldn’t necessarily try because they just don’t look like something that my family would eat. Maybe I’m being too restrictive and I should branch out more. Who knows? Anyway, you always seem to post things that just look delicious and then sounds delicious too once I read your recipe. Please keep it up. I just love your blog!
    Teresa

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 2, 2013 at 11:59 am

This is perfect for summer – a light slaw for a bbq or anytime!

Kristy — May 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I make a slaw similar to this, but without the asian flare. I’m going to try this one too. It looks tasty

Lauren @ Rustic Honey — May 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This looks so fresh and perfect for summertime! I love Asian dressings! Will have to try this recipe! Thanks!

Keith B — May 3, 2013 at 3:00 am

That is one colourfui salad. The more colors, the more nutritious it is for you as you are getting a wider range of vitamins.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 5th, 2013 @ 8:51 am

YES! I agree 🙂

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — May 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Total yum!

Chris Satterlee — May 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

YUMMY!!!

1. Pingback: Thai Turkey Burgers with Curry Yogurt Sauce

2. Pingback: How to Measure Sticky Ingredients | Janet Glowacki's Blog

3. Pingback: How to Measure Sticky Ingredients | Emily Bradley's Blog

4. Pingback: Billhowardproperties.com - Bill Howard, Kimberly Jordan, Billhowardproperties, Sugarland Properties, West university properties,Houston Properties, Coldwell Banker Bill Howard

5. Pingback: How to Measure Sticky Ingredients | Joseph-Roland Joubert's Blog