Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos

These steak and egg breakfast burritos are filled with steak, mushrooms, scrambled eggs and homemade steak sauce for the most epic breakfast burritos ever!

I have no idea what it is about steak and eggs but I crave it like all the time. So much that I purposefully don’t finish all of my steak so I can then have it for breakfast.

Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos l SimplyScratch.com

Like I’ve said a gazillion times… I’m a big fan of steak. But I’m not so much of a fan for it reheated… it’s just not the same. So when looking at my leftover steak, naturally my mind went to breakfast… steak and eggs style. So I cubed it, added it to some scrambled eggs with sauteed mushrooms and onions, drizzled it with a little, okay a lot of homemade steak sauce and wrapped it into a warm, soft tortilla. Bingo-bango.

It took me about 2.6 seconds to inhale this crazy good breakfast burrito… and the best part about it all (besides being utterly amazing} is there were 3 more servings left for moi for breakfast. It’s just a shame the rest of my family doesn’t dig mushrooms… oh well, more for me!

the goods

Ribeye… check. Pepper Jack cheese… check-check. Onions, mushrooms, eggs, and tortillas… checkity-check!

dice up onion

Start this party off right by chopping up half of a yellow onion.

quartered mushrooms

Then trim, quarter or eighth if they’re biggins’ to equal a cup of mushrooms. I’m using baby bellas… they are my absolute fave. But button mushrooms work the same.

melt butter

Melt a couple of tablespoons in a large skillet.

mushrooms and onions

Once it starts to bubble and sizzle, throw in the chopped onion and mushrooms.

saute

Saute for about 5 minutes or so until both are soft, slightly golden and smell amazing!

remove

Remove to a plate or any old dish you got for just a moment. Immediately you’ll want to reduce the temp of your pan, you’ll be adding the eggs into the same pan that the mushrooms and onions were just in and you want the pan to cool down a few before doing so, otherwise you’ll get a burnt eggs, and burnt eggs just won’t do.

crack eggs

In a medium bowl, or a large measuring cup, crack in 6 eggs. I got lucky on the first egg and cracked a double-yolker! It’s weird the past couple times I’ve cracked eggs they had double yolks… what does it mean??

pepper

Sprinkle in a generous amount of salt and black pepper.

whip

Then whip those into submission.

pour in eggs

Pour the eggs into the cooled down pan.

stir

Use a rubber spatula to scrape the pan underneath the eggs as they slowly cook and scramble.

mushroom and onions back in

Once the eggs are just about set, throw in the mushrooms and onions in.

cube up some steak

I cut the grilled ribeye into smaller more bite-sized pieces.

steak bites and pepper jack

Add the steak in with the eggs and top all with two slices of pepper jack cheese. I really like the subtle heat this cheese gives to the whole thing, but cheddar or even Colby Jack would work just as well.

mix and warm through

Give it all a good stir until the steak is heated through and the cheese is all melty.

filling

Warm up a few burrito-sized flour tortillas and spoon a healthy portion of that into the center.

steak sauce 1

Remember this homemade steak sauce? Well guess what??

Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos l SimplyScratch.com

You’re gonna want to drizzle it all over these steak and egg breakfast burritos.

Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos l SimplyScratch.com

Feel free to add a little extra for kicks.

Enjoy! And if you give these Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos l SimplyScratch.com

Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos

A hearty hand-held breakfast filled with steak, mushrooms and cheesy scrambled eggs!

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

2 tablespoons Butter

1/2 Yellow Onion, diced

1 cup quartered Baby Bella Mushrooms

6 whole Eggs

Salt

Black Pepper

Grilled Steak, cubed

2 slices Pepper Jack Cheese

4 Flour Tortillas, warmed

1 recipe for Homemade Steak Sauce {optional}

In a large pan over medium heat saute the onions and mushrooms in butter. Remove them to a plate once they are soft and the mushrooms have released most of their moisture. Reduce the temp to medium.

Beat together the eggs, salt and pepper. Give the pan some time to cool down before pouring in the beaten eggs. With a rubber spatula, turn the eggs... scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook until the eggs are just about set. Top with the mushrooms, onions, steak and pepper jack cheese. Mix everything so the steak is heated through and the cheese is melted.

Divide the scrambled egg mixture among 4 flour tortillas and drizzle with the homemade steak sauce. Wrap and enjoy!

27 Responses to “Steak and Egg Breakfast Burritos”

jane — April 8, 2013 at 8:31 am

One of my favorite breakfast EVER <3 Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — April 8, 2013 at 8:42 am

I have been obsessed with breakfast burritos lately. This one looks amazing!

Tieghan Gerard — April 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

OMG, my family would be obsessed with these. We love steak, but not reheated so these are perfect!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

We love breakfast burritos, Laurie! I can’t wait to tell my husband that you add steak to yours!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 8, 2013 at 10:16 am

Steak sauce on a breakfast burrito!!! Why have I never tried that?! I love steak and eggs too…pretty much any type of scramble wraps in a tortilla works for me 😉 I was eyeing your steak sauce when you posted it, so now I MUST make it for this delicious breakfast!

dishing up the dirt — April 8, 2013 at 11:22 am

My husband wold fall in love with me all over again if I made him these breakfast burritos. Steak and eggs really are a great pair 🙂

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — April 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

OH MY GAWD! Seriously, I mega heart you right now. The hubs and I live on breakfast burritos! I really can’t wait to make this!!

Paula - bell'alimento — April 8, 2013 at 11:41 am

This might turn into my lunch burrito!

Jenny @ BAKE — April 8, 2013 at 3:07 pm

This sounds incredible! not just for breakfast I bet it would make a fantastic lunch or dinner too!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 8, 2013 at 3:48 pm

OH man. I don’t know who would love this more, me or my hubby! Time to find out!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — April 8, 2013 at 4:19 pm

These burritos look better than the fruit smoothie I had and more filling as well. Yummy!

Elizabeth — April 8, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Wow…if we hadn’t just made 50 burritos for the next month, I would be making these right now!! So easy to pull out of the freezer and tuck in a lunch box-especially if you’re working wonky hours.

Meghan — April 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm

This looks incredible! Might become my dinner burrito very soon!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma — April 9, 2013 at 12:32 am

Oh my goodness…this looks (and sounds) scrumptious! LOVE breakfast burritos! I can’t wait to try this recipe! I might add some green chilies or jalapeño for a bit of extra spiciness. Or maybe even some avocados for creaminess. This is definitely one of those great recipes you can make your own. Thanks so much for the brilliant inspiration!

Maria — April 9, 2013 at 10:22 am

I usually avoid meat for breakfast as I can feel heavy afterwards. However, this is a recipe I would definitely use for lunch or dinner. My kids love burritos. Great idea, many thanks for posting this.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — April 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Breakfast burritos are the best! This burrito would make a great meal anytime of day!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — April 9, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I am going to have to plan some steak for dinner, just so I can make this!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I do the same thing with steak at a restaurant!! I love breakfast burritos – but I only make them post steak eating. It’s a vicious and delicious cycle.

Ana Lydia — April 10, 2013 at 2:01 am

Yummy! That’s just what I’d love to make for my Sunday brunch. I always try cooking something new and super delicious on my Sundays because that is the only day I get to spend my way. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 10, 2013 at 3:51 am

I could honestly wake up to this every single morning!

Daisy Ray — April 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm

This looks so good! It would make the day a whole lot better to wake up to this!!!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — April 17, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’m a savory breakfast girl all the way. MMmmMMM

sarvesh — April 18, 2013 at 10:18 am

food processor to make healthy smoothies should have featured in your list.

Mohankumar — May 18, 2013 at 5:33 am

love all the resources available for us to learn how to cook.

plasterers bristol — October 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

This is a delicious recipe, nice for breakfast! and healthy. thanks for sharing.

Simon