Honey Lime Margaritas

What’s better than a few cocktails at 4 in the afternoon?

Margarita1

Absolutely freakin’ NOTHING. And that’s exactly what I did this past Tuesday. Totally random… total fun.

last year this time

This time last year my mom {Yes Mom, I blame you ;)} got two of my sisters and I a-lil tipsy from a few too many of these here margs. My oldest sister earned the nickname “Tequila Kelly” and I learned that I can cook and drink at the same time {not that I’m proud or anything… well sorta}. Anywho after that post went live I was asked by a few of you for the recipe. Well since Cinco de Mayo is only a few weeks away, so I figured now was a good time to share it.

marg stuff

So this here is the second adult bevvy on le blog {high-five!}. It also was the first time I ever bought tequila {I know-I know I’m 32… what-the-what!?} and you guys, I even bought a cocktail shaker. Never in my life did I feel so grown up. Evvvverrrr. So there I was sippin’ on my margarita feeling the glow of the tequila at 4:30 in the afternoon… it was fancy. Cocktails in the afternoon will do that to you. They’ll make you feel like you should be rockin’ pearls while wearing your apron, like you’re in an episode of Bewitched or something. Well that’s how I felt at least.

I’ve waited a loooong time to share this recipe… so go on and getcha some tequila and let’s make some ‘ritas!

limes01

Cut a lime it in half and then in fourths errr eighths.

marg glass prep Collage

Rub one of those lime wedges along the rim of the glass{es}, dip the moistened rim of the glass into a plate of kosher salt and set aside. {The rest of the limes you’ll use for garnish later.}

I have to say, my favorite part about drinking margaritas… is the salty rim. Period. That’s why I dip the whole rim in salt. If you’re not so much of a salt fan then just dip half the glass!

juice

This recipe makes two glasses {or one GIANT one if-you-know-what-I-mean} but can easily be doubled… tripled even. So to start you’ll need to juice some limes to get four tablespoons of lime juice. I used my vintage juicer and then strained the juice through a mesh strainer to catch the pulp. Who likes pulp in their margaritas? NOBODY.

two whole limes juiced

So that’s roughly 2 big, fat, juicy limes… ya dig?

marg making collage

The ratio for two margs is this… 1/2 cup tequila silver {aka blanco} 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 2-3 tablespoons honey and a couple handfuls of ice. All of those go directly into one of those cocktail shaker thingies.

When my mom made these, she used agave {which you can too!}. But I’m not really down with the agave, it’s personal. But I thought why the heck not try honey? I’m a known honey-subber in a lot of my recipes here on SS, so why not make margaritas with it? Could it be done… would they be good? Well yes… yes it can AND they so are!

shake and pour

Divide more ice among some margarita glasses, or any small glass you got. Shake the bejesus out of it until the outside of the shaker get’s a good layer of condensation on it. Make sure you REALLY shake it good so the honey mixes into the drink.

Pour…

Margarita tops

And sip.

And sip.

And sip.

You get the idea.

{Ps… I like cocktail hour!}

Margaritas 00

Honey Lime Margaritas

Five ingredients, five minutes... incredible margaritas!

Yield: 2 glasses

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Kosher Salt

1/2 cup Tequila Silver {or blanco}

4 tablespoons {about two limes} freshly squeezed Lime Juice {strained}

2-3 tablespoons Honey {or Agave if that's your jam}

A couple handfuls of Ice

Additional Lime Wedges, for rubbing on the rim and for garnish

Adapted from Bon Appétit: Agave Margaritas http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/05/agave-margarita

Rub a lime wedge along the rim of two small glasses and then dip them into a small plate with kosher salt. Fill with ice.

In a cocktail shaker combine; tequila, lime juice, honey and ice. Secure the lid and shake until most of the ice is gone. Be sure to shake well enough so the honey mixes itself into the drink.

Pour into prepared glasses.

Tip: if you find they are too strong then just top off with a little cold water.

38 Responses to “Honey Lime Margaritas”

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — April 12, 2013 at 7:38 am

I love how simple these are and how few ingredients they have! I think that’s one thing that kills me is drinks that are just loaded down with too much. Love these margs on the rocks. I’ll definitely be making them after this stressful week haha.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

I agree Mandie! I know that majority of the calories is in the tequila… but who needs a sour mix when you have fresh limes? Happy weekend friend!

Tieghan Gerard — April 12, 2013 at 8:29 am

These are so pretty!

Aria — April 12, 2013 at 9:09 am

I’ll take 3!!

Jack — April 12, 2013 at 10:30 am

Great recipe. Have always used agave but will now switch to honey. Gotta have the salt. When combined with the sour/bitter of the limes your mouth perceives a sweeter flavor – honest! Also avoid cheap tequila. Good ingredients make good drinks. Try Tesoro for a totally over the top margarita – Tesoro has a vanilla white oak nose. The honey in this recipe nails it all together. Mucho Gracias to my sister in law Anne for sending it my way.

• simplyscratch replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

I agree… salt is a must! But there wasn’t any Tesoro where I was shopping. It was either a 53$ bottle of Patron or Jose. I went with the Jose. Thanks for stopping by and CHEERS! :)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — April 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

I cannot WAIT to have a margarita with you in Austin…we will for sure make time for that, right? I love this, Laurie, happy weekend to you, my friend!

• simplyscratch replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

I know!! So so SO excited!! Thanks Cassie :)

Laura — April 12, 2013 at 10:45 am

These sound wonderful. I loove the use of honey as a sweetener!

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen — April 12, 2013 at 10:49 am

These margaritas definitely need to happen this weekend! I absolutely love your glasses!

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — April 12, 2013 at 10:54 am

You put lime in the honey, and you mix them both together!
    Beekeepers everywhere applaud this!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — April 12, 2013 at 11:13 am

Ermagerd, these margs… OH MY YUM. Not even sure I can wait until 4 p.m. to make these :)

Carol ( Answer Is Chocolate) — April 12, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Oh I see these in my future maybe even as soon as tonight!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl — April 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I LOVE a good lime margarita! The addition of honey sounds fantastic :).

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Ohh I love a good marg. I’ve never tried it with honey though!

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — April 12, 2013 at 1:17 pm

These look too good. I’m totally into making cocktails/ drinks right now and actually posted a recipe for one earlier this week. This margarita will be made at the next party, for sure!!

Jenny @ BAKE — April 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm

This cocktail sounds so good! I am going to be making it really really soon!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Fabulous margarita recipe! I’m having a make-your-own taco night with girlfriends soon and this will be the perfect addition!

Monet — April 13, 2013 at 9:41 am

I so wish I could have one of these! As soon as I’m done baby-making..I’ll be all over these honey lime margaritas! Thank you for sharing!

Paula - bell'alimento — April 13, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’d like a pitcher of these please : )

Jackie @ The Beeroness — April 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Your family sounds so fun! I love the honey idea so smart :)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I got limes this weekend just because I knew these had to be made. Yeah – these are so totally on.

Meghan — April 13, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Cocktails in the afternoon are always a good idea, especially when it’s a margarita! These look great!

ashley - baker by nature — April 13, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Nothing like an afternoon cocktail! Or ya know… a 9 am margarita…
    Hey… it’s 5 o clock somewhere, right?

Julie @ Table for Two — April 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Uhhh, I would take 3 to the face and end up ON my face because of how light weight I am. But I could never say no to a margarita – even if tequila gets the best of me, every.time. Looks so good, Laurie!

Kathryn — April 15, 2013 at 5:17 am

I’m pretty much obsessed with margaritas at the moment, definitely bookmarking this!

Lauren — April 15, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I made one of these this past weekend. Delicious!

Stev Schreier — April 19, 2013 at 1:20 pm

How do you get the ice cubes to look like that? I thought they were pieces of some exotic fruits at first.! It looks like something i’d be happy to be sipping on a hot summer day!

Khloe C. — April 22, 2013 at 10:18 am

Margarita is my favorite cocktail. I usually go to the bar every Saturday just to have my own dose of it. I really love its taste and my favorite is blue frozen margarita but I also love the strawberry flavor. I didn’t know that honey lime flavor exists so this is something new for me. Its great news for me to know that there’s a way that I can make margaritas on my own by following your recipe and procedures. This is incredible, thanks for sharing. Finally, I don’t have to go out and spend a lot on a margarita pitcher at the bar for I can now make it on my own and drink til I drop.

Krystal — April 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

Tasty! I made a half a dozen of them for a party and squeezing all those limes was a little exhausting, next time I make this it’ll just be for E and I!

Check out my full review here: http://krystalcooks.com/2013/04/23/good-friends-good-drinks-honey-lime-margarita/

Shelley — April 26, 2013 at 9:19 am

:) had to wait till this morning to post how much we enjoyed this recipe :)

• simplyscratch replied: — April 26th, 2013 @ 10:09 am

So glad Shelley! :)

Terri A. — April 27, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I always make these with agave, but like the idea of honey. Will be trying these.

1. Pingback: Country Cleaver Saturday Stuff » Country Cleaver

2. Pingback: Good friends, good drinks (Honey Lime Margarita) | Krystal cooks.

3. Pingback: The Boys Club | Cocktails We Love: Honey Lime Margaritas