Double Decker Pork Carnitas + Refried Bean Tostadas

Doesn’t that just roll of the tongue nicely? I think so.

I originally had this post planned for last Fridays post and well… when my youngest daughter was sick with a nasty fever/cough/cold that turned into an ear infection, missing four days of school {I know.} AND getting ready for my oldest having a weekend of baseball tournaments… everything went to hell in a hand basket, fast.  So let’s pretend it’s Friday… instead of Monday. Cool? I like Fridays better anyways…

Double Decker Pork Carnita Tostada

Well it was a crazy-busy couple of days in the kitchen. There was even a point where I wished I had two crock pots. Yeah… I said it. But with a little planning I got it all together to turn out these fun and festive double-decker tostadas.

Pico de Gallo bowl

I made this AMAZING Pico de Gallo. GAH! You guys this pico is the BEST! It’s so easy I can make it blind folded, in my sleep backwards. I love this stuff. The End.

Crock Pot Refried Beans

I also made these kick-butt refried bean recipe but a day in advanced, finished photographing these the next day and only ate about half before making the tostadas… they’re THAT good!

cover and cook

I did the above all the while this pork carnitas recipe was doing it’s thang in the slow cooker.

Oh and I made homemade tostada shells. I mean c’mon, go big or go home right?

lay out

First you’ll want to let the shells sit out of the package, all spread out, so they can dry out a bit.

tostada making

Place them on a rimmed sheet pan, sprayed lightly with your Misto or baking spray. Slide them into a preheated 350 degree oven to toast up for about 20 minutes. Flip the corn shells halfway through and rotate the pans as they bake. I do the shells last so they don’t sit too long and get chewy. But of course you could always use store bought yellow corn tostada shells and call it good. Do your thang.

tostada configuration

Then I just layered the crispy shells like so. Spread a little of the re-fried beans on a tostada shell, top with the shredded pork carnitas and repeat.

Double Decker Pork Carnitas Tostada 2

Top those layers with fresh avocado, pico, sour cream, a sprinkle of cotija cheese and a squeeze of fresh lime juice {and some thinly sliced radishes if you so desire}…  and then wash them down with a few of these. Naturally.

These tostadas are what Cinco de Mayo dreams are made of. Party on!

Double Decker Pork Carnita Tostada

Double Decker Pork Carnita and Refried Bean Tostadas

A double decker tostada with homemade pork carnitas and refried beans are topped with the works!

Yield: 4 servings

Sour Cream

Lime Wedges

Cotija Cheese

thinly sliced radishes

Hot Sauce

FOR THE TOSTADA SHELLS:

Spread the corn tortillas out on a dish towel and let them dry out for about 30-45 minutes. Spray a couple of large rimmed sheet pan with your Misto or favorite baking spay. Arrange the corn tortillas on each pan and place in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and rotate the pans and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until crispy and golden.

FOR THE TOSTADAS:

Top one tostada with a little re-fried beans and shredded pork carnitas. Repeat with a second layer. Top with a few spoonfuls of Pico de Gallo, shredded lettuce, avocado, sour cream, cotija cheese and cilanto... or any other toppings your heart desires!

Enjoy!

24 Responses to “Double Decker Pork Carnitas + Refried Bean Tostadas”

Kathryn — April 22, 2013 at 5:44 am

Oh yes! These look totally epic.

Tieghan Gerard — April 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

Loving these!! Stacked foods are so much fun!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — April 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

Double decker might just be my new favorite term! ;) Friday or Monday, your double deckers look awesome and I’m sorry to hear about the sick kidlet…hope she’s feeling better!

Bama Girl — April 22, 2013 at 10:02 am

You just gave me an idea for dinner tomorrow night! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — April 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

You can never go wrong with double decker! These tostados combine all my favorite ingredients and will be made for dinner sometime this week.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — April 22, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Cinco De OH-My-O! Looks fab!

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — April 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

It totally rolls of the tongue! I wish it would just roll into my mouth though ;)

Mr. & Mrs. P — April 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Love this.. All of our favorite flavors stack up on some tostadas!!!

Sally @ Sallys Baking Addiction — April 22, 2013 at 4:53 pm

double decker anything puts a huge smile on my face. These look AWESOME Laurie. seriously, girl. I think each recipe gets better!! How do you do it?!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — April 22, 2013 at 5:03 pm

OmgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgIwanttheserightnow. YUM-town!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Oh my goodness, these look SO mouthwatering Laurie! Absolutely delish for weeknights or Cinco de Mayo!

ashley - baker by nature — April 22, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I’m so in for the pretending it’s Friday game! And also, I want these tostados right-NOW!

Julie @ Table for Two — April 22, 2013 at 8:19 pm

holy cow!! i want that huge stack in front of me!! i’d probably triple it just because i’m a pig like that and i wouldn’t want ANY to go to waste and i want to make sure i’m super filled ;)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — April 23, 2013 at 2:08 am

This is definitely going on our menu plan for next week! So yummy!

Lynne — April 23, 2013 at 4:27 am

Although I am not familiar with tostados, Pico de Gallo and Pork Carnitas, I would love to try these foods because everything sounds yummy and delicious. What is the alternative ingredient for the Cotija Cheese if it is not available in the grocery store? Is it okay to use other cheese for this recipe?

• simplyscratch replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Of course you could! I would suggest Monterey Jack or even Pepper Jack for a kick!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — April 23, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hold me.

Julia — April 23, 2013 at 10:49 am

These look awesome! I am putting these on my list to try

Laura — April 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

You know, with as much Mexican as I cook and we eat – I’ve never tried making tostadas at home. I love carnitas, and yours looks fabulous!

Kathy — April 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Wow! These look incredible! They will be on my menu soon!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Pretty sure I just had to wipe drool from the keyboard – DANG! These are amazing!

Daisy Ray @ flowers, fruit and fun — April 23, 2013 at 7:36 pm

That looks so good! Will have to try these soon!

Donna — May 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

THIS IS SOOO ON THE TABLE FOR CINCO DE MAYO!!!!…Important question…did I “miss” the recipe for your homemade tostada shells (plate to mouth “vehicle”???)…Does one simply purchase flour tortillas (or corn?) and “puff” them in the oven?!…I am perplexed…help!!!

You totally rock Tex-Mex by the way…your Pico de Gallo and Roasted Garlic Guac…..both….THE BOMB!!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — May 5th, 2013 @ 8:49 am

Hi Donna! Yes.. pre-bought corn tortillas baked in the oven. The recipe is in the Double Decker & Bean tostada post :) Happy Cinco!