Crock Pot Refried Beans

You guys today I’ve got the most amazing from scratch, (non) refried bean recipe to share with you . Try to look past how they look and focus on the fact that with 9 pretty common ingredients and 8 hours in the crock pot…  you can make your very own refried beans. Are you sold? Did I mention you do it all in a crock pot {and a pan but shhhuuuushhhh} and that they are WAY better than restaurant refried beans?

Crock Pot Refried Beans

CONFESSION: I’m a pretty picky person when it comes to refried beans. They have to be smooth, with a little bit of bean throughout. I’m prefer the darker colored refried beans… some restaurants serve these light colored ones which always has me confused as to what beans those really are.

Oh and if you haven’t noticed, I’m on a little Cinco de Mayo kick as of lately. I have a few Cinco-esque recipes up my sleeve and it all started with these margaritas. So in the spirit of this time of year and because my husband has only been bothering me to make refried beans for like eight years now. I finally decided to do it. I mean, not because he begged me to or anything. Hey, I don’t want him to think he can just demand things and get his way. So, yeah… eight years it is. Take that Pat.

bean stuff

We stopped buying the canned refried beans a loooong time ago. Organic or not, it’s that whole congealed fat along of the perfectly can-shaped blob-called-beans that I find utterly grody. Please don’t misunderstand… I didn’t say that I don’t like fat… no-no that would be CRAZY… because infact there’s actually lard in this recipe. Lard… really, could there be a worser name for something so glorious {yeah I said worser}? All my bacon fat-savers know what I mean!! Lard is used for many delicious things like biscuits, carnitas and refried bean too… seriously, lard IS the new butter. Okay maybe not… but it’s something, boy is it ever. The smell of anything cooking in lard is amazing!

chopped onions

Dice up an onion. White or yellow… doesn’t really matter.

chopped peppers

Then chop up a good sized green bell pepper…

jalapeno

…And 1 whole jalapeno. I made the mistake of using my thumbs to scrape out the ribs and seeds… lemme just tell you it burned like something fierce under my thumbnails. Like for HOURS.

garlic

Lastly, smash, peel and mince up 5 cloves of garlic.

lard

HELLLOOOO lard. I had to laugh when my oldest daughter walked by and said “hey is that a tub of lard?!” I was quite offended until I realized it was the actual tub.of.lard. she was talking about. Ha-ha-he-he… ummm awkward.

hot lard

Melt two tablespoons of lard into a 10 inch skillet on medium heat.

add veggies

Throw in the peppers, onions and jalapeno.

season with salt

Season with just a smidgen of salt. The salt will draw out the water and help soften the vegetables {I don’t know how I know this, but just go with it}… but don’t add too much because we’ll salt at the end of the bean making process.

3 cups beans

This one is for my husband: beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat… yeah. I won’t go on, but he bet me that I wouldn’t put that song in this post. So BOO-YA Pat!! Now you have to give me a 30 minute massage.

check yo beans!

Before I add the beans to the crock pot, I go through them with a fine-toothed comb. You’ll find all sorts of things like grody beans, dirty beans and oh yeah… a rock. Awesome.

beans

Once the coast was clear, I added the beans to my crock pot.

cumin

Then I season them with a quarter teaspoon of cumin…

chipotle powder

Then an 1/8th teaspoon of ground chipotle powder.

saute

Now the peppers and onions are soft and starting to brown…

add garlic

Now I’d say it’s a good time to add in that minced garlic.

done-zo

Cook for a minute or two before removing the pan from the heat.

add sauteed peppers

And adding it on top of the perfectly inspected pinto beans.

stir

Cover with 8 cups of water and stir it up a bit, for funsies. Cover and cook on HIGH heat for 8 hours. No need to lift the lid, stir or baby sit these. They take care of themselves all on their own!

cooked beans

After the 8 hours they look like this. Soft, plump and ready to be blitzed.

strain

With your hand protected by oven mitts, lift out the crock pot “pot” and pour the beans and their juices into a strainer that is resting in a large bowl.

in a bowl

DO NOT throw away those beautiful bean juices. I’ll add anywhere from a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of the juices back into the beans. It all just really depends on how thin or “loose” you want your beans to be, so go slow.

blend

If you have one of those handy-dandy immersion blenders… this is another one of those recipes where it’ll come in handy. Work your way through the beans until just about blended.

2 tsp salt

When there’s still a few beans left to blend, is when I like to season the beans. You don’t want to add the salt to the crock pot because rumor has it, that it will make the beans tough and then you’ve just wasted 8 hours… and a lot of beans.

stirred

Blend a little bit more and then stir with a spatula to make sure that salt is evenly spread out through the beans.

Crock Pot Refried Beans

Boom. You’re done.

Crockpot Refried Beans3

Perfectly from scratch refried beans {minus the refried part} that are simply amazing. We love em’ in our house and put them on everything! Heck we use our tortillas chips and these beans act as as a dip! So flippin’ good you guys, you’ll never buy canned again!

Crockpot Refried Beans 02

Crock Pot Refried Beans

Easy to throw together, cooked all day in the slow cooker with the end result being the best non refried beans in town.

Yield: about 6 cups

Prep Time: 15

Cook Time: 8 hours

Total Time: 8 hours 15 minutes

3 cups Dried Pinto Beans

5 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced

1 medium Onion, chopped

1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped

1 Jalapeno, seeded and chopped

2 tablespoons Lard

1/4 teaspoon Cumin

1/8 teaspoon Chipotle Powder

8 cups Water

2 teaspoons Kosher Salt

In a 10 inch skillet heat up 2 tablespoons of lard on medium heat. Once hot add the chopped onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Saute for about 8 to 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

Sort through 3 cups of dried pinto beans removing any debris or cracked and grody looking beans. Add the beans, cumin,chipotle powder and sautéed vegetables to your slow cooker. Cover with 8 cups of water and cook on High for 8 hours, undisturbed.

After the 8 hours, remove and drain the beans with their liquid into a colander set into a large bowl. Transfer the beans to a clean bowl and add a desired amount of the bean liquids back in { I add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup} into the bowl with the beans. Using an immersion blender blend the beans until just about smooth Season with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt before continuing on. Use a rubber spatula and stir the beans to make sure the salt is throughout.

Serve right away or let cool before storing them in an airtight container and placing them in the fridge.

These beans should keep well for just under a week. If they last that long :).

64 Responses to “Crock Pot Refried Beans”

Rachel Gurk — April 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

I made some similar beans — love them (although yours are a bit fancier)! They freeze well too!

Liz — April 15, 2013 at 8:08 am

I have never heard of making refried beans this way. I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks.

Tieghan Gerard — April 15, 2013 at 8:48 am

I am not normally a refried beans persons, but you make these look and sound amazing!

Jenny @ BAKE — April 15, 2013 at 9:25 am

I love refried beans! this recipe sounds great!

Susan Joness — April 15, 2013 at 9:31 am

This looks good – and I plan to try it. Soon. And cautioning people to be careful when using jalapenos or other hot peppers is important. I made salsa from scratch once and wanted to cut my hands off. Next time – I got gloves.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — April 15, 2013 at 10:06 am

All. Over. It.

Steph (Poupette in the Kitchen) — April 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

This looks amazing and really simple to do! I don’t have a crock pot though… Do you think it would be the same to cook the beans in boiling water for a shorter time on a regular stove? Or does the slow low-temp cooking make a difference in the texture? I think I might try a fava bean/cilantro version soon :D

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 15, 2013 at 12:07 pm

These look absolutely lovely!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm

These look awesome. Can’t believe you found a rock in the bag though! I’ll have to sift through my beans a lil’ more carefully now I guess, ha!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — April 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Crockpot beans are just the BEST! I love your version – dee-lish!

• simplyscratch replied: — April 16th, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Thanks Meagan! :)

GM — April 15, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Girl…. I need to show you the Mexican way… ;-)

GM — April 15, 2013 at 2:50 pm

By the way, not knocking your refried beans, just want to share how my mom taught me from border town.

•After you have gone through your beans, rinse well.
    •Throw them in the crock-pot and cover with water following with the garlic clove(s), salt, onion powder (you could fresh onion or onion flakes). I sometimes toss in bacon (omit salt), if I have handy I will throw in serrano/jalapeño.
    •Once they are ready – Get a pan hot with either lard/canola oil.
    •When pan is hot ladle in the beans – there will be a sizzle going on.
    •Reduce heat, and use a bean/potato masher and go to town mashing.
    •The beans will thicken with the heat and keep stirring as you mash.
    •Mash to consistency and serve….

• simplyscratch replied: — April 16th, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Great Re-fried option! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — April 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

OK. I heard The Most Interesting Man IN The World Cinco De Mayo commercial on the radio this morning and thought, “I wonder if I could make re-fried beans in the slow cooker??” AND HERE IT IS! Glorious :)

Megan {Country Cleaver} — April 15, 2013 at 11:53 pm

True story I made a can of refried beans this weekend and the slow-fall out of the can made me shudder. I’d totally have rather had these ones!

Azzi — April 16, 2013 at 5:09 am

This is been so way to prepare the recipe the way you have explain is fantastic.

health camp

Daisy Ray @ flowers, fruit and fun — April 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

This looks amazing! Looks pretty easy too!!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — April 16, 2013 at 2:13 pm

My husband has been bugging me too, apparently I need to get my butt in gear!

Julia — April 16, 2013 at 2:48 pm

What a great recipe to make from scratch! These would be great in all kinds of Mexican recipes!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — April 16, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I attempted to make my own refried beans once and they tasted like cigarette’s. This recipe though looks fool proof!

Ted — April 26, 2013 at 2:34 am

Thank for the detailed recipe. I think I could eat refried beans every day. Just the other day I was looking for and could not find a good recipe for refried beans. Will have to try this now.

Jennifer N. — May 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I made these tonight and all I can say is I’ll never go back to the canned stuff again! The recipe is so simple & delicious! The only thing I modified was I replaced the lard with EVOO since that’s what I had on hand. Thanks for posting this great recipe!

Mike chunkerman — May 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm

It’s a good recipe, but I must point out it’s an “immersion” blender not “emersion” and it’s “you’re done” not “your done.” Proper grammar and spelling are your friend.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 21st, 2013 @ 1:42 am

Gosh Mike… I appreciate your help. Looks like the spell/grammar check has failed me, yet again.

Emmi — May 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Would you be able to substitute butter for the lard if one does not eat any pork or lard products? :)

• simplyscratch replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 8:15 am

Butter or even olive oil :)

Gunta — May 22, 2013 at 12:32 am

What’s the point of not frying them? To make them healthier? You are using lard so I’d say no.

• simplyscratch replied: — May 22nd, 2013 @ 8:15 am

The point, Gunta is that some people aren’t comfortable deep frying. I’m not claiming them to be healthy, but a quick fry in lard isn’t as bad as a deep fry.

nellootiout — May 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

Good idea, Thank you for sharing.

W. — June 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I decided to use it even after looking at several others I googled. Garlic is missing from the “Ingredients” list on the recipe so I had to scroll up to the picture for the amount – please update?

W. — June 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Er… Also, nowhere in the recipe are the instructions to add the cumin or chipotle. Before or after all-day cooking? The PICTURES show it, but had I printed out this recipe? Frustrating!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 1st, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

W. I’m not sure what happened there… thanks for bringing it to my attention and I’ve made the changes. Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Lisa — June 13, 2013 at 12:51 am

So I did this and it was great, I didn’t have chipotle pepper powder, BUT i did have chipotle hot sauce… I added, twice the amount. It was yummy. This is my go to recipe. Thanks :)

• simplyscratch replied: — June 13th, 2013 @ 9:35 am

I’m so glad Lisa! Thanks for coming back to leave a comment!

Wendy — June 14, 2013 at 1:31 am

If you want to make them vegetarian friendly and omit the lard, what would be a good substitute?

Thank you.

• simplyscratch replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 8:39 am

Hi Wendy! I’d do olive oil for sure!

Wendy — June 14, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thank you so much. That’s what I thought, but wanted to double check. I recently found your blog and really enjoy it. You rock!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 14th, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

Awww thanks Wendy! YOU ROCK for saying that haha!! Have a great weekend!

Kimberly — July 31, 2013 at 1:48 am

I have a batch going in the crock pot right now! I made a few tweaks. I didn’t have a serrano or jalapeno on hand so I used the red pepper flakes I did have. I also didn’t have chipotle powder but I did have chili powder so I used that. I also used more cumin and more chili powder because I used some in the onion/pepper mixture while it was sauteing. My kitchen smells absolutely wonderful!

Jana — August 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm

This recipe can be made much quicker with similar results icooker.f you own a pressure cooker. Just soak the beans for 4-8 hours or overnight. Add the seasonings and enough water in the cooker to cover the drained beans. Let the cooker cook for 6 whistles (or pressure releases). After the pot cools, use the immersion blender to blend. We make it this way once a week!

Sarah — August 15, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for this recipe!! Does this freeze well? The whole reason I buy the cans is so I can have it on hand. I’d love to use homemade, but it’s no good if I can’t have it stored for when I need it.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 15th, 2013 @ 10:48 pm

To be honest I didn’t freeze any. But I bet you totally could! If you do, please let me know and I’ll add it in :)

Tina — October 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Here turned out amazing, though a little spicy because I accidentally added about a whole teaspoon chipotle powder. But definitely a keeper . Going to try olive oil next time though. I felt so guilty using lard… Haha

Latinred71 — November 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Dude, you need to rinse those dry beans like three times, at least! Lol

Sarah — November 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Those look SO good. I think I’ll make them on the weekend coz my husband LOVES refried beans (the other month I came home and he’d tried to make them by just frying and mashing a can of kidney beans- disaster). What would be a good substitute for pinto beans? I’ve NEVER seen them over here.

• simplyscratch replied: — November 19th, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Hi Sarah! I would say black beans for sure! ps… mashed kidney beans? I can only imagine ;)

Sarah — November 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I had to come back and tell you that I made these overnight and I have woken up to THE MOST delicious refried beans I’ve ever tasted. When my husband comes home and tries them he is going to flip.

• simplyscratch replied: — November 23rd, 2013 @ 8:51 pm

Hi Sarah! I’m so glad you liked them and thanks for coming back and leaving a comment!

R — March 8, 2014 at 2:10 am

I’ve been looking at lots of recipes for crock pot refried beans and this one looks wonderful! Just wondering how necessary the pre-cook in the skillet of the peppers and onions is. Is that step mainly for the flavor imparted by sauteing in fat? I love to simplify (and save dishes!) so would be tempted to just throw it all in the crockpot raw and let it go.

Also I remember reading somewhere peppers can take on a funky taste when slow cooked… though I see them in tons of recipes so maybe that was just a one-off case/opinion? Curious if anyone else has input about that.

Thanks for the recipe and I’ll let you know how it goes!:)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — March 11th, 2014 @ 1:41 am

Feel free to just throw it all in! I haven’t tried that… Probably because I still feel the need to cook even though it’s a slow cooker and should do the work for me. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Ethel — March 12, 2014 at 9:47 am

After you sort the beans and rocks RINSE.
    Salt does hinder the softening process.
    Used a pressure cooker and had refried beans in 3.5 hours.
    Used a blender, yes it freezes great, Just make with a little less water

where did you see that the refried part comes from deep frying?

Sabrina Meyer — April 20, 2014 at 9:45 am

Hi Laurie,
    Just had to add a comment. So glad I found this again. Bookmarked and subscribed this time. I tried this recipe awhile back and it was the second time I’ve made refried beans from scratch the first recipe was kind of a flop. I changed it a bit because I can’t handle the jalapeno or chipotle and I use olive oil instead of lard but other then that I kept it the same. It was a HUGE hit. My husband and I had just gotten into our new place and I”m a huge crockpot cooker because I can cook real food and still get things done that I need too. We had his brother and his wife over. Now my father-in-law is an AMAZING cook and I’m no slouch lol but the boys rave and rave about their dads food. I made these along with other things for my tacos and his brother stated that my tacos were better then his dads, my mouth just dropped! And my husband agreed (and we just celebrated our 2nd year anniversary so we’re still newlyweds so hearing that meant alot lol) Thank you for this very delicious and easy healthy recipe! I am looking forward to checking out your other recipes!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:00 pm

Hi Sabrina! That is AWESOME! I’m so happy to hear that! These beans can be accustomed to anyone’s preference… and I love that you switched it up for yours! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. You rock!

1. Pingback: Refried Beans | Nerd With Taste

2. Pingback: 30 Foods To DIY Instead of Buy

3. Pingback: Food – Foods To DIY Instead Of Buy | Everything Cool

4. Pingback: 30 Foods you’ll never have to make again! | *Julianne Fiori *

5. Pingback: 30 Foods You’ll Never Have To Buy Again | Crazy Diaries

6. Pingback: 30 Foods you’ll never have to buy again (With recipes) | Gags Area

7. Pingback: Hi,Money! | 30 Foods you’ll never have to buy again (With recipes

8. Pingback: Easy Vegetarian Crock Pot Refried Beans (without Lard!) | Kitchen Treaty

9. Pingback: Do It Yourself | ttl – Health and Fitness

10. Pingback: 30 Foods You’ll Never Have To Buy Again | Realistic Singaporean Saigonese