Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine

If you haven’t noticed, I’ve been digging the skillet lately.

Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine

It has been my wing-man many evenings when I wanted to make a deliciously easy meal.

There’s been sautéing, searing and so much wilting going on it’s not even funny. I especially love that most of these dinners can be called a “one skillet meal”. Personally, when I see “One Skillet” or “One Pot” in a recipe title, I’m completely sold on it. This recipe almost falls under that category, except you’ll need a pot to boil the fettuccine noodles… other than that, this is so a one skillet dinner. Sort of.

ingredients

For this recipe you’ll need three to four Italian Sausage links. I prefer the medium or even the hot ones as opposed to the sweet Italian sausages, but you use what you like orrrr don’t use any at all because this can easily be converted to a vegetarian dish as well. Speaking of veggies; the funniest thing happened, {okay not really} when I was reaching for the baby spinach, this package of baby kale caught my eye. So I thought I’d give that a whirl instead… and guess what? At dinner, nobody even noticed it wasn’t spinach.

Score! Family introduction to kale is a success!

rinse

Start off by rinsing your grape tomatoes. You won’t be using the entire container. But having them washed means you can pop them into your mouth as you walk in and out of the kitchen throughout the day… which for me is approximately 167 times.

halve

Slice them in half until you get about a cup…

about a cup

Set them off to the side for just a moment.

Garlic Collage

Peel and slice four to five cloves of garlic, depending on their size. And yes, I literally peeled each one by hand. I desperately need one of those thingies you roll the garlic in and magically the peel just comes off. Because, by the third clove it stops being fun and starts to become annoying.

roasted tomatoes

Throw the can of fire roasted tomatoes and its juices into a mini food processor {or a large one, doesn’t really matter}…

pureed

And pulse until slightly smooth and slightly chunky.

blistered

Heat a large 10 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and once hot, throw in the tomato halves. Let those chill for two minutes to blister before flipping and cooking for another two to three minutes. And thanks to a few gazillion games of Cooking Mama, I can do the pan-flip-thing like a professional. Boom.

Bistered

With a slotted spoon, scoop out the blistered tomatoes and place them into a bowl or on a plate for later.

Italian sausage

Add a splash more of olive oil and over medium heat sear the Italian sausages on all sides.

cool

Next just remove them to a cutting board and let them cool for a few.

slice

You don’t want to burn your pretty fingers while slicing them do you? Ps. I totally understand that the center of that raw sausage on the left is majorly grody, but don’t fret… we’ll be putting these back in the pan to finish cooking a little later.

drop in pasta

Meanwhile I hope you brought a big pot of water to a boil, because now you can add in a half tablespoon of sea salt and the 8 ounces of pasta. Cook as the package suggests, mine was about 8-10 minutes.

saute garlic and pepper flakes

Back to the pan with all that sausage renderings and olive oil, throw in the sliced garlic and a couple pinches of red pepper flakes. Sauté until the garlic starts to soften and is extremely fragrant.

pour in tomatoes

Pour in the pureed fire roasted tomatoes.

add sausage back in

Add the sliced Italian Sausage back in and cook for 10 or so minutes until the sauce has thickened and the sausage is cooked.

drain pasta

Drain the pasta when the time is up. It’s always a good idea to save some pasta water whenever you’re making a pasta dish like this. It will help loosen the sauce up a bit if need be.

season with salt and pepper

Season it all with kosher salt and ground black pepper.

baby kale

Grab the baby kale.

add kale

Add about three to four handfuls and pile it on top of the sauce.

pasta

Add the cooked and drained pasta over that…

Toss

Stir and toss until the baby kale is slightly wilted. If the pasta gets a little dry, just add a little of the pasta water to liven it up.

Skillit

Lastly, but definitely not least-ly, add the blistered tomatoes back into the pan. Now grab some bowls because you’re ready to start dishing it out.

Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine 1

I use my vegetable peeler to peel and hellacious amount of cheese, because I like a few {or 8} shavings of Romano cheese on top of my bowl. But Parmesan or even grated mozzarella would be fab too.

I should also note that I prefer my bowl of pasta with a glass of red. Pat would say beer, my oldest would say milk… and my youngest would say grape pop, now that’s just plain gross.

Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine 3

This bowl of fettuccine is simple and rustic pasta dish. It’s filled with so much flavor you won’t know what hit you. Like we’re talking a Mack truck situation. The sausage gives it its rustic flavor while the blistered tomatoes add a much needed pop of sweetness. And the cheese… well it just makes me all happy on the inside.

Enjoy friends!

Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine

Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine

An almost one skillet pasta dish filled with flavorful Italian sausage, sweet blistered tomatoes and kale.

Yield: 4-6 servings

4 to 5 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced

1 {14.5 ounce} can of diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes

3/4 teaspoon of Kosher Salt, more or less to taste

1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper, more or less to taste

3 to 4 handfuls of Baby Kale or Baby Spinach

Romano Cheese Shavings, for garnish

Bring a large pot of water to boil.

Pulse the can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and its juices in a food processor.

In a large 10 inch skillet add a tablespoon of olive oil, once hot add in the halved grape tomatoes and cook for two minutes. Flip and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes until blistered and slightly caramelized. Remove to a small plate or bowl and set off to the side.

In the same skillet add another splash of olive oil and sear the Italian Sausage on all sides. Remove and let cool a bit before slicing.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the sliced garlic and a couple pinches of red pepper flakes to the pan and sauté until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add the pulsed tomatoes and the sliced Italian sausages and cook for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens and the sausages are cooked through.

At this time, season the boiling water with a half tablespoon of sea salt and then drop in the 8 ounces of fettuccine noodles, cook as the package directs. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of pasta water.

Season with tomato sauce with kosher salt and black pepper, add the handfuls of kale and top that with the drained pasta noodles. Toss until the kale is slightly wilted.

Add the blistered tomatoes to the skillet and toss gently.

Serve with shavings of Romano cheese.

38 Responses to “Italian Sausage, Kale and Blistered Tomato Fettuccine”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — March 18, 2013 at 5:12 am

I’ve also been loving one-skillet meals lately. After coming home from work I just don’t want to cook a meal that requires 3 skillets and 2 pots so this recipe is a really good compromise. The addition of the baby kale is great!

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — March 18, 2013 at 6:50 am

I’ve totally been into the one skillet meals myself! I haven’t tried kale yet but I could definitely get into it with this recipe.

Rina@Itheecook — March 18, 2013 at 7:05 am

This looks delicious! Great recipe.

• simplyscratch replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 10:43 am

Thanks Rina!

Mandie @ Oh So Decadent — March 18, 2013 at 7:48 am

Mmmm there is nothing I love more than pasta and nothing I love more than sausage so this dinner is right up my alley. And it looks amazing to boot! I’ll definitely be giving this one a try in the near future :).

Rimli — March 18, 2013 at 8:16 am

Hello, Loved your recipe. simple yet elegant. would love to try this. but will it be a good idea to use basil/parsley or something else as a substitute of Kale? by the way loved those bright n vibrant pictures !!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 10:11 pm

Hi Rimli! You could use spinach, arugula, basil or use nothing at all! It all depends on what you can get your hands on :)

Tieghan Gerard — March 18, 2013 at 8:52 am

This ia so my families kind of meal! Pasta, grape tomatoes + Spicy sausage + Cheese is a winner!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

8:29 and my keyboard is covered in drool. This is amazing, Laurie!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Haha!! Thanks Cassie… and sorry ’bout that! :/

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 18, 2013 at 9:37 am

HA-yes. OMG. yesyeyseysyesye. Favorite ever.

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain — March 18, 2013 at 9:56 am

Gorgeous! Can’t wait to make this for dinner tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kathryn — March 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

This sounds so delicious Laurie, love how quickly it comes together but how full of flavour it looks!

Lauren — March 18, 2013 at 11:06 am

Can we be neighbors? Pretty please?

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — March 18, 2013 at 11:26 am

This looks gorgeous, Laurie and I have so many of these ingredients on hand right now. I’m thinking dinner tonight but with soba noodles :)

Anna @ Hidden Ponies — March 18, 2013 at 11:40 am

“Blistered tomatoes” – sounds fancy and painful! This looks incredible, perfect weeknight dinner!

Judith — March 18, 2013 at 12:46 pm

It sounds and looks amazing. As baby kale isn’t here in the stores I think I will do some rucola instead.

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — March 18, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Fire roasted tomatoes are THE best, imho. I haven’t seen the baby Kale before…will keep an eye out for it, ’cause I gotta make this!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — March 18, 2013 at 1:51 pm

This looks so perfect. Lately, I’ve been so excited about grape tomatoes, I’ve been roasting them and putting them in everything ( I think my husband is sick of it) But there’s no stopping me :)

CateyLou — March 18, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m with you – the more cheese on top of pasta, the better! This looks so good, I love the step-by-step pictures!

Julie @ Table for Two — March 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I love ALL the vibrant colors going on in this dish!! This looks super comforting and easy enough to whip up after work!

a farmer in the dell — March 18, 2013 at 4:04 pm

WOW! Easy, beautiful, and totally mouthwatering. Major winner!

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma — March 19, 2013 at 1:13 am

AWESOME recipe! It satisfied the comfort soul and is still healthy, so you can feel good about eating it. Thanks for sharing! Also, had to laugh (out loud) at your comment about the baby kales. I LOVE kale and will eat it raw in my salads all the time. My hubby, not so much. He just doesn’t like it at all (even though he generally eats very healthfully). However, when I discovered baby kale, I made a sneaky substitue and he didn’t even notice! I then made a salad for my dinner club with the baby kale only, no salad…they loved it (in fact, someone even copied my recipe for another event to which they needed to bring a dish — the best form of flattery)! Baby kale is a lot more tender and closer in flavor to arugula, so you can easily use it raw…or cooked. Its now one of my very favorite ingredients! That along with cherry tomatoes. So, you’ve got me hooked! :-)

Azzina — March 19, 2013 at 8:27 am

I had tried chicken sausage many time, but this is very unique for me. Thanks for sharing.
    cheddar cheese

Dijana — March 19, 2013 at 10:34 am

Easy garlic peeling trick!

Place the cloves on the chopping board, crush them with the flat side of the blade. Peel comes right off!
    Remove and then chop.
    Handy video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJbfJlkfCs

Thanks for your wonderful recipes!

Donna — March 19, 2013 at 10:38 am

Paleo perfection over spiralized courgettes/zucchini….Sooo making this wonder….Thank you for the colorful, gorgeous tutorial….

You make the “execution” effortless with your beautifully photographed step-by-step instructions…So continuously appreciated…really!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — March 19, 2013 at 12:25 pm

This is one gorgeous fettuccine, Laurie! Love!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

Thanks Anna!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — March 20, 2013 at 2:13 am

I am loving all the colors of this dish, its like a breath of fresh air. One skillet meals are my go to on busy week days, I’ll have to give this recipe a try.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — March 20, 2013 at 5:02 am

Love this! I have some cherry tomatoes to use up so this here is just perfect!

Jenny @ BAKE — March 21, 2013 at 7:40 am

This pasta dish looks incredible! just what I want to eat right now!

Jodi Cooper — April 2, 2013 at 9:05 am

I made this last night (and frequently follow your recipes for inspiration – they are some of our favorites!). I love the way the flavors of the simple ingredients were able to speak for themselves – thanks!

• simplyscratch replied: — April 2nd, 2013 @ 3:22 pm

Thank YOU Jodi! That’s so nice of you to say :)

RK — April 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I made this tonight…used spinach since I couldn’t find the baby kale. My son & I loved it! This will join our “rotation”. Thank you for such a delicious weeknight recipe :)

Deb — April 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm

My husband was out of town last week and so my teenage son & I made this for just the two of us. You’ll never guess but the baby kale (new to our grocery store) was actually on sale so it obviously was just meant to be. What an easy and yummy recipe. That night when husband called to say hi, my teen said, “Boy, did you miss a great dinner! I’ll make it for you when you get back.” Who’d a thunk?! Thanks for an excellent, healthy, easy recipe that all ages love at our house!

Shari J. — May 9, 2013 at 8:44 pm

This was delcious! I may have burnt the garlic- thanks to juggling the kids while cooking, so I had to peel and cut more before starting that part over! I wish I had used a garlic press! Everyone loved the meal though (esp. since I didn’t use the burnt garlic). Thanks for another great recipe!

1. Pingback: The week that was… | eaconfidential

2. Pingback: Recipe Thursdays – Italian Sausage, Spinach and Tomato Fettuccine | Navigating the stormy waters