Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl

On this blog I’ve made it no secret that Chipotle is my most favorite “fast food” restaurant on the planet. I go there all the time when I’m working and each time I order the same darn thing… zee chicken fajita bowl.

One giant bowl of {brown} cilantro lime rice, chipotle chicken {although the pork is mighty nice too} topped with the mild pico and the corn salsa. Then I add cheese lettuce and sour cream to the mix. And if that wasn’t enough I get a bag of their fan-frickin-tastic sea salt and lime tortilla chips and use them to shovel it all into my face. Really who needs a fork?

bowl4

I’m sure the whole thing is like 8,000 calories… but I swear it’s totally worth each and every one of’em. But after so many trips to Chipotle {and after sooooo many chicken bowls, probably a gazillion calories worth} it was about time I make them at home, but would it-could it be even close to as kick-butt-good as theirs?

So I tried annnnnd I think I did it, except maybe with fewer calories, which helluuu is a win-win!

These bowls are totally customizable, is that a word? Like today, I left off the cheese {yes I’m feeling alright}… and I didn’t make the corn salsa or the pico, but you can find the recipes for those here and here. But I did make caramelized peppers and onions and there is some toasted corn action goin’ on and black beans too. You just wait and see!

First though… let’s make the chicken marinade.

the marinade

You’ll need this taco/fajita seasoning, olive oil, chipotle peppers in adobo, fresh cilantro, lime and chicken breasts. I always make a lot of chicken, so my husband can fill his bowl up and there will still be leftovers to make little tortilla wraps on the nights I work. But definitely two breasts will easily feed 4 people, 3 breasts will give you a good amount for leftovers.

halved

Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally so then you’ll have 6 chicken breast halves.

chicken in a bowl

Throw them into a large enough bowl so there’s room to toss them around.

lime juiced

Halve a lime and squeeze one half into the bowl with the chicken.

cilantro chopped

Mince up about a handful or 1/4 cup-ish of fresh cilantro.

chipotles

Mince up two chipotle peppers…

chopped cilantro and chipotles

And add those into the bowl as well.

homemade seasoning

Grab the taco/fajita seasoning.

add to oil

And pour the entire thing into 1/4 cup of olive oil.

stir

Stir to combine.

pour it on

Pour that all over the chicken.

toss

And toss the chicken to coat every square inch. Cover with plastic wrap and pop those into the fridge for one hour.

rinse beans

Meanwhile I get a little more prepping out of the way. Drain and rinse a can of black beans. I like black beans… but I’m not so much of a fan of the ones at Chipotle {it’s a texture thing for me} but when you make these bowls at home you can do whatever you like… and I like them non-smashed, so do whatever floats your boat my friends.

sliced peppers

I also slice up half a green, orange and red bell pepper.

sliced onions

And a good sized red onion too.

corn

I thaw out a cup of corn.

black beans

And put the beans in a bowl. I cover everything and pop it in the fridge until it’s time to get cookin’.

butter, olive oil, cast iron skillet

Pull the chicken out after an hour and let it come up to room temperature on the counter for 25 minutes or so. In the meantime heat a deep {cast iron if you have it} over medium to medium/high heat. Melt two tablespoons of butter along with two tablespoons of olive oil. The butter will help the chicken brown and get those crispy bits.

cook

Work in batches and cook each of the chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes on each side.

remove to a plate and repeat

Once they are fully cooked, remove them to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken breast halves.

wipe clean

After the chicken is all cooked off, I wipe out the pan. As you can see… it’s a little groddy.

corn 1

I reduce the heat to medium and throw in a half cup of corn.

corn 3

Cook the corn until lightly brown and they start to pop and then remove.

peppers

Increase the temp to medium/high and add a tablespoon of oil into the skillet. Once all shiny and hot drop in the peppers, toss them around to coat in oil and then let them just sit there so they can develop a good char. I like mine soft but still a bit firm so remove them to a plate when they’re the way you like them.

onions

Add a little more oil to the pan and drop the red onions in. Just like the peppers, toss and then let them sit only tossing occasionally until they’re soft and with some delicious charred bits. Remove those to the plate with the peppers.

chopped chipotle chicken

Yum. Is all I can say really. These chicken breasts have some heat and it’s just enough to make your nose start to run. Isssss goooood. I slice the chicken and then roughly chop. But then I go all crazy and chop it to smithereens… or something like that.

back in the pan

Throw it all back into the skillet to keep warm while you get stuff together.

cilantro in the rice

Earlier while the chicken was sizzling away in the skillet, I had brown rice cooking away in my rice cooker. Then I fluffed it, threw in some minced cilantro, salt and…

add in some lime

…I squeezed in a couple wedges of fresh lime juice.

stir the rice

Toss this baby and your good to start building your bowl.

bowl2

It goes; rice, beans, peppers and onions, corn, chopped chicken with a small side of ripe avocado, diced tomatoes and sour cream. Phew!

so good.

A squeeze of lime, dashes of hot sauce… then I stir it up and start shoveling.

Oh how I LOVE this bowl! Bright, fresh and slightly spicy… seriously I could barely hold back from making another bowl… so I didn’t.

Now if only I had made these chips

bowl top

Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowls

All my favorite Chipotle fixings but with fewer calories!

Yield: 4 to 6 bowls

Olive Oil

Butter

1/2 of each Red, Orange and Green Bell Pepper, sliced into strips

1 Red Onion, Sliced

1 cup Corn, Fresh or Frozen {thawed}

1 {15 oz} can Black Beans, drained and rinsed

Optional Toppings: avocado, diced tomatoes, sour cream and hot sauce

For the chicken: In a large bowl combine the halved chicken, lime juice, cilantro, minced chipotle peppers. In a small measuring cup or bowl, combine the fajita seasoning and the olive oil. Pour over top of the chicken and toss everything to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

In the meantime: slice up the peppers, onions. Thaw the corn if frozen and rinsed beans and place both into bowls.

Pull the chicken out about 30 minutes before you're ready to cook, so they can warm up a tad.

In a deep skillet {I like cast iron} heat up two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil over medium to medium high. I adjust the heat through out so the chicken doesn't burn to a crisp. Once the pan is hot, work in batches by adding two chicken breast halves in the pan at a time. Cook for about 5-6 minutes per side {or until fully cooked} and then place the cooked breasts on a nearby plate and continue with the rest of the chicken.

Carefully wipe out any charred bits out of your pan before adding in the corn. Let those cook over medium heat until they are deep golden and start to pop. Remove those back to the bowl and set off to the side.

Pour a tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high. Once hot add in the peppers and cook until they have some color but are still firm to your liking. Remove and repeat with the olive oil and the sliced onions. Remove the onions to the same plate as the peppers and turn off the stove.

Place the chicken on a large cutting board. Slice and chop the chicken into pieces and continue to chop until they're smaller bite-size pieces. Place the chicken back into the pan to keep warm on low but if you're using a cast iron skillet it will stay nice and warm for a while so you can just leave the heat off.

In a medium bowl toss the brown rice with minced cilantro, salt and the juice of half a lime. Spoon the brown rice into bowls and top with peppers, onions, corn, black beans and the chopped chicken. I like mine with fresh tomatoes, avocados, sour cream and a few dashes of hot sauce. Sprinkle with more salt if desired and enjoy!

84 Responses to “Chipotle Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — March 4, 2013 at 5:12 am

YUMMY! I always make the mistake of reading your blog posts when I’m about to get hungry for lunch and seeing this doesn’t make the situation any better. I’d love to try the recipe since it looks incredible but I think I’ve never actually seen chipotles at the grocery store here in Germany. I once brought back a few cans from London but those are looong gone! Is there anything else you can recommend using instead of them or is it time to fly to London and re-stock my pantry ;) ?

Kathryn — March 4, 2013 at 5:53 am

I got so excited when I saw a Chipotle in London the other day but now I don’t even have to leave my house to get a taste of that goodness. Look at that bowl of deliciousness!

Anne @The Cooking Campaign — March 4, 2013 at 8:34 am

Love rice bowls! There’s something about lime and cilantro together that’s just so comforting.

Oliver Denton — March 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

I love the colours in your ingredients! I’m putting this in my ‘Spring 2013′ try-list.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — March 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

I am dying for one of these right now, Laurie. So perfect!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — March 4, 2013 at 9:43 am

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my face just slid off.

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — March 4, 2013 at 9:55 am

I love Chipotle’s and Freebirds burrito bowls. Love that you made it yourself.

Kathy — March 4, 2013 at 10:06 am

I love Chipotle! My husband and I usually go there for date night since the kids don’t like it. I have made a pork burrito bowl at home before. I will have to try your chicken version.

Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such — March 4, 2013 at 11:00 am

TDF! One of my favs.

katie — March 4, 2013 at 11:11 am

Chipotle is my favorite fast food restaurant too! :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — March 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

OMG, Laurie! All those flavors! And the chicken marinade! Wow!! I can’t wait to try this! My Hubby will be forever grateful!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

The day I move away from the Chipotle down the street (April 1st) will be a sad, sad day in my life. Luckily, I have your blog to keep my tastebuds happy and chipotle in my life. LOVE the fajita bowls there Laurie!!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:10 pm

I know what you mean! The closest one to me is 45 minutes away! So I try to go when I’m at work, because there it’s only 5! :)

Emily L — March 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm

this looks so good! i will definitely be making this and will try it out with tofu as well :)

Bethany @ The OC Fit Girl — March 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm

This looks AMAZING!!!!

a farmer in the dell — March 4, 2013 at 3:56 pm

This is SCREAMING summer! Love it!

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats — March 4, 2013 at 5:50 pm

YUM! I just made chipotle copycat burrito bowls last week..its my favorite too! This looks fabulous..its making me so hungry!!

Julie @ Table for Two — March 4, 2013 at 8:12 pm

i’m obsessed with chipotle but i’m even more obsessed with it at home!! this sounds and looks like absolute heaven!!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — March 5, 2013 at 2:17 am

I just got a cast iron pan yesterday and made chicken in it for the first time tonight. OMG! My world is changed. It came out juicy and tender. Not at all like when you bake it. Ok moving onto these rice bowls. I usually have some form of this recipe for dinner twice a week. But this marinade looks heavenly. I’ll have to give it a try this week.

Jackie @ The Beeroness — March 5, 2013 at 11:49 am

That looks glorious! I could eat that every day

• simplyscratch replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

Thanks Jackie, me too!

Robby — March 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm

You are responsible for my trip to Chipotle for lunch today, just so you know. Meanwhile, I’ll be gathering the ingredients for a run at this at home. Thanks for sorting out the details for us.

• simplyscratch replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

I take full responsibility! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — March 5, 2013 at 4:07 pm

This would have made one killer lunch today – way better than what I had! Need to make this soon!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — March 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm

This is happening soon!

Herbivore Triathlete — March 5, 2013 at 7:36 pm

The closest Chipotle for me is about 2 hours away so sadly I’ve only ever eaten there once but it was oh so good when I did!

Michelle — March 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

looks delicious! Love that little spice jar with the spoon!

Alycia Reid — March 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Your chicken recipes have been so spot on for me lately! I love this idea; so easy to throw together on a week-night. We had it two nights in a row as the recipe made a good amount of leftovers. I couldn’t get Chipotle at my store, so subbed chopped Jalapenos and used some extra spices…delicious. Thanks again for another wonderful dinner idea :)

Steffanie Baez — March 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I came across your page a few weeks ago and I love it. Keep up the good work! Anywho,when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. So I did. And it was AMAZING! My husband couldn’t stop making delicious moaning sounds! He is spanish and loves rice and beans of course. I love anything with fresh tomatoes, sour cream, etc…. So this was a perfect combination of the two. We also try to eat rather healthy and this bowl didnt make us feel guilty at all. Its perfect the way it is. Totally recommend trying it!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 7th, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

I’m so glad Steffanie! My hubby made those same sounds… weird!

MeredithB — March 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm

just made this for dinner…..i never want to eat anything other than this for as long as i live!

thanks for sharing the recipe!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — March 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I’ve never bee more unenthused about the leftovers in my fridge right now… I want one of these instead!!

Margie — March 8, 2013 at 12:14 am

Made this for dinner tonight… left overs for lunch tomorrow… can’t wait!! I’m pretty much addicted to salads from Chipotle and ended up serving this over some chopped romaine! No salad dressing needed! :-)

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have been wanting to try this for ages!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 8th, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

I love it! Love that you served it on romaine :)

Janis {Finding Frenchie} — March 13, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m making this tonight for dinner- can’t wait! Please tell me where you got the pretty seafoam green bowls in the pics? They’re gorgeous!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 14th, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

Hi Janis! I got those at Target YEARS ago :( Sorry! But I hope you liked the fajita bowls!

CBarnes — March 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm

All I can say is DE -DOUBLELICIOUS..I made this last night…holy cow sooo fresh and sooo delicious..LOVE LOVE and so does the husband..can’t wait to make again!

I used 2 boil in the bag Uncle Bens….also added mushrooms

Keisha — March 18, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This looks sooooo yummy delicious! I too love making meals from scratch and would be preparing this dish on Sunday for my family.

Ali B. — March 23, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I love your recipes and this one did not disappoint. DH and I love Chipotle, but the one by us is always CRAZY crowded so this gave us our fix without having to deal with all the teenagers. Plus I’m always looking for great recipes that are easy to scale up for a crowd and this one is also definitely one of those. Thanks!

danielle — March 28, 2013 at 5:52 pm

ummm yes. that was worth the effort of still being on my feet just before dinner. (i’m 37 weeks pregnant with my third.). i just maybe ate it too fast. thanks for this delicious recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 28th, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

Thanks Danielle! Glad you {and baby} enjoyed it! :)

Maria — March 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I made this last night … and let me tell you ahhhh-mazerful!! Unfortunately for Chipotle, they have lost my 4x a month habit LOL! I made the black beans Cuban style. And substituted sour cream with plain Greek yogurt. Love your site – love your recipes!

• simplyscratch replied: — March 30th, 2013 @ 8:10 am

Thanks Maria! I know.. I never eat there anymore :/ … I’m so glad to hear you liked this recipe and love that you substituted the Greek yogurt for sour cream!

ESDvs — April 18, 2013 at 12:09 am

We did this recipe. It was fantastic! Our cooking actually looked as delicious as yours (anyone else get murky-looking food elsewhere despite following the recipe?). Tasty and healthy and will be repeated!

Robby — April 20, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I wanted to tell you that this marinade was the inspiration for a fundraiser dinner for the youth program at our church. I made a couple of changes, as you often have to when feeding 400!, and it was really a hit. Thanks for both the idea, and an excellent launching point.

lisa — May 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Oh my goodness!! this recipe is INCREDIBLE!! I had to hurry up and feed my kids before they needed to get out the door……so we didn’t even have the time to heat up the beans or saute any peppers and it was still amazing!! I had regular chile powder (not the ancho) and still was incredible!! LOVED IT!! Can’t wait to bust this one out for friends and family!! :) Thanks soooo much for sharing this recipe!!!! love your site too!!

Jennifer — June 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm

This looks so delicious! Especially the chicken! Does it need to be fried? Or can I grill/bake it first?! I know it won’t probably have that delicious buttery fried taste, but I’m looking towards a ‘healthier’ option!

• simplyscratch replied: — June 10th, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

Grill, bake… whatever you want! Just chop it up really good :)

Chandler — July 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

This looks so great! Thank you for posting. I love chipotle and would love to make this at home! Will it completely ruin the taste if I keep out the lime? I’m just not a fan of lime, but I don’t want to take away from the flavor….

• simplyscratch replied: — July 13th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

I’m not sure, but you can cerntainly try it :)

Jennifer — August 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm

YUM! We don’t have a Chipotle where I live (it sucks!) so I really want to try this, the problem is I don’t eat dairy so the butter is a no no for me. Would just using the olive oil okay? I really don’t mind if it’ll taste different.

• simplyscratch replied: — August 20th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

Ohhh yeah, totally go for it! :)

Stephanie — September 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was wonderful! Thanks so much for this recipe. My husband is a picky eater, too, so kudos.

We’re gonna save so much money not going to Chipotle now. =) Thanks again!

SpicyEssence — October 2, 2013 at 7:04 am

Chipotle is one of my favorite Go-To places, and since moving to Kuwait I have been craving it! I was searching chipotle copy-cat recipes and yours looks amazing! Going to be making this tonight for dinner!! Thanks for sharing!!

• simplyscratch replied: — October 2nd, 2013 @ 10:55 pm

That’s awesome! You will love it!

Terry Grieve @ Culinary Collage — October 18, 2013 at 10:43 am

I love this recipe!!! I’ve made it at least 25 times since you posted this and every time we eat it we say how good it is. It makes wonderful leftovers for lunch the next day too! Thank you

• simplyscratch replied: — October 19th, 2013 @ 1:09 am

Thanks Terry! I’m so happy to hear you love it!

Nova — October 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for putting this out there. I have allergies and can’t eat meat (no red, chicken or turkey) anymore so I swapped the chicken breast for Quorn Tenders. Just as yummy as your recipe with the right changes for my dietary needs. I’m considering doing this again with quinoa instead of rice ( I’m hopelessly hooked on that little grain). I’ll be checking in with you again to see what other delights I can create with your direction.

herbs used to increase breast size — November 23, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Howdy, I believe your website might be having web browser compatibility issues.
    Whenever I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet Explorer,
    it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted
    to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic site!

Katie — February 4, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I have been meaning to make this for months and finally had some chicken and cilantro that I needed to use – i make Mexican food at least once a week, this is my new favorite!!!- I can’t wait to have leftovers tomorrow! I didn’t even notice that there wasn’t cheese on it- And didn’t miss it :). The avocados at Trader Joes weren’t very ripe so the only change I made was using their chunky guacamole – I also added fresh salsa-

Thanks for the great recipe!

Talea — March 19, 2014 at 7:17 pm

When I say this was better than Chipotle, it was! I loved the flavors and I was so glad that I was able to add as much chicken as I wanted within the extra charge! LOL it’s a lot of prep work but I will definitely put this in my Mexican night rotation!

Selena — April 11, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Made this last night and it was a huge hit!! I’m embarrassed to say, but I go to Chipotle about 5-7 times a month. I love their chicken bowls. Your recipe is to the “T”! This will be added to my regular meals that I will cook at home :) So glad I came across your site. I look forward to cooking up some more of your recipes!

Tammy — April 18, 2014 at 10:52 am

I was turned on to Chipotle’s about 2 months ago, and needless to say, I loved it. I decided I wanted to duplicate their chicken bowl/burritos @ home, and came across your site. I haven’t tried them yet, but just looking at the ingredients sounds good and will be making them tonite. I love good food and also love to cook, but really don’t have the time for it anymore, other than once a week. I plan to use your recipes, except that I will grill the chicken – personal preference. I am sooo looking forward to dinner tonite! Thanks for sharing and I have a feeling I will be checking our your site regularly.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:12 pm

Yes! Grilling would be extra yummy! Thanks for stopping by Tammy!

Marcy — April 18, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Thank you- made this for dinner tonight- my whole family LOVED it. So super yummy!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:09 pm

Yay! So glad Marcy!

Deeann Shearer — April 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm

This is the BEST recipe ever! LOVE, love,love that I can make it at home and feel like I am at the restaurant but without the cost! Yum! Thank you!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 26th, 2014 @ 8:34 pm

You are welcome Deeann! I’m so happy you love it! :)

Katherine — April 27, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Holy Moly! So glad I ran into this recipe. We just made it and it was DELICIOUS! So much flavor and very easy to make. Thank you!

Angie — May 1, 2014 at 4:27 pm

This issss soooo goooood just got done making this! The chicken is moist and so flavorful exactly like chipolte . Chipolte just decided to raise there prices to 8.00 2 days ago so this recipe is right on exactly the same! Thank you so much !!

tanesha — May 18, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Really good. made this for dinner tonight and it exceeded my expectations!!! taste explosion!!!!

kim — May 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Great copy cat. I don’t know where to begin! I marinated my chicken overnight and used Adobe seasoning with pepper instead of salt along with the listed seasonings. I used store brand medium salsa. I really thought I wouldn’t be happy with the taste of the dish as I assembled it, but to my surprise, this dish tasted absolutely delicious! The only way I will ever walk into a Chipotle restaurant again will be because I didn’t have time to make this myself. Very good, on point with ingredients, recipe.

Juliet — June 10, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Ooohhhhhh I’m making this tomorrow for dinner!

Angela — June 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Made this tonight and it was delicious! It’s my favorite burrito/fajita bowl to date! I substituted portobella mushrooms for the chicken. Mmmmm!!

jeff — July 18, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Second time in 1 week. Not exaggerating. This is better than Chipolte and with seconds at little extra charge. Will not accidentally put 3 Chile’s in this time. Ouch!

Amanda — August 10, 2014 at 8:21 pm

“Mom, this is really good! Almost as good as Chipotle” said my 14 year old. That single comment made this meal a success and a keeper! Thank you!

Kate — August 11, 2014 at 12:19 am

I just made this and it totally was that good. Didn’t have the peppers/adobo on hand so I just left those out but did everything else as written. Completely delicious and gives Chipotle a run for its money. Thanks for sharing!!

1. Pingback: chipotle chicken & veggies rice bowl | my windy city

2. Pingback: Mothers Day Inspired Recipe Round Up | Better with Cake

3. Pingback: Farmer's Market Friday: Sweet Corn | Pocket Change Gourmet

4. Pingback: What’s for Lunch? Breaking the Eating-Out Cycle | Defiantly Healthy

5. Pingback: Fresh Produce Recipes | Pocket Change Gourmet

6. Pingback: The Chicken Toss | Oh My Potluck!

7. Pingback: Cilantro Lime Rice with Success Basmati Rice unOriginal Mom