Sweet Corn Salsa

Lately I’ve been noticing a lot of salsa recipes poppin’ up all over the internet; And lemme just tell you, people get pretty creative! I’ve seen strawberry and melon salsas… spicy, pepper and tomato salsas, which then totally reminded me that I haven’t shared with you my recipe for corn salsa! This corn salsa is a cinch to put together and crisp, cool and super yummy!

Sweet Corn Salsa

There was a time when the only chance I could get my hands on some corn salsa would be when I was dining at Chipotle on my lunch break with my friends from the hospital. Until one day I decided to make it myself. There’s just something about this salsa that is completely addicting… not quite sure what it is yet. But one thing I know is that I don’t feel a bit guilty sitting down in front of the tube with a bowl of this corn salsa and an even bigger bowl of these chips. Nope…not a tad bit guilty. Unless I’m drinking a beer, then maybe… wait. Nope… not then either.

Here is what you’ll need… along with some olive oil and kosher salt.

Start off my cutting your poblano pepper in half from top to bottom.

Drizzle with a tablespoon of extra light olive oil.

Then just place them, skin side down, on the preheated {medium-high} grill, for 5 minutes no need to turn them. If you don’t want to grill them then just set them on a baking sheet under a broiler for a few minutes.

You want them a little soft, but not completely cooked.

Next just slice them into strips and then into a large dice.

Now move on to the jalapeno. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the stem, seeds, and the ribs {that’s where the heat is} and discard.

Slice the jalapeno into strips, thinner than the poblano…

…and give them a small chop.

Now go wash your hands because you will eventually itch your eye and then you will be in some serious trouble and serious pain. Trust me… I did that with a habanero this week… while talking to the neighbor lady… you can ONLY imagine how embarassing and painful! OUCH!

Ps… that recipe will be posted soon! … if I ever get my sight back in that eye.

Same goes for the red onion. If you have a large onion, cut it in half and save the one half for another recipe. You only need about 3 tablespoons of onions… so you don’t cut up the whole thing.

Make small slices going from the root to the top of the onion. You can even slice the onion starting at the bottom going through the onion towards the root. Ya got that?

Then dice into small pieces, the same size as the jalapeno.

Use whatever corn you want, fresh, {thawed} frozen, steamed or grilled whatever… maybe just not canned corn. As long as it’s 2 cups worth of corn you’re all good!

Toss the poblano, jalapeno and red onion in with the corn.

Chop the cilantro… I then added it to the bowl, but you won’t ever really know it because I forgot to take a pic of that. But you can imagine some nicely minced cilantro in the bowl of corn, peppers and onions right? Okay super!

Put the squeeze on half of a lime. I like limes better than lemons… no seeds to fall in my bowl for me to then fish out!

Drizzle with some more extra light olive oil, about a tablespoon or so.

Sprinkle with a half a teaspoon of sugar and a couple of pinches of kosher salt to taste.

Give it a good couple of stirs and serve. Or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Sweet corn… cilantro… fresh lime juice… Tastes like SUMMERTIME!! Top it on some tacos, scoop it with chips or straight out of the bowl with a spoon… doesn’t really matter… it’s GOOD.

Sweet Corn Salsa 2

Sweet Corn Salsa

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

2 Cups Corn {fresh or frozen}

1 Poblano Pepper

1 Jalapeno, halved, seeded and diced small

3 tablespoons Red Onion, diced small

1 tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, roughly chopped

1/2 a Lime, juiced

1/2 a teaspoon Sugar, more or less to taste

Kosher Salt, to taste

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grilling

Preheat grill to medium-high. Slice the poblano in half from top to bottom. Brush with extra-light olive oil and place {skin side down} on pre-heated grill for 5-7 minutes, or until soft but still firm. Let cool, discard stem and seeds. Slice the pepper into strips and then into a large dice, set aside.

In a large bowl; place the two cups of corn, the diced onion, poblano, jalapeno and cilantro. Sprinkle with a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a couple pinches of kosher salt. Drizzle with olive oil and fresh lime juice. Toss. Taste to check seasonings and serve!

21 Responses to “Sweet Corn Salsa”

Mama J — June 3, 2011 at 11:47 am

Beautiful photos…. I love this recipe!

Kristy Lynn — June 3, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I love that we all have our own versions of salsa as well… That would make for an interesting potluck – everyone bring their favourite salsa and whatever vehicle they prefer to get said salsa from plate to mouth!

Heidi — June 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

That looks beautiful! I need to try this as soon as we have fresh corn available. I like it so much more than frozen 🙂 One thing though.. I don't have a grill or a gas range or anything. I think I've heard of it before, but can you roast the peppers in the oven, maybe on broil? I love the flavor of poblano peppers 😀 Thank you for sharing the recipe!

insidenanabreadshead — June 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm

This is my idea of the perfect summer relish. It has all of my favorites! I may have to make carnitas this weekend and try it out!

Amy — June 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I'm one of those anti-cilantro people, but this sounds great even if I leave it out. This will be really tasty on top of a big salad. Yum!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Cheryl and Adam — June 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

This looks so perfectly refreshing on a hot day like today! Just looking at it cools me off. I think I have everything I'll need in the kitchen already so it's on tonight's menu for sure.

Amanda — June 4, 2011 at 1:57 am

loving this recipe! looks so fresh and delicious.:)

Rosita Vargas — June 4, 2011 at 4:59 am

This look nice,this recipes looks so fresh and delicious,cariños y abrazos.

Lazaro Cooks! — June 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Fantastic post. Great vibrant photos.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — June 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Oh I can see how this would be very addicting indeed. Looks amazing, I love the colors! (I have also done the jalapeno on the finger and touch your face thing… yowzahs! Putting milk on it does help a bit though :))

Chef in Training — June 6, 2011 at 5:33 am

this is beautiful! I love all the colors and it looks delicious! I happened to stumble across your blog and I LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki

Purabi Naha — June 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

This looks awesome, with the corn and all the other yummy ingredients in right proportions. Loved the recipe, just right for summers!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — June 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

What beautiful colorful salsa. I have this fear of hot peppers but maybe I'll brave some and try this rece!

Tina — June 9, 2011 at 12:13 pm

This is a nice change from the standard salsa and the fresh veggies in your picture are calling to me. Time to break out the chips! Thanks for sharing.

Emily Malloy — June 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

All you need in life is salsa, I think!

Laura A — June 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Love the recipe! Great pictures! Awsome job!

Erin — June 11, 2011 at 1:06 am

Great recipe! So pretty and perfect for summer. And salsa goes perfectly with beer, and should always be guilt free!

Mary — June 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

This is gorgeous! I love corn salad, so even called salsa, I would probably end up eating this with a spoon. Yum!

Traveler Kate — September 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I took my leftovers of this and added a can of refried black beans, more corn, some bell peppers and cheese, baked it for about 10 minutes, stirred, added more cheese and backed for another 20. Ah-mazing dip! Love your recipes, you're making cooking accessible for newbies like me 🙂

1. Pingback: Aula 1 – Cortes de vegetais (1º Semestre – habilidades básicas) | retalhosgastronomicos

2. Pingback: Sweet Corn Salsa – Anna's Gourmet Delights