Roasted Marinated Broccoli

In this marinated broccoli recipe fresh broccoli is marinated and then roasted until toasty and caramelized. Truth: Broccoli has never tasted so good!

I know, broccoli on a Monday?! {Wah-wah-wahhhhhh}

Yeah… but after the grilled brats topped with caramelized onions and peppers {in bacon fat, wha-what!?} annnnd the beer I consumed yesterday, I thought you may be in the same boat as me… the detox boat.

Roasted Marinated Broccoli l SimplyScratch.com

So broccoli. Let’s just lay it all out there… its got a bad rap. I’ve always wondered why that is… and how that rumor actually got started. I bet it was a 6 year old… and I bet it’s because it’s green. Or maybe because it’s so good for you? Very, very curious. Because I’m pretty sure I’ve always liked it. Steamed, in soup or on a veggie platter and dunked it ranch, I’ve never been scurred of broccoli…never.

broccoli stuff

So hopefully this recipe blows any bad ideas of broccoli out of the water. And it should because this particular roasted broccoli takes a nice soak in an Italian-dressing-like-marinade and then it’s roasted until it gets toasty and caramelized.

Let’s do it.

trim

Start by trimming of those thick stems.

choppin broccoli

Cut those into smaller florets, I like to leave a little extra stem on my broccoli… but you do what you like.

olive oil, vinegar and garlic

In a large bowl combine 4 tablespoons olive oil, two tablespoons red wine vinegar and two cloves of garlic that have been pressed in a garlic press.

mustard

Add in a tablespoon of grainy Dijon mustard.

dijon and pepper

Season with some freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt…

whisk

And whisk away.

toss in the broccoli

Throw in the broccoli florets…

Toss

Toss with your bare hands, because who doesn’t like to get their hands dirty… and let those marinate for a few.

ROAST

Spread those broccoli florets on a rimmed baking sheet and pop them into a scorching 425 degree preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

Roasted Marinated Broccoli l SimplyScratch.com

That’s it. Season with more kosher salt if you like but otherwise these babies are good to go. I made these to go along this steak and these potatoes. The flavor is crazy good and it only takes 25 minutes to whip up!

Enjoy! And if you give this Marinated Broccoli recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!

Roasted Marinated Broccoli l SimplyScratch.com

Roasted Marinated Broccoli

Broccoli is marinated and then roasted until toasty and caramelized. Truth: Broccoli has never tasted so good!

Yield: 6 servings

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

2 bunches of fresh broccoli

4 tablespoons of olive oil

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I like "country style")

2 cloves Fresh garlic, pressed through a garlic press

1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon of black Pepper

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Trim the tough stems off of two bunches of fresh broccoli and cut the larger pieces into smaller florets.

In a large bowl combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, mustard, kosher salt and black pepper.

Toss the florets into the marinade and let them soak for 10 or so minutes.

Spread the marinated florets on a rimmed, aluminum sheet pan. Pop them into the scorching 425 degree oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.

Toss and sprinkle with more kosher salt if desired and enjoy!

37 Responses to “Roasted Marinated Broccoli”

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — February 4, 2013 at 7:38 am

For some strange reason I was unusual as a child and have loved broccoli all my life. I think my favorite way to consume it is either steamed with a bit of herby salt or raw with hummus (if I’m really hungry). This however sounds incredible. I’ve recently disovered how good dijon mustard is so I think it’s safe to say that I’m going to love this! Have a great week Laurie 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Good to know I’m not the only one! Thank you Antonia, you do to the same 🙂

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 4, 2013 at 11:23 am

Broccoli is always a good idea in my opinion!! Love that marinade!

Rina@Itheecook — February 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I love roasted broccoli. I never thought to marinate it. Great idea!

Jillian — February 4, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I love broccoli! This looks do good Laurie!

Ashly — February 4, 2013 at 8:29 am

Sound easy, looks delicious!

Jenny @ BAKE — February 4, 2013 at 8:31 am

I love broccoli, you’ve just made it so much tastier!

Ali B. — February 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

I love veggies but sometimes get tired of just steaming or sauteing them. They’re always an afterthought and never super interesting. However, we’re giving up meat for Lent so veggie recipes will come in super handy! Plus I love your recipes.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 4, 2013 at 11:28 am

Lovely recipe! For some reason, I had never roasted broccoli until recently – it has so much more flavor than when boiled, which I used to do weekly. Thanks for sharing, Laurie!

a farmer in the dell — February 4, 2013 at 11:42 am

I’m stoked you gave broccoli a little love on a Monday! IT’s one of my favorites and roasting it is the best! this looks delicious.

Tasha Zee — February 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Delicious and healthy … whaaaatt?? Love this recipe! And I have to say broccoli is also my fav veggie.

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungry — February 4, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I have always loved broccoli but I have never thought about roasting it. My mind is officially blown.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — February 4, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I love broccoli, pass me a fork! And luckily, so does my daughter. I HAVE to try this, soon.

Kathy C — February 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I have always loved broccoli and my kids have too. It is so funny because people would always tell me how their kids would never eat broccoli or cabbage and mine always did. I never did roast it though so this sounds real good. Love anything marinated so I’ll give it a try. Now my kids have kids so I’ll have to pass this on to them.

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — February 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I’m making vegan cream of broccoli soup for the very same reason today. LOL. Detox tiiiime. This looks great! I love that you marinated it before roasting. It really add yet another layer of flavor after roasting.

Ann — February 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I have always loved broccoli too but as a kid I would only eat it raw. Roasting is definitely the way to go! This looks great. Can’t wait to try it!

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies — February 4, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Mondays are perfect broccoli days because I always need to detox after a weekend… This recipe sounds super tasty!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

AMEN Kelly! 🙂

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — February 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Roasted broccoli is my fave, it even beats out broccoli with cheese sauce. Lovin’ the vinaigrette too, so good n’ mustardy!

Herbivore Triathlete — February 4, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I’m a life long broccoli lover as well. I’m also a firm believer than any vegetable is better roasted. Love the marinade, looks scrumptious!

steph@stephsbitebybite — February 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I’ve been wanting a new way to cook broccoli. I usually just have it steamed but that’s getting so boring. And this sounds like the perfect way to change it up!

Emmanuelle — February 5, 2013 at 1:42 am

I’ve never tried to prepare brocoli that way, but I will! Definitely! Looks delicious, thanks for the idea! And to go with your detox lunch you can also prepare a soup with the brocoli stems, it’s great too!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert — February 5, 2013 at 11:43 am

This really sounds wonderful. We adore roasted vegetables and the idea of the mustard and garlic has me ready to give it a go!

MeredithB — February 5, 2013 at 8:00 pm

tried this for dinner tonight, and it is so good! I could just make a meal out of it!

thanks for sharing!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — February 6, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love roasted broccoli! I’ve never tried marinating it first, sounds great!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — February 6, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hey, I would eat this any day of the week!

laura — February 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

broccoli is alwas good on any day
    text for free at

Aly Mashrah — February 6, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love broccoli and this looks SO good. I am going to try this tomorrow (:

Alison — February 7, 2013 at 5:10 am

Amazing! I definitely roast broccoli often, but I’ve never thought of marinating it, or adding something beyond olive oil/salt/pepper. I love the addition of the Dijon!

Audra | The Baker Chick — February 11, 2013 at 9:31 pm

This broccoli looks so wonderful! I love that crispy slightly charred texture of roasted broccoli. Sometimes I get lazy and just blanch it- but this looks amazing and worth trying for sure!

Jennifer S. — February 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I’m gonna try the marinade on asparagus next and grill it. I’ll let you know how it works! The marinade was super on the broccoli! So sick of steaming and pouring lemon juice over broccoli. I’m dying to make the white bean hummus (I just want to roast lemons really!) thanks for the great ideas!

Jana Millen — February 28, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I am definitely going to try this. Have you tried this marinade on cauliflower?

• simplyscratch replied: — February 28th, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

Hi Jana! Noooo I haven’t but I bet it would be lovely! Let me know if you do 🙂

Tanya — March 4, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Good gracious! This has to be my new favorite way to eat broccoli. It was sooooo yummy. Thanks for another great one.

• simplyscratch replied: — March 5th, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

You are so welcome! Glad you liked it! 🙂

Kristin — April 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Always looking for new ways to serve veggies. This was really good!

Irem — October 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm

This looks really awesome but anyone have any ideas for those who just hate mustard?