Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes

Happy 400th post! Can you EVEN believe it?

I’ve written 400 posts and cooked some 400-ish recipes? I can’t possibly have that much to say or eat, could I? But then again I do like to talk… annnnd eat soooooooo.

Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes

Quick question… have you ever wondered how restaurants make those crusty, salty potatoes? Potatoes with a thin sheet of salt that cracks and crumbles as you cut into it… yeah *siiigh* those.

That’s what we’re making today.

ingredients

This is a three ingredient gig so it’s potatoes, olive oil and kosher salt. However, three ingredients quickly turn into 6 when you top them with butter, a dollop{s} of sour cream and a sprinkle of snipped chives but what-evs. The olive oil is not only what makes the salt stick but it also flavors the skin as well, and I love me some potato skin!

These spuds are so easy that it’s a leetle silly that I’m posting it… but I just had to share these with you guys. I made these just the other day to go alongside steak and some roasted broccoli {recipes coming soon!} and they’re dreamy annnnnd salty! Either way you just have-ta make them!.

dry

Start by scrubbing and drying the potatoes really well. My mom made me a homemade potato scrubber out of a giant swatch of tulle and they work like a dream. Hi MOM!

brush with olive oil

Brush with olive oil. I usually have two hands free and hold the potato… but you get the idea.

roll it in the salt

Next just roll it around in a dish of kosher salt until evenly coated.

rolled

Then pop the potatoes into a 350 degree oven to bake for 45-60 minutes depending on their size. These were pretty big so I baked them for an hour… but they are fully cooked when a knife pierces easily, meeting zero resistance.

Sorry that I don’t have a picture of these all jazzed up… I must have been too busy STUFFING MY FACE!

Enjoy!

crusted

Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes

salt. crusted. potatoes. It's as easy as that!

Yield: 4

Cook Time: 45-60 minutes

Total Time: 50-60 minutes

4 Russet Potatoes

1/4 cup Olive Oil

1/4 cup Kosher Salt

Butter, for serving

Sour Cream, for serving

Snipped Chives, for serving

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Scrub the potatoes and dry them really good.

Add olive oil and kosher salt into two different baking dishes.

Brush the olive oil on the potato with a basting brush and let any excess oil drip back into the dish. Now roll the potato into the salt, covering the entire potato. Any leftover salt can be saved for a later purpose.

Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes until a knife pierces easily, meeting little to no resistance.

Cut the potato {not all the way through} lengthwise and then top with butter, sour cream, chopped chive if that's your thing or try bacon, ranch and cheddar OH MY!

32 Responses to “Salt Crusted Baked Potatoes”

Kris — January 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Happy 400! These look great!

Alexandra — January 16, 2013 at 12:37 pm

So easy! Love your blog!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 16, 2013 at 12:43 pm

What a fabulous side! These look awesome.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

CONGRATS on 400 posts my friend! Laurie, that is marvelous. I am halfway there – celebrating 200 posts on Monday. :) I can’t wait to reach up to 400 like you. Amazing job. Onto potatoes… self crusted with salt? The simplicity of it blows my mind because I can only imagine how incredible these are. Is it weird that I would want to cut them up and use your homemade ketchup as a condiment for my potatoes? I hope not. :)

• simplyscratch replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

Thanks Sally! And no, homemade ketchup would be totally appropriate! :)

Aparna B. @ Not A Leaf — January 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Is it bad that prior to reading this, I didn’t know that restaurants served this kind of potato? :-X Either way, it sounds delicious! I love eating my baked potatoes with just a little butter and more cracked black pepper than should be allowed ;) Happy 400th post!

Kathryn — January 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Congratulations on reaching 400 posts, what an awesome achievement! Even better that you’re celebrating with some really tasty potatoes!

Laura — January 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Adding steak night onto the menu soon – these look fabulous! Who knew a potato could look so damn good?

Congrats on 400! Here’s to 400 more :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — January 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Girl, oh my gosh. Congrats on the 400th post! You should probably give me some potatoes to celebrate.

Just an idea.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

Ha-ha thanks Bev… Yes potatoes and WINE!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Happy 400! And these are just awesome. So simple but I’m literally drooling in front of the computer right now. I adore salt. ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 16, 2013 at 3:47 pm

OMG FEED ME – these are the perfect way to celebrate!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — January 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Genius!

a farmer in the dell — January 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm

happy 400th post! I love that there is only 3 ingredients. Major win!

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — January 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Happy 400th post Laurie!!! Those potatoes are the perfect celebratory treat :)

Jackie @ The Beeroness — January 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I love this! I have a salt crusted chicken going in my book. There is something so magical about salt and roasting that just brings out so much flavor.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 16th, 2013 @ 9:29 pm

Ooooh salt crusted chicken… YUM!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 16, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Happy 400th!!!!!!!!! The easiest things to make are often the tastiest! It’s kind of ironic that these piping hot potatoes look like they’re covered in frost.

Cassie | Bake Your Day — January 16, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Congrats on 400 posts. You are a rockstar and these potatoes are rad!!

Shea Goldstein — January 16, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I make mind kinda the same way – but i use the no calorie spray butter instead of oil with tons of sea salt. Thanks for sharing – they look amazing!!

Herbivore Triathlete — January 17, 2013 at 1:07 am

I’ve never seen these kinds of potatoes in restaurants before! They look fabulous and super easy to make, I will have to try them asap.

Congrats on 400 posts, that is quite an achievement!

Denise — January 17, 2013 at 2:57 am

Congrats on 400! That is huge … :)

Isn’t this the best way to bake a potato – I started doing it this way a few years ago, and have never gone back to foil wrapped! Love the salty and crispy skins dipped into butter!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 17, 2013 at 6:41 am

Happy 400th post! And my oh my – these potatoes are my weakness! I’m such a sucker for carbs.

Jenny @ BAKE — January 17, 2013 at 9:52 am

400 posts! what an achievement! congratulations! these potatoes look delicious, they look like they’ve been left out in the cold and are covered in frost!

Gail — January 17, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I only salt crust the top – a chef around 30 years ago told me about this and thats the way I make them unless I stuff them – they look beautiful – think i will buy a couple of big russets for tonites dinner – Thanks for all your posts – love reading them.

Julia {The Roasted Root} — January 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Happy 400th! This is absolutely incredible and you should be so proud of yourself! Yes, I have wondered how restaurants make salty crispy baked potatoes and yes, I want them with dinner! I never would have taken the time to figure this out so I’m glad you did all the work for me! Olive oil is definitely a trick I would not have thought up! Thanks for your 400 amazing posts!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 17, 2013 at 5:29 pm

That is so much better than just throwing it in the oven!

Congrats on 400 posts – I love reading them, so keep them coming!

Jayne — January 18, 2013 at 3:19 am

I saw this and had to comment! You made my heart quiver seeing the salt crust. Oh my…

Our Kitchen Inventions — January 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Congrats on your milestone of 400 posts…..that’s a lot of cooking and photos, girlfriend! LOL!

Mike Clifford — March 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

These are similar to an upstate NY treat called salt potatoes. You buy a 5lb bag of baby red potatoes. Included in the bag is a BIG bag of salt. You simply boil the potatoes in a super salty brine and when they are done they have the salty crust. Put them in a bowl of melted butter, grab and eat with your fingers.

If you are lucky, they are accompanied by grilled pork spiedies on fresh Italian bread, and a bowl of fresh cucumbers in salty vinegar water, and copious amounts of malted, fermented or distilled beverage.

www.carpetcleaningaustintx.com — June 7, 2013 at 10:25 am

What’s up, just wanted to say, I enjoyed this blog post. It was funny. Keep on posting!

www.bledsoebuilding.com — June 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

What’s up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this post. It was practical. Keep on posting!