How To: Brown Butter!

Okay my friends, if you haven’t made brown butter… what is wrong with you? Jusssst kidding.

No but really, why not? It’s soooo easy and if you can even imagine it… browned butter is actually more delicious than regular-non-browned-butter is! I know, craziness!

browned

Brown butter is simply cooking the milk solids in the butter until they are a deep golden and, well… brown.

That’s it!

Here are a few steps to help you first-timers.

butter

Drop butter into a skillet over medium heat.

melting

Let it melt.

milk solids

Stir occasionally.

butter4

You’ll start to notice the change in color. That is the glorious magic of browning butter.

browned

Pull it off right when it reaches a deep amber color. Now here are a few recipes for your viewing pleasure that call for browned butter! And believe me… that list is growing!

brown butter stuff

1: Oatmeal Brûlée with Brown Buttered Pears and Cinnamon Ginger Cream!

2: Roasted Butternut Squash and Orecchiette Pasta in a Brown Butter Sage Sauce

3: Eggnog French Toast Sticks and Brown Butter Maple Syrup

4: Ginger Pumpkin Bread with Maple Brown Butter Icing

5: Brown Butter – Peanut Butter Cookies

Feel free to link up your favorite brown butter recipes in the comment section below :)!

9 Responses to “How To: Brown Butter!”

danielle — December 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm

these!!!! nutella-stuffed brown butter + sea salt chocolate chip cookies

i’ve made them three times in the past few weeks. seriously the best cookies i’ve ever had.

Ginger — December 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Salted Browned Butter Rice Krispie Treats anyone? Oh yes, I think so! :-)

Cassie | Bake Your Day — December 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Droooling. Seriously. This is my favorite.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’m totally in the group of people that have yet to make or experienced browned butter but it’s totally on my to do list.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

LOVE Brown Butter!

Julie @ Table for Two — December 23, 2012 at 2:17 am

omg i could drink brown butter…it’s so amazing. i want to make it into a plug-in or candle so my house would permanently smell like brown butter.

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — January 3, 2013 at 4:01 am

Brown butter is the best!

Tracy — February 5, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I just came across your blog and have read a few posts. I’m in love. I don’t need a crystal ball to foresee a larger pant size in my future :) Looking forward to trying some of these incredible looking creations.