Cabernet Ganache Swirled Brownies

These brownies were SOOO meant to be a Friday post. Chocolate. Wine. Brownie. Yup… FRIDAY!!!

It’s been a long time since I posted a chocolate recipe. Like too long.

And it’s been even longer since I posted a brownie recipe.

But after I dredged up this recipe earlier in the week, it struck a chord with my inner chocolate & wine cravings… and I needed the pair together like something fierce.

So I made brownies. With wine. Cabernet… oh heck yes I did!

But first, the ever dreaded line-the-13×9-baking-pan step. Do it, get it over with and move on.

You’ll need 4 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. No matter the brand… just matter the unsweetenedness.

Chop it up all purty and uniform like.

Toss it into a sauce pan with 3/4 cup of unsalted butter. Butter and chocolate… I could stop here… but then I’d miss the wine. Ummmm yeah no thanks.

I melted the two together over low heat just until they are smoooooooooth and silky.

See the silkiness?

To the melted buttery-chocolate I added in two cups of granulated sugar.

And one by one I added in three large eggs, whisking after each egg.

Eeeek! Then comes the wiiiiiiine. Pour in a 1/2 cup of Cabernet. Then fill your glass back up and sip… and sip…. and sip.

Add in a teaspoon of vanilla and scootch off to the side.

Then in a large bowl, I combined the cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of both baking soda and kosher salt.

I then poured that drunken chocolate into the dry ingredients.

Annnnd mixed.

There will be a few lumps… but don’t worry about those!

Spread 2/3 of the brownie batter into your prepared pan and just move right on to the wine ganache! Yup you heard ME… wine ganache!!

I started by adding 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter to a small sauce pan…

Then 3/4 of a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks.

And then three tablespoons more of Cabernet.

I stirred this over low heat until melt-y and smooth.

I spooned it all over the top of the brownie batter…

Before adding the rest of the batter over THAT.

Smoothed it all out…

Then I took a knife and did some swirlelys.

I may have gone overboard… so only go two or three turns through the pan.

See… I sort of lost the whole swirl effect. Bummer.

Cut. Divide. Devour.

And drink these fudgy wine-infused brownies with a glass of Cab.

TGIF!

Cabernet Ganache Swirled Brownies

Chocolate and Cabernet come together... at last!

Yield: 12 servings

Cook Time: 25-30 minutes, plus an hour or two to cool

Total Time: approximately 1-1/2 hours

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, divided

4 ounces Unsweetened Chocolate, evenly chopped

2 cups Sugar

3 whole Eggs

1 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract

1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons Cabernet Sauvignon Wine

1 cup All Purpose Flour

1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda

1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

3/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

These brownies were adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Cherry Cabernet Brownies

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper and grease with either butter or your misto and set aside.

In a medium size sauce pan over low heat; melt the 3/4 cup of butter and the 4 ounces of chopped unsweetened chocolate.

Once the chocolate has melted and is smooth add in the two cups of sugar.

Add in the three eggs, whisking after each addition.

Stir in Vanilla and the half cup of Cabernet.

In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Pour the chocolate/sugar mixture into the bowl, stir until all the ingredients are incorporated and set aside.

For the ganache: In a small sauce pan combine the 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons of butter and the 3 tablespoons of Cabernet. Heat over low and stir constantly until smooth and silky.

Spread 2/3 of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the wine-ganache over top. Pour remaining 1/3 batter over the ganach and spread with a knife or offset spatula.

With a sharp knife make a couple zig-zags through the brownies to create a swirl pattern then place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes {In my oven it was more like 25 minutes so watch carefully!}.

Let cool completely before removing the brownies.

Cut and serve and ENJOY!

33 Responses to “Cabernet Ganache Swirled Brownies”

Blog is the New Black — November 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Laurie, this looks decadent!!

Arianne — November 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Two of my most favorite things!

Devon — November 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

This is just what I need to get through the day!! Thank you!!

Amy — November 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm

oh this just sounds perfect!

Gina — November 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Brownies and wine… I definitely have not tried that one yet. :)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — November 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Oh my stars. TGIF indeed!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

These are simply fabulous!

• simplyscratch replied: — November 9th, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

Thanks Katrina!

April — November 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Oh.my.lord!

Antonia @ Health Inspirations — November 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Amazing!!!! I could really use a brownie or two right now!!!

Erika — November 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm

You made wine edible by adding it to chocolate.. Absolutely Brilliant!!!

Cassie | Bake Your Day — November 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Girl, I am head over heels in love with these. Chocolate + wine = my Friday treat!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — November 9, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Just heavenly!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — November 10, 2012 at 12:20 am

You’re making me hurt for brownies BAD! I have the perfect wine to use in this recipe, but I’m out of eggs…must convince myself to make a run to the store to pick up eggs and unsweetened chocolate! Have a great weekend!

Patricia @ ButterYum — November 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Wowzers – I should know better than to read one of your posts before breakfast. I feel like hitting the chocolate bright and early today.

Oh, and that 2nd photo, the one of all the ingredients, is pure perfection!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — November 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

OMG! Boozy brownies! Yeah, pretty sure this should appear in my series :) Love the swirl!

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — November 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Another reason to love Friday. This is my kink of Happy Hour!

kayla — November 10, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Made em. In my mouth right now. Also in my glass of wine from trying to dip it…

Christina — November 11, 2012 at 12:54 am

Question: What if you don’t care for wine?
    *Raising hand*
    Is the wine a prominent flavor? (I’m sorry for asking dumb questions…not a wine-cooker-with-er…)

• simplyscratch replied: — November 11th, 2012 @ 1:38 am

Hi Christina! I personally don’t think that it’s an overwhelming flavor… I can taste it in the batter before I baked it, but I really think it just inhances the chocolate flavor! But depending on the wine… could depend on how much it shines through. Hope this helps!
      Laurie

Christina — November 11, 2012 at 3:42 am

I might have to try them, just to see! The ganache swirl?! I’m fainting. Thank you for answering my question!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 11, 2012 at 5:28 am

Boozy brownies? Uh YES and yes and yes! I may have overdone it but you can tell just how gung-ho I am about these.

neha gattani — November 12, 2012 at 3:43 am

I would love to make these for a potluck dinner party my friend is hosting. Do they travel well?

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 12, 2012 at 4:12 am

Booze and brownies! Yes, please!

Abhi — November 12, 2012 at 4:45 am

STATEMENT: I’m DYING to make (DEVOUR) these!!! QUESTION: Can these be made eggless? What’s the substitute?

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — November 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

My goodness, these look phenomenal. I know that Ghrardelli makes a Cabernet dark chocolate bar now too! They look too dang good to refuse.

The Food Hound — November 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Wine and chocolate, wine and chocolate, YAAAYYY!!! Do you actually taste the wine? Oh I hope so :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — November 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Love wine! Love Brownies – why not have them together?!

kita — November 25, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Im going through my reader – going through your posts and I’m a savory girl. We all know that, but these brownies are what called me in. Holy allmightly they look amazing.

Sandra M — December 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I made these last night to take to a friends house to watch football with some other couples and I made them exactly as your recipe described and they were amazing! One of the guys asked my husband if he could borrow me for a few days to come and cook at his house. I cut them into tiny cubes because they were so rich but I saw people going back for seconds & thirds. The cabernet flavor is not overwhelming but it definitely adds a richness. I will definitely keep this recipe in my book.

• simplyscratch replied: — December 31st, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

SO glad Sandra! Thanks for coming back and leaving a comment! Happy New Year!

Roselyn D — February 19, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I made these for Valentines….OH MY!! They are soooo good. Very rich so we only had small squares at at time. This was my first from scratch brownie and I don’t think I can go back to a box kit ever again. The wine taste is subtle but elegant! I used a Melbec. Thanks so much for this amazing recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Ohh I’ve just recently been introduced to Malbec and we instantly became the best of friends! So glad to hear you liked the brownies :)