Roasted Vanilla & Cardamom Nectarines

This is my favorite time of year because I adore nectarines. They’re similar to peaches, as you know, just minus the fuzz… which I’m cool with. I could eat nectarines one after another after another after another… and never get tired of them.

Ever since I made this recipe I’ve been yearning to roast more fruit. So I grabbed the four nectarines I had left in my fruit bowl and devised a plan. I looked at the clock… it was 3:30pm… the girls would be getting off the bus in an hour… and even though dinnertime was roughly 5:30, I didn’t care… I was going to roast me some nectarines and saddle them up next to ice cream.

The end result being warm roasted nectarines melting the bejesus out of vanilla ice cream. I was prepared to ruin my {and everyone else’s} dinner appetite and I didn’t even care because today’s afternoon snack was going to be dessert.

Start by running your knife around the nectarine, like you would an avocado. Remove the pit, I used a spoon but you could use your fingers too.

Toss the nectarines in a large bowl and set aside.

If you don’t have vanilla sugar don’t worry! You can substitute with regular sugar or even honey. If you do go the honey route, add it to the orange juice and stir until dissolved.

Measure a half teaspoon ground cardamom and add it to the vanilla sugar. I fell in love with cardamom here… and I’ve never looked back.

Grab a nutmeg, uhh clove? Is that what you’d call it?

And grate about 1/8 teaspoon into the sugar/cardamom bowl.

Give it a stir and push it off to the side for a second.

To the quarter cup of OJ add 3/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract and stir.

Pour it all over  the halved nectarines.

Toss them around and let’em chillax while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grab a smallish oven-safe dish.

Place the nectarines in the dish, cut side up and pour the juice over top.

Evenly sprinkle the cardamom sugar over top and slide these into the preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Remove and dot each one with a little of the butter, this give these pups a little richness and pop the nectarines back into the oven for 10 more minutes.

Remove and dish out one nectarine per bowl and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream… or cool whip, yum!

Throw in another nectarine half for s-and-g’s and drizzle a little of the syrup that’s in the baking dish over top.

Oh my heavens. Warm meets cold in a glorious matrimony of all things good in the world…  wait.huh?

This snack is dope. Word.

Roasted Vanilla & Cardamom Nectarines

Yield: 4 servings

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

4 Ripe Nectarines

1/4 cup Vanilla Sugar {can be substituted with regular sugar or honey}

1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom

1/8 teaspoon Fresh Nutmeg, grated

1/4 cup Orange Juice

3/4 teaspoon Real Vanilla Extract

1 tablespoon Butter

4 scoops Vanilla Bean Ice Cream or Coconut Milk Ice Cream

Cut the nectarines in half like you would an avocado, starting at the stem and circle around. Remove the pits and any remaining stem, discard and then add the nectarines to a medium-sized bowl.

Combine the vanilla sugar, cardamom and nutmeg in a small bowl, set aside.
Add the 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla to the orange juice and stir.

Pour the vanilla orange juice over top of the halved nectarines and stir. Let those sit while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place the nectarines, cut side up, in an oven-safe dish. Pour the juice over top and sprinkle with the cardamom sugar.

Slide the nectarines into your preheated oven and roast for 10 minutes.

Remove and dot each nectarine with a little piece of butter. Return the nectarines back to the oven and roast for 10 more minutes.

Remove and let cool for a few minutes and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle a little (or a lot) of the glaze over top.

NOTE: If you want to use honey (use 1/4 cup), add it to the orange juice and stir until dissolved.

30 Responses to “Roasted Vanilla & Cardamom Nectarines”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — September 11, 2012 at 7:25 am

I’m in heaven – the flavors, oh and i bet the scent wafting in your house was divine!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — September 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

This is so simple and tasty looking!

Anonymous — September 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

Looks delish!

Just a note:
    halve – verb indicating the act of cutting something in half
    half – noun indicating 50% of some object

So “Throw in another nectarine halve” really doesn’t make any sense.

• simplyscratch replied: — September 11th, 2012 @ 11:30 am

What’s funny is that grammar check passed it… but I know what your saying, that’s what I get for staying up late to write!

Muna Kenny — September 11, 2012 at 11:23 am

After your post – Banana Nutella Split – I was sure you knew how to make fruits taste divine. I’m not fond of nectarines but willing to try this recipe, since my experience tells me, it will be a pleasant treat :)

Blog is the New Black — September 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

I loooooooove nectarines, too!!! This looks amazing.

Krysten @ Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen — September 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Ah, these peaches look ah-mazing! I have been eyeing those bowls for months! Anthro right? I might have to get them now that you photographed them so well :)

• simplyscratch replied: — September 11th, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

Yup! Love these little bowls!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — September 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wooowee! I love nectarines and cardamom! I’ve never roasted fruit before and it looks like it turns out wonderfully! These nectarines would be a treat either by themselves or alongside ice cream…warm and delicious!

Amber Genise — September 11, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Oh wow, these look delicious! Nice photography (as usual!)

Amber Genise

prettybluerose.com

• simplyscratch replied: — September 11th, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm

LAURIE! I love your bowl. It’s SO pretty. I’m in search of adorable bowls like that. Oh and nectarines are the bomb. I’ve never roasted them before, though!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 11th, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

Thanks Sally! Check out Anthropologie.com that’s where I got them! :)

Kathryn — September 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Such a lovely combination of flavours. Definitely one perfect afternoon snack.

Michelle — September 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm

This looks SO GOOD!! I love both nectarines and cardamom. I’ve never roasted them but I’ve grilled them. Gotta try this one before they’re all gone for the season!

Grubarazzi (@Grubarazzi) — September 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Yum! The fruit looked perfectly gorgeous and ripe to begin with…then you slathered them in cardamom and roasted them. ughhhh. amazing.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I love peaches but the fuzz kind of freaks me out but nectarines – LOOOOVE THEM! I can’t wait to try these – there’s such awesome flavors in this. And the ice cream – yeah, I’m in heaven :)

Brenda — September 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm

These look delicious! I’m not a big eater of fruit but this looks like something I would really like. I too love the bowls! :)

Cassie — September 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm

What great flavors. These are gorgeous!

Amy — September 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm

You are my hero!! Love this:)

Keisha — September 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

These look great! I have some cardamom in my spice cabinet I’ve been wanting to use but it’s so powerful I wasn’t sure how.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — September 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm

These look absolutely delicious. I’m so glad to see you using cardamom. It’s one of my favorite spices and one that is often overlooked. I use it in my peach preserves and it gives a wonderfully different flavor.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — September 12, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I want to get off the bus at your house!

Elana @ The Inventive Vegetarian — September 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I would happily ruin my appetite for dinner for some of this. This looks amazing! Perfect summer afternoon snack :-)

Jennie @themessybakerblog — September 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I love the idea of roasting fruit. And topped with a dollop of ice cream…heaven!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes — September 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Roasted fruit is yummy. I love the spices that you added, and of course butter makes everything better!

Linda — September 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

Made them last night…..oooooh so tasty! this recipe is a “keeper”..thank you Laurie!!!

Eliana — September 18, 2012 at 2:06 am

Hmmm – these look so perfect for this time of year. Thanks so much for sharing.

Mallory @ Total Noms — June 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Holy smokes. This looks bananas… i mean nectarines… I mean I need to make this this weekend for sure. Just found your blog and love it! – Mallory

• simplyscratch replied: — June 11th, 2013 @ 10:41 pm

Thanks Mallory! You’re going to love these… they are the perfect summer treat!