Vanilla Cardamom French Toast

I had four days off from work over this past weekend, and it started out with a bang! We had each girl pick a friend for a sleepover and movie night!  We went to dinner, made ice cream cones, popped some popcorn and watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid. That movie by the way is pretty darn funny! It was so much fun to just kind of do whatever, ya know?

5875509232_75aa85e787_o

But one thing I love about being off on the weekends {besides the obvious} is that I get to make breakfast for my family. On the menu Sunday morning was french toast and sausage links. I swear I’ll find any excuse to use my Mom’s old griddle! However my intentions were to just making some simple and basic french toast, until I opened my cupboard and spied the cardamom and vanilla. I thought, vanilla and cardamom… hmmm… could it work?

It did.

As I laid the soaked bread onto the griddle I kept getting wafts of the vanilla and cardamom laced egg batter. It was smelling so good I was tempted to swipe my finger through it and have a taste test… but then I remembered it’s eggs… raw eggs at that. And well… that’s just gross.

Start with some pretty basic pantry ingredients. You will also need some oil for the griddle or pan you’re using, I highly suggest trying unrefined coconut oil, it adds a little something extra delicious!

Crack your eggs into a dish.

Pour in two tablespoons of milk.

Lightly beat the eggs along with the whole milk.

Grab the vanilla.

Measure out two teaspoons and add it to the egg and milk mixture.

Next grab the cardamom. Cardamom is a strong citrusy spice,  so if you are unsure if you are a cardamom fan… maybe try a quarter teaspoon.

Measure out a half a teaspoon and whisk away. You will have to keep whisking here and there in between bread dipping because the cardamom likes to settle to the bottom of the dish. It’s insanely aromatic and I seriously couldn’t help from taking in deep breaths of the egg mixture!

Dip one side…

…And then the other side…

Then place onto a lightly oiled, preheated 375 degree griddle, or medium to medium-high heat if using a pan.

See those black specks… it’s the cardamom… and it smell HEAVENLY!!

Flip when the bottom is golden and repeat.

This is a great way to use the extra cardamom in your cupboard.

Butter… Maple Syrup… Delicious!

Vanilla Cardamom French Toast

Yield: 8 slices

8 Slices of Bread

4 Whole Eggs

2 tablespoons Whole Milk

2 teaspoons Real Vanilla Extract

1/2 teaspoon Ground Cardamom

1 teaspoon Oil {like coconut oil}

Butter, for serving

Real Maple Syrup, for serving

Preheat a lightly oiled griddle to 375 degrees.

Lightly beat eggs with whole milk.

Add vanilla and ground cardamom, whisk until combined.

Dip both sides of bread into egg mixture and place on hot griddle.

Repeat with bread, whisking the egg mixture every so often to redistribute cardamom. Flip when golden and serve with butter and real maple syrup.

16 Responses to “Vanilla Cardamom French Toast”

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — June 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love the spice combination! I always use vanilla but never would have thought to use cardamom. I'll have to give it a try next time!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — June 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I am totally obsessed with cardamom! Usually I use cinnamon in my french toast but after reading your cardamom version, cinnamon seems so boring & plain…time to set up the game with cardamom :) Awesome idea can't wait to try it!!

M. J. — June 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I too use vanilla but must try the cardamom..hmmm..

Amy — June 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I've never had cardamom. Must head to Penzey's and check it out!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Abby — June 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

that looks really good! I love cardamom…but never had it on a sweet thing before, a must try.

Allison at Novice Life — June 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Oh that sounds yummy!!

Erin — June 28, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Oh this sounds delicious! I actually just bought cardamom for the first time – so I might have to try it out here!

jennifer — June 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Great idea adding cardamom!

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — June 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I just made these for breakfast and they were delicious! I love the flavor that the cardamom gives to the french toast!

Laurie @simplyscratch — June 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm

So glad you liked them Haley!

Jamara — June 29, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I love the addition of cardamom…I typically use it in my bread pudding and it's such a lovely, warm flavor. I've realized why my french toast is missing that beautifully dense, golden accent. I use too much milk, not enough egg. Thank you for this perfect recipe, I'll be trying ASAP.

sherri lynn — June 30, 2011 at 4:39 pm

This sounds delicious! I love new takes on French toast!

I also really enjoy your pictures for your recipes – they're clear and turn out so beautifully! New follower!

Pretty. Good. Food. — July 1, 2011 at 4:14 am

Yummmm! I'll be over this weekend for brunch thank you very much :)

Kita — July 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Love the addition of cardamom. This french toast sounds delicious for a weekend morning.

Heidi — July 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Oh my, I love french toast but haven't had it in way too long. And cardamom is one of my favorite spices! I usually like it in fruit desserts but this sounds great. I love that you used coconut oil, the unrefined oil is so yummy!

Jana — September 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Yum, yum yum! I love French toast, and I'm always looking for new things to use cardamom in. I bought some a while ago but don't really know what all I can do with it. This looks great.