Homemade Pizza Calzones

Homemade pizza calzones, all things pizza stuffed into homemade pizza dough and baked. It’s the best handheld pizza package!

One of my earliest posts on SS was my favorite childhood pizza dough recipe. It’s my Mom’s recipe that she’s made for YEEEARS. And for some reason I was always hit or miss with it. Sometimes the yeast would totally fail me and just sit there, doing nothing. Sometimes it would double wonderfully, other times, not so much.

Researching all my past attempts I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. The water temperature. To be honest, I was being lazy and I never really measured how hot the water was or wasn’t. I just sort of guessed how hot it was. That was the moment I realized the trick to yeast, is a) make sure it’s not expired and b) the temperature of the water. Ever since then I’ve been taking my waters temp like a baby and turning pizza’s out like Little Caesars.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Honestly my friends this pizza dough recipe is fool-proof and my go to recipe.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

All you need is just some common pantry staples one should always have on hand. You never know when the hunger for pizza {or calzones} is going to strike.

I always start by putting some olive oil in the bottom of my “rising” bowl. I’d say it’s about a half a tablespoon.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Moving on to the dough. Place a half a teaspoon of honey into a large-ish bowl. I eyeball-it… you can too.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Run your water on hot, measure a cup and watch the temp rise to 115-120 degrees.

Pour it over the honey.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Sprinkle with the yeast and let it proof or puff up.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Once that happens add a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to the yeasty water.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

A half teaspoon kosher salt.

And stir.

Add a cup of flour…

…Stir…

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Add in another cup and stir.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Add the last half cup, stir with your spatula until most of the flour is worked in.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

I use my hand for the rest.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Sprinkle some flour out onto a clean surface. Dust the dough and start the kneading process for a total of 5 minutes, dusting with more flour as you go until it’s no longer sticky. Because I’m kneading it by hand I end up adding an additional quarter to half a cup during the whole process.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

This is after three minutes of kneading.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

And this is what it looks like after five minutes.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Toss in the bowl with the olive oil. Roll and coat all the sides of the bowl.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Cover with a clean tea towel and stick the bowl in a warm draft-free area to rise for 40 – 60 minutes.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

While this is going on I get going on the toppings…err fillings. First I cook up a half pound of ground Italian sausage.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Slice the onion into strips from root to tip.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Saute them in the remaining sausage fat until soft and golden.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

In a small saucepan add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, dried basil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. I even add a pinch of sugar, I like to think it kills some of the acidity.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Quarter a few pepperonis.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Then grate the cheese. On the left you have a half a half cup of the very stinky {yet very delicious} sharp provolone. And on the right is a cup to cup and a half of the very creamy mozzarella.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

After about an hour in a warm dry place your dough should have doubled in size.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

“Punch” it down to deflate it a bit.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Form the dough into a ball and cut in half. Then divide the halves in half, so you have for pieces.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

So I grabbed Wilma and rolled each piece out to form an 8 inch {estimate} circle. You may have to stretch it a bit with your fingers.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Spread out a little sauce, leaving a little room around the edge. Top with Italian sausage and sauteed onions.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Top with the pepperonis, a little mozz and then a little prov.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Fold over, tuck and twist… or is it twist and tuck. Well you get the idea.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Brush with a little beaten egg.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

Bake the Homemade Pizza Calzones at 375 degrees until puffed, crispy and a deep golden.

Homemade Pizza Calzones l SimplyScratch.com

All this hard work it’s so totally worth eating the whole thing. These homemade pizza calzones have a crispy crust, soft gooey center. I bet your family will be giving you high fives all night long.

Enjoy! And if you give these Homemade Pizza Calzones a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

Homemade Pizza Calzones

Homemade pizza calzones, all things pizza stuffed into homemade pizza dough and baked. It's the best handheld pizza package!

Yield: makes 4 calzones

FROM SCRATCH PIZZA DOUGH

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading

1 cup warm water (115-120 degrees)

1 packet active dry yeast

1 whole egg, beaten

PIZZA SAUCE

8 ounce can of tomato sauce

1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

FOR THE DOUGH: Add a half teaspoon of honey into a clean large bowl. Add the hot water into the bowl and sprinkle with the packet of yeast. Stir and let sit for a few minutes. Season with a half teaspoon of salt and olive oil. Sprinkle with one cup of the flour, stir with a spatula. Add in the second cup, stir until combine. Lastly add the remaining half cup of flour and stir by hand until combined. On a well floured surface, knead the dough (adding more flour if needed) until no longer sticky. Should take five minutes.

Form the dough into a ball and add it to the bowl with the olive oil. Coat the dough with the oil, using it to work the oil up the sides of the bowl. Cover with a towel and place in a dry warm place for about an hour.

This recipe yields one large pizza, two medium pizzas or 4 individual size pizzas or calzones.

FOR CALZONES: In a skillet brown the sausage, drain and set aside. Over medium heat cook onions until soft and golden.

In a small sauce pan over medium low heat combine the tomato sauce, herbs and spices. Stir until hot then remove off of the heat to cool.

Divide the pizza dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out to about 8 inches in diameter. Smear a couple spoonfuls of cooled pizza sauce. Top with cooked Italian sausage, pepperoni, cooked onions and cheeses. Stretch and pull the dough over the top of the filling and twist and pinch the two seams together.

Beat the egg and brush it over top of the entire calzone. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-minutes. Let cool before eating. Use any leftover pizza sauce to dunk your calzone in.

85 Responses to “Homemade Pizza Calzones”

Julie @ Table for Two — February 6, 2012 at 1:16 pm

these look gorgeous and so delicious! homemade dough is the best and there's just nothing that compare! I love all the filling you stuffed in there, delicious!!

Liz M. — February 6, 2012 at 3:18 pm

These look delish! Love the pizza dough from scratch. Never made it before but generally am scared away by yeast and rising and all that jazz. You made it look so simple! Will definitely be giving this a try this coming weekend. Thanks so much!! Keep em coming!!

Made in Sonoma — February 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm

The color on those calzones are perfect!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — February 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm

OOOO.
    MMMM.
    GGGG.

Aarthi — February 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

yummy calzones…I too have a recipe in my blog..

Cassie/Bake Your Day — February 6, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This dough sounds delicious. My husband loves pizza and calzones and I always love trying new dough recipes. We'll try this one out. Love it!

vegiebug — February 6, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I make calzones pretty often too. But yours look delicious! Adding salt directly to the yeast mix can also kill it a little, so maybe try adding it the the dough when the flour is mixed in? Loving all of the cheeeese 😀

Grubarazzi — February 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Oh yummy. This reminds me of my childhood! Dad used to make these all of the time.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 6, 2012 at 5:43 pm

These look so delicious and portable. Something about portable food makes my skirt just fly up!

Blog is the New Black — February 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Looks WONDERFUL!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — February 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Mmm such a great idea! Love it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm

These seriously couldn't look more perfect! I LOVE calzones!

Jessica @ How Sweet — February 6, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Come to mama! These look perfect.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

They look delish! If I ever need to order pizza, I'll be sure and call you, not Domino's 🙂

RavieNomNoms — February 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Those are some amazing look calzones! Nicely done! So hearty and your pictures are just stunning

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — February 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Can I come over for dinner? these look PERFECT.

Jennifurla — February 6, 2012 at 10:13 pm

those calzones look profressionally made…I guess they are! You have cooking talent for sure.

The Cozy Apron — February 7, 2012 at 12:52 am

Oh my goodness, these are truly drool-worthy…beautiful photos and awesome step-by-step directions. This will be something I will be trying in my kitchen for my family!

Margaret Murphy Tripp — February 7, 2012 at 1:36 am

A woman after my own heart. I HATE cleaning the food processor. Hand kneading is rather satisfying too! Nothing like home-made dough….your calzones look amazing!

Erin — February 7, 2012 at 2:04 am

These look perfect! It has been way too long since we have had calzones! They are going to have to make the menu soon!

Bake-A-Holic — February 7, 2012 at 4:48 am

I love calzones! Making a yeast dough scares me, but I may just have to get over that fear and bake some of these up soon. Yum!

Anonymous — February 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Could you make up the calzones in advance put them in the fridge than take them out alittle bit before baking them?

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hi~ I don't see why not. As long as the filling is completely cooled before assembling. It should work! 🙂

Anonymous — February 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Laurie- which pizza dough is better for pizza making- this one or the earlier favorite pizza recipe from earlier? We are looking for a great pizza dough and also need to know what temperature and the amount of time to cook it at (when it's not a calzone). Thanks!

CulinaryCache — February 7, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I love making calzone and these look delicious!

Holly — February 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm

These sound absolutely delish! Love your pics!

Tiffany — February 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Calzones was one of my favorite dinners as a kid!

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — February 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Oooooo, yummy!
    Me and Yeast had a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship going on for a long time, too. It was all in the water. Stupid finicky water temps. Once I broke down and spent money on the instant read thermometer – yeast and I were friends again. Frienemies no more! ~M

Dara Reppucci — February 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Gorgeous! These look delicious and I love your step by step photos. Well done.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — February 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I am a huge fan of calzones and yours look amazing! I now have a huge cheesy carb craving!

Anne — February 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Which dough recipe is better for pizza. This one or your favorite pizza recipe? Also, if I want to make a pizza with this recipe (or whichever one is better) what temperature and for how long should I cook it? Looks yummy!
    Thanks!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — February 8, 2012 at 4:58 am

Anonymous~ I'd bake the pizza at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Both recipes are virtually the same… I use less flour in the hand kneaded version and add more while kneading to ensure a non overly floured dough.

Anne~ I like the hand kneading better because I like to knead, but it depends on if you have or like using a food processor. But other wise they produce the same results. Hope

Nichole — February 9, 2012 at 12:54 am

You totally just brought me back to home economics in high school – I learned how to make these and then made them every friday at home! Thanks for the great memory and delish updated recipe.

JavelinWarrior — February 10, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Your calzones look incredible! I love that you made the dough from scratch… I have featured this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. Let me know if you have any objections and thanks for the inspiration

Kirsten — February 14, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Fantastic color on the calzones! I love dishes like these that are awesome the first time around, but freeze well in case of emergency.

Теодора (Теа) Трповска — March 7, 2012 at 7:18 am

1 cup of water is 240 ml? And 2-1/2 flour are 300 gr? Please answer me. Love the recipe and want to try.
    Teodora

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hi! 1 cup of water is 235mls and 275 grams of flour, plus more for dusting of course.. hope this helps!

theayers5 — April 11, 2012 at 2:24 am

Hi, Just want to say that I stumbled on your site last night and then proceeded to print out about 30 of your recipes. Everything looks so good! And in my opinion, "from scratch" is the only way to go! Tonight I made your calzone crust (I used a different filling since I had already planned to make a ham/bbq sauce/red onion pizza) and my family loved it! The 4 smaller calzones were

MrsCourtneyP — October 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hi there! I randomly found this blog post by searching for “easy pizza dough recipes” and I have to see, this recipe really is fool proof! Up until trying this recipe, I had absolutely ZERO experience making my own pizza dough, pie crusts, or breads. I was really intimidated by the process, but I finally had a moment of, “I have to try!” So I used this recipe for our weekly calzones (I normally used store-bought crust) and my my! This recipe is PERFECT! The dough came out EXACTLY right and my husband loved it! While eating his calzone he even said, “Is there honey is this dough?” Delicious. Thank you so much! I’ve saved your blog on my google reader and will be attempting my first ever real BREAD this weekend with your easy dinner roll recipe. You are fantastic, thank you so much!

Kim — October 10, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Hi! I am not sure how I found your website, but I am glad I did! Thanks for the great calzone recipe. I made them tonight and they were a hit! I will definitely use your dough recipe for a homemade pizza as well!! Thanks again! Perfect calzones!! I will be browsing your site for more goodies to cook… 🙂

sandi b. — October 25, 2012 at 2:57 am

Thankyou, thankyou….these were so delicious and alot of fun to make. I have retired my mixmaster and using my hands to make dough once again. You have a great site, awesome step by steps and the end results are a real treat.

• simplyscratch replied: — October 25th, 2012 @ 4:41 am

That’s great! It’s so much fun to get your hands dirty right!?

Aly Mashrah — February 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm

We just tried this recipe today and it turned out beautifully! My sister & I impressed our family and they asked for us to make more next week. Thanks for the great recipe!

Rachel — June 26, 2013 at 10:28 am

These are fantastic. I’ve made this atleast 6 times now since I found this recipe in January. Even my picky 2 year old loves them! I’m making them again this week. These are so simple but so delicious. I love that you can top each one differently. My daughter loves just cheese and pepperoni, whereas my husband loves when I throw in some bell peppers and olives. It’s a win win in our house. =)

Colette — January 5, 2014 at 8:52 am

Wow I made this last night and I could not believe how good it was! Not to mention easy too. Thanks so much for the recipe it will be the only one I use now 🙂 the only change I will make will be to omit the egg wash and use a combo of garlic and olive oil. Thanks again!

Colette — January 30, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I tried this recipe and I now know I will never need to eat out again! they are amazing and the easy to follow instructions are wonderful! thanks so much 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

I’m so glad! Thank you!

Ariel — April 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

This looks amazing and I’m planning on making tonight!! Just wondering, can I make the dough this morning, let it rise and then stick it in the fridge till I’m ready to put the calzones together tonight? Or should i make the dough, stick it in the fridge and then take it out to rise an hour before I make them tonight?

Thanks!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 8th, 2014 @ 9:30 am

Hi Ariel! I would make the dough, stick it in the fridge and pull out to rise before making. Just give the dough a little extra time to rise 🙂

Ariel — April 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

Awesome! Thanks so much! I’m excited to try this out!

Pam — April 20, 2014 at 3:32 am

Made this today, fabulous for Easter lunch. 🙂
    I made the filling yesterday and so assembling and rolling was pretty easy, plus since the filling was in the fridge it didn’t become soggy. I didn’t use the sauce, the cheese and mixture was moist enough. This is a keeper.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 21st, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

Awesome! So glad you enjoyed them, Pam!

Becca — April 22, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Mine turned out lovely! Thanks for a great recipe 🙂

Chef Louie — April 27, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Laurie,

Your calzones helped me get laid. Thanks.

David Frederick — May 14, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Made these tonight. Was looking for a simple dough recipe. This sure was tasty and the texture was perfect. Mine did not want to stop rising. Thank you!

Taylor — May 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I have made these so many times that I thought the recipe deserved a comment and a big thanks to you! By the way, I really enjoy your blog because of your personality, wonderful photography and recipes that actually work! 2 thumbs up!!

Sarah — July 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I am currently out of active dry yeast and want to make these tonight. How would you adapt the dough recipe to use rapid rise yeast (I have that on hand). Do I just follow the same directions, but use the other yeast? I noticed in the top photo you have rapid rise yeast pictured, but in the recipe at the bottom it is active dry.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — July 10th, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

Hi Sarah!

After trial and error I found active dry yeast to be best for pizza dough. You can of course use rapid rise, but the taste and texture of the crust will/could be different.

From what I know, you can mix the yeast right in to the flour/water without first proofing the yeast in the 110-115 degree water. I’d still have it rise in an oiled bowl {but that’s just me} before preparing the calzones.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you! 🙂

Janna — September 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Love these! Have made them twice so far with great results both times. Thanks for a great website. Your site is my go-to for consistently good and “normal” recipes (ie, no weird, hard to find ingredients!).

Lauren — September 29, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Can you make these with your whole wheat pizza dough recipe? Do I bake it at th same temp. and time? Thanks.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 30th, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Yes and yes!!

Diane — October 8, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I made these Sunday… No leftovers! My kids adored them so I made them again tonight (Wednesday)!

Cale (rhymes with Sally) — December 15, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I’ve never made my own dough, but you made your method so approachable that I just had to try and guess what? It rocked! Thank you so much for sharing your awesomeness (and your mothers!) We’re having calzones again tonight!

doucetteclara.dce@gmail.com — January 25, 2015 at 4:44 pm

A tip I from my Culinary teacher, is to sprinkle salt on the first layer of flour. So the way it’s layered is, yeast Flour, salt flour and mix briskly. Salt can defuse the yeast and can become dense. With adding water I add 1/2 cup of cold and 1/2 boiled together in one measuring container then wait a few seconds, and whisk quickly to yeast. Hope these tips are helpful.:D

ady — March 28, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe, I’m planning on making it next week. Because of lack of time I plan on preparing the dough a day before I plan on using it, store it in the fridge in a container covered with plastic lets say,
    could you tell me please if that somehow affects the end result?, Im afraid that the prepared dough stored in the fridge for about 24hrs may get spoiled? Thanks in advance

Alexis — July 6, 2015 at 1:58 am

This worked great! I didn’t have yeast so I used baking power and lemon juice instead. It worked out great. Thank you

Sue — August 18, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Thank you! These turned out delicious!!

Sakr — August 27, 2015 at 8:47 am

I love this recipe and i use it all the time even for pizza rolls! But i was wondering can i freeze this dough?

Lisa E. — January 31, 2016 at 10:42 pm

I made this dough today and it is honestly the best dough I’ve ever made. I’ve made Calzones before, but the dough always would be undercooked inside. This dough was easy to work with, baked up crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 1st, 2016 @ 5:48 pm

So glad, Lisa!! Thank you for leaving a comment! <3

Sara — October 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Looks great! Trying it tonight with a bit of whole wheat in the dough and spinach filling. I like that you named your rolling pin. We name things too! My roller is Betty! My daughter named her violin Linny. Fun stuff!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — October 21st, 2016 @ 2:58 pm

That’s hilarious! I’m so glad I’m not alone and others name their things! Love it!

Marie — November 22, 2016 at 10:59 pm

What’s the purpose of the egg and honey? If I don’t have yeast, what can I use instead? Can I make it without the garlic powder and what does the Italian seasoning include? Thanks in advance

• Laurie McNamara replied: — November 23rd, 2016 @ 8:11 am

Hi Marie! The purpose of the egg is to give the outside of the dough a glossy shine when it’s baking. The yeast needs sugar or in this case honey, to help it grow. If you don’t have yeast, then you’d need to find a yeast-free pizza dough recipe, and I can’t guarantee the results since I’ve never tested this calzone recipe with a yeast-free dough. You can skip out on the garlic powder, but it does add a lot of flavor to the sauce. Italian seasoning is a blend of different herbs. In my cookbook, I make a homemade version that includes dried marjoram, basil, oregano, parsley, sage, thyme and oregano. I hope this helps answer your questions!

1. Pingback: Can How To Make Pizza At Home Without Oven In Kannada | Pizza Cooking

2. Pingback: Amazing Vegan Cooking Classes Boston | Pizza Cooking