Sugar Crusted Chocolate Chip Muffins

After the holidays I have the hardest time falling back into the rhythm of my normal life. As I sit here looking around and the gift boxes, empty toy boxes and those dang twist-tie things ; and don’t even get me started on the holiday decorations that eventually need to be packed away, I’m feeling extremely disorganized and overwhelmed with it all. I have to work the next couple of days and New Year’s weekend at the hospital and I’m wondering when I’ll get to it all. In the same breath, didn’t I just put all this stuff up?

6513219407_c710240815_o

I can tell ya with certainty that I’d rather curl up with these muffins, a cup of coffee and watch endless hours of The Cooking Channel than tackle the after math of Christmas. So with that said… who wants to come over and re-organize my life, or maybe just the cupboards? So I can bunker down and watch a little Bitchin’ Kitchen… I’ll pay you with baked goods?

It all begins with a few basic pantry ingredients. Wait until you see what happens when these unite!

Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl, and add the mini chips. I wanna say it was Ina Garten that said tossing your chips in some flour will keep them from sinking to the bottom of your muffin. Yeaaaah… I’m going with it.

Stir to combine.

Crack-alack one egg and measure in the vanilla extract.

Drizzle in the grapeseed oil. Okay, so it doesn’t have to be grapeseed oil, although I personally think it’s responsible for why these muffins are so dang moist. Since I don’t keep vegetable or canola oil in the house, it’s a great {and much healthier} alternative. However, coconut oil, applesauce or an extra light olive oil would do the trick too.

Add in the milk. Whole milk… because it’s creamier. Now whisk.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry.

Mix until incorporated. Sample… mix. Sample… Sample. Mix.

Line your muffin tin.

Drop a few spoonfuls of the batter into each muffin liner.

The batter should come up about two-thirds of the way.

Combine the white sugar with the dark brown sugar.

Mix until combined.

Sprinkle a few spoonfuls on top of each muffin.

Place on the middle rack of your preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake. :)

Let cool in the pan until you’re able to remove them without scorching your fingers.

Yummmmmy…

So sugar-y and crispy on the outside…

Yet soft and chocolate-chipy on the inside. These were eaten before the day was out… so so good!

Sugar Crusted Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yield: makes a dozen

2 cups All-Purpose Flour

1/2 cup Sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1 cup Whole Milk

1/3 cup Grapeseed Oil {or extra light olive oil}

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1 egg

3/4 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

3 tablespoons White Sugar {for sugar crust}

2 tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar {for sugar crust}

Heat your oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tin with baking cups.

Mix together the three tablespoons white sugar and the two tablespoon dark brown sugar and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips and kosher salt. In a small bowl whisk the egg, vanilla, grapeseed oil and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.

Fill the cups two-thirds of the way and sprinkle with the sugar mixture. Place the muffin tin on the middle rack of your oven and bake for 18-20 minutes {and I always check mine at the 15 minute mark} or until a cake tester comes out clean. Every one's oven is different... so watch these carefully.

Let cool for a minute before removing. Serve while still warm!

33 Responses to “Sugar Crusted Chocolate Chip Muffins”

Jes — December 28, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Lovely. I think my favorite part is the purple cupcake liners! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 28, 2011 at 1:42 pm

love the sugary exterior…makes me just wanna…take a big bite into them!

Amanda — December 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

These look delicious! I love the addition of the crunchy sugar topping and the mini chocolate chips.

Blog is the New Black — December 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Dig the sugar crust!!! YUM!

Aarthi — December 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Delicious laurie..Yummy one to try it asap

Aarthi

Wanna Be A Country Cleaver — December 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I told myself I was going to swear off chocolate and sugar for a week after Christmas…so far that plan is failing miserably. And these are not helping. I'm feeling like Pavlov's dog here and these muffins are the bell. Dang salivation! ~Megan

Cassie/Bake Your Day — December 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I'm dying over that sugar crust. Delicious!

Deanna — December 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Desserts masquerading as breakfast are my very favorite. I love that these are very clearly chocolate chip muffins. Nothing worse than getting a muffin and having to search for the chocolate chips (or blueberries if you're into that kind of thing).

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I want a pillow made out of these muffins. Normal, right?

Lauren's Latest — December 29, 2011 at 12:18 am

Love those mini chocolate chips! Every bite is extra chocolaty!!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Ohhhh, yes! I love that you used mini-chips, too. Reminds me of a cake mix that I used to love as a child that is no longer made

Elle @ Chellbellz — December 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I think i was sold on the Mini Chips! I love making my own muffins, that way I know whats going into them instead of having to guess! I'm going to try this, i've never NOT used Vegtable Oil when making mine, but now I'm curious about the Grapeseed oil,

RavieNomNoms — December 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I hear ya on being completely overwhelmed and disorganized. That is how this time of year always is though I feel like.

These muffins are glorious Laurie. They look so petite and delicious!

Steph — December 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

These look so perfect! And they're totally dressed for the holidays ;) Glittery and all!

Anna @ hiddenponies — December 30, 2011 at 3:05 am

Mmmmm, cupcakes for breakfast. My kind of muffin, that sugar crust looks amazing!

Kiri W. — December 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Chocolate chip muffins are best, and I love me a crinkly sugar crust :) Gorgeous little treats!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 30, 2011 at 4:53 pm

YUM!!! I love muffins! These look so good with the sugar crust on top!!
    I hate having to reorganize after Christmas – way too much work to find spots for all those new toys :)

Happy New Year!

DessertForTwo — January 3, 2012 at 2:14 am

I'm absolutely positive I've never seen a more delicious breakfast! I could get used to waking up to these daily! Send some over, please? :)

Happy New Year!

Aimee — January 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Look good to me :)

MyFudo™ — January 4, 2012 at 2:40 am

These muffins areso adorable…The sugar crust on top adds more charm. Yummy!
    Which reminds me…I did not pack away Christmas decors and stuff too. Meanwhile, a little muffin-baking to boost me up won't hurt. Thanks for sharing.

Courtney — January 4, 2012 at 6:38 am

Not only do these seem tasty, but they look so pretty, too! Can't wait to try this recipe!

Felix — January 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Well, the taste is awesome.
    But the sugar crust became a sort of extra layer where big pieces fall off at once since it's not that easy to eat.

Molly — January 4, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Found this recipe late last night and noticed that we had everything, so my family had some muffins waiting for them for breakfast this morning. :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

Felix~ I've never had that happen hmmmm… the only thing I can think of is the sugars weren't mixed enough maybe? There really shouldn't be large clumps of sugar on top. Thanks for stopping by and commenting though! :)

Michael Lange Optometrist — January 5, 2012 at 6:07 pm

love your photography! and simple ingredients!

kita — January 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I'm still recovering. There are still a few lingering decorations to be put away and gifts that need to find homes. Maybe that can be my excuse for why I am so far behind on blog lovin'. ;) These little muffins look perfect right now. I'm digging their perky purple liners.

Debbie V. — January 18, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I made these last night and was very pleased.
    I'd never baked with mini-chocolate-chips and they are wonderful the way it seems like the muffins are packed with chocolate chips!
    These muffins are very light in texture more like a cupcake indeed.
    Another great thing is it only takes about 10 minutes from start to oven.
    I used 2% milk as I didn't have whole milk on

candyn — January 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I found your site when googling chocolate chip muffin recipes, and boy am I glad I used your recipe! It made the best cc muffins my kids and I have ever tasted. So yummy! Not exactly a healthy breakfast, but just what we needed on this blizzardy day, warmth from the oven and sugary chocolate in every bite. :0)

lightning_bug — January 20, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I just sat down from putting my second batch in the oven and I just have to say how awesome they are! I made them in in mini muffin pans and they are so adorable. This is my first recipe of yours that I have tried and will be trying more! Thanks so much! Your blog is awesome!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 21, 2012 at 3:54 am

lightening_bug… I'm so glad!! I love that you made mini ones! I'm so doing that next time! Thanks for commenting :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — January 21, 2012 at 3:55 am

Candyn… Nice! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

Darla — May 24, 2012 at 1:39 am

Yuummmm!!!! Made minis and they were delicious! (I used applesauce instead of oil)

Hannah — May 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I followed the recipe to the T and it was great! They were super fluffy and a crisp top. So dang good.