These sugar crusted chocolate chip muffins are the perfect sweet treat for any day! What makes these extra special is the sugar crust on top!
After the holidays I have the hardest time falling back into the rhythm of my normal life. As I sit here looking around and the gift boxes, empty toy boxes and those dang twist-tie things – and don’t even get me started on the holiday decorations that eventually need to be packed away, I’m feeling extremely disorganized and overwhelmed with it all. I have to work the next couple of days and New Year’s weekend at the hospital and I’m wondering when I’ll get to it all. In the same breath, didn’t I just put all this stuff up?
I just want to bake.
I can tell ya with certainty that I’d rather curl up with these muffins, a cup of coffee and watch endless hours of The Cooking Channel than tackle the after math of Christmas. So with that said… who wants to come over and re-organize my life, or maybe just the cupboards? So I can bunker down and watch a little Bitchin’ Kitchen… I’ll pay you with baked goods?
TO Make These Sugar Crusted Chocolate Chip Muffins You Will Need:
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- granulate sugar (white)
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- vanilla extract
- whole milk
- grapeseed oil (or extra light olive oil)
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- white sugar (for sugar crust)
- dark brown sugar (for sugar crust)
In a large bowl, measure and add 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and whisk to combine. Once combined add 3/4 cup mini chips.
Stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, crack and add in one egg and measure in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Drizzle in 1/3 cup grapeseed oil. Okay, so it doesn’t have to be grapeseed oil, although I personally think it’s responsible for why these muffins are so dang moist. Since I don’t keep vegetable or canola oil in the house, it’s a great (and much healthier) alternative. However, coconut oil, applesauce or an extra light olive oil would do the trick too.
Add in 1 cup milk. I use whole milk because it’s creamier. Now whisk to combine.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry.
Mix until incorporated.
Line your standard muffin tin.
Drop a few spoonfuls of the batter into each muffin liner.
The batter should come up about two-thirds of the way.
In a small bowl, measure out 2 tablespoons each white sugar and dark brown sugar.
Mix until combined.
Sprinkle a few spoonfuls on top of each muffin.
Place on the middle rack of your preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake. 🙂
Let cool in the pan until you’re able to remove them without scorching your fingers.
The BEST Chocolate Chip Muffins ever.
So sugar-y and crispy on the outside.
Yet soft and chocolate-chipy on the inside. These were eaten before the day was out… so so good!
Click Here For More Muffin Recipes!
Sugar Crusted Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil, or extra light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons white sugar, for sugar crust
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, for sugar crust
- Heat your oven to 375° and line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Mix together the white sugar and the two tablespoon dark brown sugar and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, chocolate chips and kosher salt. In a small bowl whisk the egg, vanilla, grapeseed oil and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Fill the cups two-thirds of the way and sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- Place the muffin tin on the middle rack of your preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Check mine at the 15 minute mark. The muffins are done when a cake tester comes out clean. Each oven is different, so watch these carefully.
- Let cool for a minute before removing. Serve while still warm!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!