Cajun Seasoned Potatoes

My favorite issue of the year.

Raise your hand if you have this month’s bon appétit? Oh-my-freakish-magazine-loving soul… have you seen all the drool-inducing recipes in here? From yummy pies to Thanksgiving sides, I think it’s my favorite issue to date. Yup, for darn sure.

So while thumbing through, I stumbled on this recipe for Cajun seasoning. Pat, my hubby, loves anything Cajun so I had to make this faster than A-S-A-P! Now I’m sure you don’t need a step-by-step on how to make seasoning… but for some reason I snapped the photos. So you can either scroll down to the delicious potato recipe below… or humor me and read on, either way I’ll still love ya!

The original recipe called for sweet paprika… I only had regular, not sure there would be a difference.

Salt… kosher salt to be exact.

Black pepper.

Next, add the cayenne and garlic powder.

Then the oregano and paprika.

Lastly add in the ground thyme and onion powder.

Stir to combine all the spices. My only issue with this spice is that I would like it to be a little bit spicier. So maybe next time I’d add another half to full tablespoon of cayenne pepper.

Next just pour it into a little spice jar. I found mine at my grocery store for about 2 dollars {and it magnetizes to my fridge! Sooo cool!}

Now let’s use this spice in a recipe!

Planning a good meal doesn’t have to be overly complicated. I usually pick one “difficult” or time consuming recipe and pair with a few easy sides. I’m not a fan of having a sweaty upper lip and stressing out while cooking. In fact, I find the easier the recipe the better chance I’ll stick it into my recipe rotation and keep remaking it again and again.

That is definitely where these spuds belong, in the ro-tay-shon. Not only are they super duper easy, but they are fabulous… with a little help from bon appétit with their stellar Cajun season recipe, which I pretty much just scaled down to half. Just remember if you want these a little more on the spicy-Cajun side, just sprinkle with more cayenne pepper and you will have some ultra spicy tots.

Four ingredients… for real!?! Well 5 if you include a little kosher salt sprinkled over top after they come out of the oven. First things first, preheat your oven along with an aluminum sheet pan. Remember in this post, when I said if you get your pan nice and hot you decrease the chance of the potato {or vegetable} sticking to the pan during roasting {so true!!}. A cooking tip that has changed my life.

Slice your potatoes on a diagonal; doing that increases the surface area, meaning… more crispy goodness.

Toss them into a large bowl, probably larger than this one here… I never have enough room which leads to me flinging things out of the bowl. It happens.

Drizzle with olive oil… eyeball it… you can’t go wrong.

Sprinkle the potatoes with one and a half tablespoons of Cajun seasoning.

Toss to coat.

Spread out the potatoes on to your hot sheet pan. Wish you could hear the sizzle action going on here.

Pour any remaining seasoned oil over the potatoes, and then just stick the pan in the oven for 20 minutes. After the first twenty are up, toss and flip the potatoes around and stick back in the oven for 20 more. Repeat one more time for a total of 60 minutes in the oven. Remove, sprinkle with a little kosher salt and let cool for a tad.

Chop up some flat leave parsley… about two tablespoons, chopped.

Sprinkle over top the potatoes.

Simple enough that you could serve it with steaks, yet jazzy enough to saddle up next to your turkey this Thanksgiving. Either way, they’re an easy side dish that will surely make it into your menu rotation.

Cajun Seasoned Potatoes

3 lbs smallish Golden Potatoes

FOR THE POTATOES

Olive Oil

1-1/2 tablespoons {above} Cajun Seasoning

2 tablespoons chopped Parsley

Kosher Salt, to taste

lovingly adapted from bon appétit magazine

In a small bowl combine all Cajun seasoning ingredients. Stir and store in an airtight container at room temperature for a month. *For potatoes with more of a kick, sprinkle with a little extra cayenne pepper.

Preheat an aluminum sheet pan in your oven to 350 degrees.

Slice your potatoes in half on a diagonal and place into a large bowl. Drizzle with a good amount of olive oil and sprinkle with the tablespoon and a half of Cajun seasoning. Toss and spread out onto the hot sheet pan. Place back into the oven for 60 minutes, tossing every twenty minutes.

Remove and sprinkle with a little kosher salt and let cool slightly. Toss the potatoes with chopped parsley and serve.

30 Responses to “Cajun Seasoned Potatoes”

Blog is the New Black — November 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Laurie, these pictures make me want to reach into my screen and eat them! They sound wonderful!

Jen — November 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I'm new here… I just wanted to say your photos are amazing!

kita — November 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I'm going to raise my hand timidly in the back of the class room, because I have this magazine…..

and I've yet to open it……

or last months….. or the month before that.
    Seriously, I need some time to play catch up.
    But these potatoes make me want to go rip pages out and stick them on the fridge right now.

Margaret Murphy Tripp — November 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I love my bon appetit subscription too! The potatoes look wonderful!

Aarthi — November 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I love R-O-A-S-T-E-D Potatoes…These looks like golden morsels…Thanks laurie for this amazing recipe..

connie — November 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Mmmm…ready to leave work and cook these! I am sure my "Slap ya momma" or "Tony's" would work great on these potatoes.

Shutterbug — November 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I love roasted potatoes! Yum!

Sprinkled with Flour — November 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love all the spices used in this! What a great way to liven up plain ol' potatoes :)

Tina — November 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Just the cajun seasoning alone looks like a great spice mix to have on hand. Creative idea, using the mix to season roasted potatoes. Thanks for posting this savory recipe-delicious.

Haley @ The Girly Girl Cooks — November 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Thanks for the season recipe! I've wanted Cajun seasoning but I didn't want to buy it. I love that I can make it myself!

Cassie//Bake Your Day — November 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I love Bon Appetit and I love Cajun spices. This sounds perfect Laurie, and your photos make me want to eat those potatoes off of my screen!

RavieNomNoms — November 9, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Those look wonderful! What a great recipe for potatoes. That cajun seasoning looks great!

Biana | Simple and Tasty Recipes — November 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Wow, these pictures look great! Roasted potatoes with spices sound delicious.

Karen and Charlie — November 9, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Is it crazy that I keep cajun seasoning in my pantry and NEVER thought to put it on potatoes. Your pictures are great and you can guess what we are having for dinner…yep, steak and cajun fries! Thanks so much

Nancy/SpicieFoodie — November 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I don't have the magazine :( But I do have a love for all things cajun! These potatoes are rocking and could see why they need to be made asap. Thanks for sharing & lovely photos.

Alexis — November 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Um, yes please! I'll be trying this for a fun casual dinner party. Serve it with fish and homemade tarter and you've got your self a meal! Thanks for the recipe!

Sabrina-eat.drink.and be merry. — November 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

FABULOUS!!!!! I would eat just this for dinner (or breakfast!) and be totally ok with it!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — November 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm

This seasoning sounds AWESOME! And your potatoes turned out perfect!

Deborah — November 9, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I haven't heard that tip about a hot baking pan- I'm totally trying that!! Along with this recipe – delicious!

Bev Weidner (Bev Cooks) — November 10, 2011 at 12:18 am

O.M.G.

This has just made my LIFE.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 10, 2011 at 1:16 am

i have been staring at my bon appetit on my desk for days as i do a ton of busywork. don't these people know i have magazines to read and recipes to try? :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 10, 2011 at 1:21 am

Hi Jen~ So glad you stopped by! Thanks for the wonderful compliment!

Kita~ I find time to "catch up" on my mags when it's "football Sunday" and my husband hoard the computer with all this fantasy football buisness :S

Tina~ We have sprinkled this Cajun seasonin on just about everything! I've since added a little more cayenne, but I like it on the

Amanda — November 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Hi Laurie! I just found your blog and can't wait to read through your posts. These potatoes sound fantastic and your photos are gorgeous!

Adding your blog to my reader! :)

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — November 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much!! I'm so glad you stopped by! :)

freeeatsfood.com — November 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

As a potato fanatic, these photos have me salivating. I will definitely be trying these tonight. They look delicious and the cajun seasoning is the perfect compliment to the buttery flesh of a yukon gold potato. :)

healthyfoodietravels — November 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Oh man, these look perfectly roasted, I just would love to dig in! :) Great spice mix recipe thank you so much for sharing!

mPaula — November 12, 2011 at 1:50 am

I was treated to dinner at a great restaurant and I am SO full but I still want these potatoes. I know that I will add some onion wedges and garlic cloves. This is probably not considered breakfast food but I don't mind being different. Some fruit first and a scrambled egg. Mmmm … maybe I should make enough to have leftovers for lunch. Cold roasted potatoes are still delicious.

kal — September 6, 2012 at 1:48 am

what a great recipe! i didn’t have thyme, i eyeballed all the seasonings, and i chose to cook them in a skillet first and finish them off in the oven- and they were still amazing! sriracha and an omelet were perfect companions for them too. this seems like a super flexible recipe for seasoned potatoes and the ingredients are so simple that no matter whose pantry i’m using, i know i can whip this up anytime. LOVEloveLOVE.

Hannah — March 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I cut my potatoes smaller so that it would cook faster and it worked well. The flavour is great!

1. Pingback: Crispy Fish Sandwich with Pineapple Slaw | Taste of Molly