House Balsamic Vinaigrette

Everyone needs a go-to balsamic vinaigrette.

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (10)

Obviously I love this dressing. Drizzled over a BLT salad, pasta salad or spinach salad topped with any variety of fruit. I said salad one too many times there, didn’t I? But I do love how simple the ingredients are and that it’s easy to make. It’s easy because I make this in my blender or mini food processor.Every now and again I like to give my whisking arm a break, but alternatively using these appliances really blends these ingredients together, making it a luscious and velvety vinaigrette.

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com

Here are your pantry ingredients. Garlic, balsamic, red wine vinegar, mustard, dried basil, black pepper and olive oil. I always have these things stocked and readily on hand so I have dressing at my fingertips.

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (1)

Smash, peel and pop the garlic into your blender or mini food processor.

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (2)

Then pour in the balsamic vinegar…

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (3)

The red wine vinegar…

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (4)

…and the mustard. Here is where you can get creative. You could use whole grain, honey mustard or hot beer mustard, just as long as it’s mustard… m-kay?

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (5)

Throw in a generous pinch of kosher salt, black pepper and the dried basil.

Replace the lid and puree until the garlic is no longer in large chunks.

Once that happens, I removed the center plug thingie to my blender and then while the blender is running, I pour a thin, steady stream of olive oil.

Blend until creamy and glorious!

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (8)

This vinaigrette can be make 1 week in advance. Store in a container with a tight fitting lid in the fridge.

Happy salad eating!

Enjoy! And if you give this recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (10)

House Balsamic Vinaigrette

Obviously I love this dressing. Drizzled over a BLT salad, pasta salad or spinach salad topped with any variety of fruit. But I love how simple the ingredients are and that it's easy to make.

Yield: about 1 cup

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon mustard, any kind

1 garlic clove, smashed and peeled

1/8 teaspoon dried basil, or more to taste

kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

3/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin

Combine garlic, balsamic and red wine vinegars, mustard, salt and pepper and dried basil in a blender. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil through the opening in the lid until it forms into a thick dressing.

This dressing can be made up to 1 week ahead, stored in a covered container and keep refrigerated. Stir well before using.

*For a thicker dressing use your blender. For a looser vinaigrette, shake in a mason jar.

House Balsamic Vinaigrette l SimplyScratch.com (9)

20 Responses to “House Balsamic Vinaigrette”

Debbie B. — April 13, 2011 at 12:31 am

I am obsessed with homemade dressings right now! They are so tasty and healthier than so many store bought dressings. The salad looks great!

Ali Grace — April 13, 2011 at 3:08 am

This looks delish! I was just thinking the other day about how I wanted to make my own salad dressing. Now I have a recipe!! Thanks. 🙂

Luiz Claudio — April 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hey! I liked this recipe…I'll made it at week. We love salad, so we'll be use this delish. Kisses from Brazil!

Our Eyes Eat First — April 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

oooh… yum thanks! love the fave bite pic!

raptortoe.com — April 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Very nice!

Tiffany — April 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Fantastic photos and post! This is sooo MY kind of dressing, perfect!

potandkettlecookbook — April 14, 2011 at 1:03 am

Great picture how-to. It looks so simple and easy!! Can't wait to try.

Sprinkled with Flour — April 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I am definitely bookmarking this one. I love to make salads, but find myself getting bored with the same old salad dressings from the store. Not to mention homemade is just plain better for you! Thanks for sharing 😉

Brittany — April 15, 2011 at 1:05 am

I have been looking for some homemade dressing and I love balsamic vinaigrette so this perfect! I will be making this for our next salad! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Liege Davis — August 28, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just made this dressing for my lunch salad and it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

Jennifer — December 16, 2013 at 9:46 am

Just made this dressing, very simple yet tastes incredible. Thanks for the great recipe!

• simplyscratch replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 10:19 am

I’m so glad! You are most welcome!

aida cadena — September 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Saved Again! The above ingredients were all I had on hand for last minute dressing. I wanted a to make one of your fruity ones but struck out on ingredients. (I have a bottle of ready made dressing but would really rather NOT. It’s for that zombie apocalypse situation….yup, it’s THERE but I really hope to never have to use it!)
    It was the usual DELISH!!
    Thanks!

Christine — August 26, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Can you use ground mustard (powder) or does it have to be the condiment type? Forgot to pick it up at the store but have the powder kind

Wendy Berryhill — February 22, 2017 at 10:29 pm

This is the BEST balsamic vinegrette ever!! Restaurant quality!!! I really mean it. Same as The Purple Onion in Saluda, NC.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 24th, 2017 @ 8:22 am

Woot-woot! I’m so glad, Wendy! 🙂

1. Pingback: Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette |

2. Pingback: Ranch Parmesan Crusted Shrimp | The Craft Gab

3. Pingback: Grilled Romaine Salad with Cherries, Feta and Toasted Pine Nuts! - Live From Matt's House