My Grandma’s Greek Dressing Recipe

In My Grandma’s Greek Dressing Recipe you’ll find simple ingredients like fresh garlic and lemon juice, oregano and olive oil. Seasoned, simply with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for the absolute BEST Greek salad dressing you’ll ever taste.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (15)

This is by far my most popular salad dressing on Simply Scratch. So popular I knew I had to include in my cookbook. I think people love it because it tastes real and authentic and all that’s required are just a few simple pantry ingredients, a jar and of course, a yummy big fat Greek salad. To make my grandma’s Greek salad dressing is so incredibly easy, just add everything into a jar, secure the lid and shake! The end result? Amazing. I could literally drink this stuff from the bottle. Just kidding, that would leave a horrible oil-stache which would be so not attractive.

This Greek salad dressing is can also be a marinade for chicken. Toss chicken breasts or thighs into a resealable bag or Tupperware container, pour and toss. Marinade for a 30 minutes to 1 hour and grill! You can see it done here in my Greek Chicken Pita recipe and it was simply delicious. This is as straightforward as it gets and I think you’ll love it just as much as I do!

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (11)

Let’s roll.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (1)

Like I mentioned before, all you need is a few fridge and pantry items. Ingredients like olive oil, a large lemon (two if smaller), one good-size garlic clove, dried oregano, kosher salt and ground black pepper.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (2)

First grate one large garlic clove directly into a glass jar. If you don’t have a microplane, then finely mincing or squeezing the clove in a garlic press will do the trick just fine.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (3)

Measure and add in a teaspoon of the dried oregano (I crumble this in the palm of my hand before adding), a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (4)
My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (5)

Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out all of the juice. You will need 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice, which it typically one whole large lemon. Strain the juice through a small mesh strainer to catch and seeds and pulp.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (6)

Pour the lemon juice into the jar with the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (7)

Then measure and pour in a 1/2 cup of good quality olive oil.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (8)

Now if this wasn’t already so boringly easy, screw on the lid…

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (9)

…and shake it good.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (10)

That’s it! I know, a whole step-by-step post on how to make Greek dressing.

However, this Greek dressing recipe is far from boring. Now all you need now is a nice big fat Greek salad filled with chopped fresh lettuce, crumbled feta, juicy tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, salty kalamata olives and pickled beets and then serve with as much or as little of the Greek dressing as you like.

Here’s my go-to Greek salad recipe. You can drizzle this dressing over it or if you’re craving a creamy Greek dressing, I took My Grandma’s Greek Salad Dressing and swapped in fresh herbs and made it luscious with a little mayo and Greek yogurt.

Enjoy! And if you give this recipe a try, let me know by snapping a photo and tagging me on twitter or instagram!

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (13)

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe

Only the easiest and best Greek dressing recipe!

Yield: 3/4 cup

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

1 large clove of garlic, grated or squeezed through a garlic press

1 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed in palm

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon), strained of pulp and seeds

1/2 cup good quality olive oil

In a glass jar or container with a tight fitting lid, grate in a clove of garlic. Then measure and add in the oregano, salt and black pepper.

Pour in the (strained) freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil.

Shake. Pour. Swoon.

Store salad dressing in the fridge. Pull the dressing out 10-15 minutes prior to using to warm it up if the oil solidifies or simply run the jar under warm tap water.

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe l SimplyScratch.com (12)

85 Responses to “My Grandma’s Greek Dressing Recipe”

Nichole — November 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I'm Jealous – looks great!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — November 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm

The dressing looks amazing. Full of flavor and so healthy!!! I wish a plate of that salad and dressing would appear in front of me right now 🙂

suzfondl — November 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Oh jeez-louise…now I have to make this for dinner…if I can last that long. This looks fanstastic!

jane deere — November 30, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Greek Salad is one of my favorites! I love to make dressing in jars…they come together so well and quick without much fuss. Thanks for sharing!

Haley — November 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm

You had me with the pour spout! I want to find this Olive Oil!

Kay Heritage — December 1, 2010 at 3:41 am

LOVE Greek Dressing! Your recipe looks simply marvelous!

Haley — December 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Laurie….I went looking all over town for this Olive Oil and couldn't find it. Is it at a health food store or does it have to be specialty ordered online? I couldn't find it at my local grocery stores! I had to settle for Western Family brand 🙁

Laurie @simplyscratch — December 2, 2010 at 5:36 am

Haley… Try going to the Olivari website and entering your zip code to locate a store.
    Hopefully that helps!

Haley — December 2, 2010 at 5:55 am

Thanks! I checked the website to find a store and there is none within 150 miles from me. Sometimes I hate living in Montana! We never get the good stuff! 😉

ebSovena — December 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hi everyone – I work at the company that supplies Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil. It is available nationally right now at Walmart Supercenters (yup, any of the big Walmarts that have the large grocery sections).

Otherwise, it is mainly in the Northeast right now. We are working hard to expand… Thanks for your support!!

Suzanne McCord — June 23, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Opa! This is the best, most authentic recipe I found when I typed “Greek Salad Dressing” into my search. Can you believe some sites made a Greek dressing with no oregano and no lemon juice?! That’s crazy! This is the only one I wrote down.

Thanks!

Ally — August 17, 2012 at 3:59 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I just wanted to tell you that I love the way you put all of the ingredients in the photos. Somehow it makes things seem simpler to make. 🙂

• simplyscratch replied: — August 19th, 2012 @ 2:03 am

Thanks Ally! 🙂

Katherine — September 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe. The proportions are great and make it versatile. The original is quick and tasty. Have also tried with red wine vinegar, oregeno, dill and mint, kept the same proportions. Thanks for sharing your grandmother’s recipe – those recipes are usually keepers!

Sarah — October 8, 2012 at 2:51 am

OMG!!!! Just made this dressing to marinate some grilled chicken and I am completely speechless (mostly because my mouth is full). Awsome dressing and marinade!!!! I can’t wait to try other recipes!!! A++++

Maurie — February 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

So glad this post come up in my search for Greek Salad Dressings! I love the use of lemon instead of a wine vinegar! It was perfect with our Greek salad tonight! Thanks for posting it!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

You are welcome 🙂 I love this dressing and more so that it’s my Grandmas recipe!

Ryan — March 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This dressing was SO incredibly delicious!!! Thanks for sharing. It is officially a new staple in our house! 🙂

Andrea — March 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I made this and it tasted amazing! Added a bit more lemon juice because I like tangy dressings and some rosemary too. Yum.

Hello, I made Grandma’s Greek Salad dressing, twice. I didn’t have a jar, I wisked it. The oil taste overcame the other flavors. Was it the wisked that changed the taste?? Was a flop @ my dinners. 🙁 Please help.

Thanking you in advance,

Jacqueline Kossoff

• simplyscratch replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 9:28 am

I’m sorry this didn’t work out for you as I’ve been making this for years and never had that happen, but since I’m not in the kitchen with you I cannot be sure. It could be the olive oil you used, some are better than others, also if the dressing settles you may get more oil then lemon juice. If you do try this again and you get more of an olive oil taste try adding more lemon juice to it and see if that helps 🙂

Pete — May 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

I have a similar recipe that I’ve been using for a few years now but lately it seems to have a little too much heat to it & I don’t know why. Could too much garlic make it hot or could it possibly be too much lemon juice or maybe not enough red wine vinegar? This is my recipe:
    4 TBSP olive oil
    3 TBSP lemon juice
    2 tsp oregano
    1 TBSP crushed garlic
    2 tsp red wine vinegar
    1/8 tsp kosher salt

Ericka — January 6, 2014 at 9:49 am

This was amazing!!! Thank you!!!! I made this and it was hit … party in my mouth!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 12:02 am

Ha-ha! I’m so glad!!

Ella — February 17, 2014 at 4:22 pm

This is the best! I just made it and it is awesome! I did not change a thing; I made it just as you wrote it.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 17th, 2014 @ 10:44 pm

I’m so glad! Thanks Ella 🙂

Beth — March 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

I’ve made this dressing several times and used it in a “Greek” pasta salad of farfalle, red onion, lots of kalamata olives, feta, and celery. The dressing is the perfect complement to the strong flavors of the olives and red onion. I get rave reviews every time….thanks for such an easy and delicious dressing recipe.

Wyndi — March 30, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I love this dressing… so easy and so full of flavor! Great for marinade as well..
    Wyndi

Judy Augur — May 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Wow Wow! Love this dressing….my family is requesting it again and again!! Thanks for sharing with all of us who don’t have a grandma 🙂

Bryce — June 1, 2014 at 4:17 pm

This recipe is great thank you!! So easy and so delicious!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 4th, 2014 @ 10:06 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Gladys — August 11, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Love the lemon without vinegar. Fresh and tangy!

Charbear — February 8, 2015 at 8:41 am

Made it and loved it! Flavour develop overnight, even better the 2nd day.

Sandy — March 23, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. So simple and such a delight. Thank you for sharing.

Claire — April 13, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Best dressing ever! Thank you so much! Can you tell me what the shelf life of this is if kept in the fridge? I would think quite a while since the ingredients themselves have such a long life.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 20th, 2015 @ 1:02 pm

Hi Claire! I’m so glad you love this dressing as much as I do! If refrigerated it can last for 3 to 4 months. 🙂

Marliese Kelm — May 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

habe gerade Ihr Rezept gefunden und es würde mich interessieren, wielange man dieses Dressing aufbewahren kann.

Vielen Dank

Ann — September 1, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Whipped this dressing up this morning to go with my salad. I love it. I actually used Greek Seasoning instead of the salt/pepper/oregano. It was delish! Thanks for sharing.

Christina L Meyer — December 29, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Perfect! I used it in my greek wheat berries salad WOW!

Tina — March 24, 2016 at 1:22 pm

I am going to make this for my Yai Yai! Thanks 🙂

mimi lee — April 3, 2016 at 9:53 pm

Just want to let you know I have been coming back to your Grandma’s recipe for a few years now <3 It is my absolute favorite!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 5th, 2016 @ 10:02 pm

I love to hear that! FYI I just posted a creamy version today! Thanks for stopping by to let me know!❤️

Suzanne Kent — May 7, 2016 at 5:44 pm

Love this dressing…exactly what i was looking for!!!

Estalyn — June 2, 2016 at 5:53 pm

I am curious about beets in the salad..are they pickled beets or boiled-seasoned beets? How are they prepared? The salad photo looks fantastic!!

Krista Friebel — July 1, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Just made this for a Greek salad that I am taking to a friends for dinner. WOW!! It is delicious and will sure to become a staple in my kitchen.

DianaB — August 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Looks really good. The only things missing from my Greek salad are lettuce and anchovies. All the Greek diners I’ve had Greek salad at all used lettuce so I feel its necessary for a good salad. I’m also not a fan of kalamata olives.. too strong tasting.

Nethra — August 22, 2016 at 12:29 am

Thank you for this lovely recipe! I was looking for a Greek salad dressing that does not use red wine vinegar, and this was perfect. It complemented my salad beautifully. I’m a new visitor to your website, and this has me hooked!

Tasha — September 29, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Do u have a Greek house dressing for pepper steak subs?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — September 30th, 2016 @ 5:05 pm

I do not. Sorry, but I am curious as to what sandwiches these are and I can investigate!

Caitie Polivka — February 19, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I just wanted to say that I have made your dressing every week for months on end and it has been a hit with my husband and friends that come for dinner. THANK YOU a million times over!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 24th, 2017 @ 8:34 am

That’s great, Caitie!! <3

Nicole — May 17, 2017 at 7:38 am

I am trying to eat healthier and start doing meal preps. chicken Greek salad was on my list this week. I wanted to make my own dressing instead of buying the stuff at the grocery store that’s laced with chemicals. I found yours and instantly when I saw that it was your grandma’s recipe I knew it had to be the best. My instinct was correct; it was delicious! This is something I will probably keep in my rotation and use forever. Thanks for sharing this with us. 🙂

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 18th, 2017 @ 1:56 pm

Yay! That’s so great to hear, Nicole! It’s my most favorite dressing recipe

Kate — November 3, 2017 at 10:34 pm

What a simple yet so delicious dressing, Best Greek Salad dressing I’ve never had. Thank you for sharing.

• Laurie McNamara replied: — November 7th, 2017 @ 9:24 pm

I’m so glad Kate! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

1. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | personal fincance

2. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | WebProject

3. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | PFS

4. Pingback: The Salad Bible

5. Pingback: Day 7 | Whole30 for a WholeRatliff

6. Pingback: Prepping for the Week (recipes include Spanish Pea Soup with Crispy Ham) | foodrevival

7. Pingback: Pepper Lynn | Easy Raspberry Sauce

8. Pingback: Honey Pot – Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice | Style Bee

9. Pingback: Keto salad dressing recipes » DietKeto.com

10. Pingback: Easy {Homemade} Summer: Greek Quinoa Salad » The Cheapskate Cook

11. Pingback: Greek Salad : Three Parts Patience

12. Pingback: Greek-ish Salad |

13. Pingback: Easy Gyros with Naan, Tzatziki & Greek Salad - Inky Jazz

14. Pingback: Weekly: Red Pepper Orzo & Greek Salads | Finding the Edge

15. Pingback: Olives & Herb Picking With Chef Robert Nyerick | encinomom

16. Pingback: cleanse prep: big ass salad | SemiGeek Gourmet

17. Pingback: Greek Salad Dressing | Clean Living Success

18. Pingback: Greek Salad Dressing | Abundant Simplicity

19. Pingback: Very Greek Grilled Chicken - Bull City CrossFit, Durham, NC | Bull City CrossFit

20. Pingback: Greek Dressing | The Pajama Chef

21. Pingback: Greek Salad Dressing | Pass The Whisk

22. Pingback: 11 Healthy and Delicious Salad Dressing Recipes

23. Pingback: Top 10 Things You Should Stop Buying & Start Making

24. Pingback: Pork & Alcohol Free Meal PlannerCanadianMomEh

25. Pingback: سس سالاد يوناني |

26. Pingback: Six Week Nutrition Challenge: Day 1.5 – Finding My Happy Place

27. Pingback: DIY Salad Dressing Recipes - 3 Fit Girls Fitness

28. Pingback: Orange and Green Nourish Bowl - Sweet Poppy Seed

29. Pingback: Orange and Green Nourish Bowl with Lemon Tahini Sauce - Sweet Poppy Seed