My Grandma’s Greek Dressing Recipe

So in my Grandma’s Greek dressing recipe all that is required are just a few simple pantry ingredients, a jar and a yummy big fat Greek salad. This is so incredibly easy and tastes amazing. I could literally drink this stuff from the bottle. Just kidding, that would leave a horrible oil-stache… which is so not attractive.

My Grandma's Greek Salad Dressing  - www.SimplyScratch.com

Also what I love about this dressing is that it also can be a marinade for chicken. I used it to marinate the chicken in my Greek Chicken Pita recipe and it was amazing! This is as simple as it gets and I think you’ll love it just as much!

Let’s roll…

ingredients

Here are the pantry items that you’ll need: olive oil, a lemon or two depending, one good-size garlic clove, kosher salt, ground black pepper and dried oregano.

press a clove of garlic

To start, I pressed in one large garlic clove…

into the jar

…directly into a glass jar.

dried oregano

Then measure and add in a teaspoon of the dried oregano…

kosher salt

…a 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt…

pepper

…and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper.

lemon juiced

Squeeze, measure, strain and pour in the 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice, which it typically one whole lemon.

measure olive oil

Measure out a 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.

olive oil

And add that directly to the jar with the spices and garlic.

screw on the lid

Now if this wasn’t already so boringly easy… screw on the lid…

Greek Salad Dressing  www.SimplyScratch.com

…and shake it real good.

But this salad dressing is far from boring. All you need now is a nice big Greek salad filled with lettuce, feta, tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives and beets.

Serve with as much or as little of the Greek dressing as you like.

Enjoy!

My Grandma's Greek Salad Dressing  - www.SimplyScratch.com

My Grandma's Greek Dressing Recipe

Only the easiest and best Greek dressing recipe!

Yield: 3/4 cup

Prep Time: 10 minutes {if that}

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 large clove of Garlic, squeezed through a garlic press

1 teaspoon Dried Oregano

1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1/4 teaspoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper

1/4 cup freshly squeezed Lemon Juice, strained of pulp and seeds

1/2 cup Olive Oil

Squeeze a clove of garlic into a glass jar or re-sealable container. Measure and add in the oregano, salt and black pepper.

Pour in the quarter cup of strained, freshly squeezed lemon juice and the 1/2 cup of olive oil.

Shake. Pour. Swoon.

Store salad dressing in the fridge. But pull out 10-15 minutes prior to using to warm up the solidified oil or run the jar under warm tap water.

53 Responses to “My Grandma’s Greek Dressing Recipe”

Nichole — November 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I'm Jealous – looks great!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — November 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm

The dressing looks amazing. Full of flavor and so healthy!!! I wish a plate of that salad and dressing would appear in front of me right now :)

suzfondl — November 30, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Oh jeez-louise…now I have to make this for dinner…if I can last that long. This looks fanstastic!

jane deere — November 30, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Greek Salad is one of my favorites! I love to make dressing in jars…they come together so well and quick without much fuss. Thanks for sharing!

Haley — November 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm

You had me with the pour spout! I want to find this Olive Oil!

Kay Heritage — December 1, 2010 at 3:41 am

LOVE Greek Dressing! Your recipe looks simply marvelous!

Haley — December 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Laurie….I went looking all over town for this Olive Oil and couldn't find it. Is it at a health food store or does it have to be specialty ordered online? I couldn't find it at my local grocery stores! I had to settle for Western Family brand :(

Laurie @simplyscratch — December 2, 2010 at 5:36 am

Haley… Try going to the Olivari website and entering your zip code to locate a store.
    Hopefully that helps!

Haley — December 2, 2010 at 5:55 am

Thanks! I checked the website to find a store and there is none within 150 miles from me. Sometimes I hate living in Montana! We never get the good stuff! ;)

ebSovena — December 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Hi everyone – I work at the company that supplies Olivari Mediterranean Olive Oil. It is available nationally right now at Walmart Supercenters (yup, any of the big Walmarts that have the large grocery sections).

Otherwise, it is mainly in the Northeast right now. We are working hard to expand… Thanks for your support!!

Suzanne McCord — June 23, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Opa! This is the best, most authentic recipe I found when I typed “Greek Salad Dressing” into my search. Can you believe some sites made a Greek dressing with no oregano and no lemon juice?! That’s crazy! This is the only one I wrote down.

Thanks!

Ally — August 17, 2012 at 3:59 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe. I just wanted to tell you that I love the way you put all of the ingredients in the photos. Somehow it makes things seem simpler to make. :)

• simplyscratch replied: — August 19th, 2012 @ 2:03 am

Thanks Ally! :)

Katherine — September 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for the recipe. The proportions are great and make it versatile. The original is quick and tasty. Have also tried with red wine vinegar, oregeno, dill and mint, kept the same proportions. Thanks for sharing your grandmother’s recipe – those recipes are usually keepers!

Sarah — October 8, 2012 at 2:51 am

OMG!!!! Just made this dressing to marinate some grilled chicken and I am completely speechless (mostly because my mouth is full). Awsome dressing and marinade!!!! I can’t wait to try other recipes!!! A++++

Maurie — February 17, 2013 at 10:10 pm

So glad this post come up in my search for Greek Salad Dressings! I love the use of lemon instead of a wine vinegar! It was perfect with our Greek salad tonight! Thanks for posting it!

• simplyscratch replied: — February 19th, 2013 @ 8:19 am

You are welcome :) I love this dressing and more so that it’s my Grandmas recipe!

Ryan — March 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

This dressing was SO incredibly delicious!!! Thanks for sharing. It is officially a new staple in our house! :)

Andrea — March 6, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I made this and it tasted amazing! Added a bit more lemon juice because I like tangy dressings and some rosemary too. Yum.

Hello, I made Grandma’s Greek Salad dressing, twice. I didn’t have a jar, I wisked it. The oil taste overcame the other flavors. Was it the wisked that changed the taste?? Was a flop @ my dinners. :-( Please help.

Thanking you in advance,

Jacqueline Kossoff

• simplyscratch replied: — March 19th, 2013 @ 9:28 am

I’m sorry this didn’t work out for you as I’ve been making this for years and never had that happen, but since I’m not in the kitchen with you I cannot be sure. It could be the olive oil you used, some are better than others, also if the dressing settles you may get more oil then lemon juice. If you do try this again and you get more of an olive oil taste try adding more lemon juice to it and see if that helps :)

Pete — May 5, 2013 at 10:35 am

I have a similar recipe that I’ve been using for a few years now but lately it seems to have a little too much heat to it & I don’t know why. Could too much garlic make it hot or could it possibly be too much lemon juice or maybe not enough red wine vinegar? This is my recipe:
    4 TBSP olive oil
    3 TBSP lemon juice
    2 tsp oregano
    1 TBSP crushed garlic
    2 tsp red wine vinegar
    1/8 tsp kosher salt

Ericka — January 6, 2014 at 9:49 am

This was amazing!!! Thank you!!!! I made this and it was hit … party in my mouth!!!

• simplyscratch replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 12:02 am

Ha-ha! I’m so glad!!

Ella — February 17, 2014 at 4:22 pm

This is the best! I just made it and it is awesome! I did not change a thing; I made it just as you wrote it.

• simplyscratch replied: — February 17th, 2014 @ 10:44 pm

I’m so glad! Thanks Ella :)

Beth — March 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

I’ve made this dressing several times and used it in a “Greek” pasta salad of farfalle, red onion, lots of kalamata olives, feta, and celery. The dressing is the perfect complement to the strong flavors of the olives and red onion. I get rave reviews every time….thanks for such an easy and delicious dressing recipe.

Wyndi — March 30, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I love this dressing… so easy and so full of flavor! Great for marinade as well..
    Wyndi

Judy Augur — May 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Wow Wow! Love this dressing….my family is requesting it again and again!! Thanks for sharing with all of us who don’t have a grandma :)

Bryce — June 1, 2014 at 4:17 pm

This recipe is great thank you!! So easy and so delicious!!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — June 4th, 2014 @ 10:06 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Gladys — August 11, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Thanks for sharing. Love the lemon without vinegar. Fresh and tangy!

1. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | personal fincance

2. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | WebProject

3. Pingback: 25 Tasty and Affordable Salad Dressing Recipes | PFS

4. Pingback: The Salad Bible

5. Pingback: Day 7 | Whole30 for a WholeRatliff

6. Pingback: Prepping for the Week (recipes include Spanish Pea Soup with Crispy Ham) | foodrevival

7. Pingback: Pepper Lynn | Easy Raspberry Sauce

8. Pingback: Honey Pot – Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice | Style Bee

9. Pingback: Keto salad dressing recipes » DietKeto.com

10. Pingback: Easy {Homemade} Summer: Greek Quinoa Salad » The Cheapskate Cook

11. Pingback: Greek Salad : Three Parts Patience

12. Pingback: Greek-ish Salad |

13. Pingback: Easy Gyros with Naan, Tzatziki & Greek Salad - Inky Jazz

14. Pingback: Weekly: Red Pepper Orzo & Greek Salads | Finding the Edge

15. Pingback: Olives & Herb Picking With Chef Robert Nyerick | encinomom

16. Pingback: cleanse prep: big ass salad | SemiGeek Gourmet

17. Pingback: Greek Salad Dressing | Clean Living Success

18. Pingback: Greek Salad Dressing | Abundant Simplicity

19. Pingback: Very Greek Grilled Chicken - Bull City CrossFit, Durham, NC | Bull City CrossFit

20. Pingback: Greek Dressing | The Pajama Chef