Homestyle Meatloaf

The moment the weather turns a bit chilly, I’m immediately ready for those warm and homey type of meals. And nothing says cozy homey-ness like meatloaf.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (21)

There are so many different recipes out there in the world but this one is my standard, my go-to, our family’s all-time favorite, meatloaf recipe.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (20)

My friend Amanda gave me her recipe a long time ago and I’ve used this one and only this one for years. I think the reason why I love it so much is because it’s so simple, yet an instant classic and is utterly delicious. It takes only minutes to throw together and when it’s baking, it will fill your home with a mouth watering, soul-warming aroma.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (1)

I make this recipe ALL THE TIME and serve with mashed potatoes, green beans or glazed carrots. This will definitely warm you up on a cold fall day!

Homestyle Meatloaf l (2)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a foiled-lined, rimmed baking sheet.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (4)

Finely mince up half of a yellow onion, about 1/2 cup.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (5)

Smash, peel and finely mince two garlic cloves.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (6)

Add the ground beef into a large bowl along with the onions and garlic.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (7)

Add in the cup of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs…

Homestyle Meatloaf l (8)

…and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and a heaping 1/4 teaspoon dried basil.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (9)

Pour in 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce. (I make my own Worcestershire sauce, so that’s why it may look different)

Homestyle Meatloaf l (10)

1/4 cup ketchup…

Homestyle Meatloaf l (11)

…1 whole egg, lightly beaten.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (12)

Make sure your hands are super duper clean so you can mix all of those ingredients- by hand. Keep going until you have a giant well mixed ball of meat.
It may feel gross at first but actually it’s very therapeutic… and especially if you’re particularly frustrated. Let’s just say “for example” the dog just chewed up your favorite pair of wool socks… well you can take all that anger and rage out on the meat mixture! That’s what I do anyways, and let me tell you… IT WORKS .
In the end, all you want is it all to be mixed well and seasoned throughout.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (13)

Transfer the mixture to prepared baking sheet…

Homestyle Meatloaf l (14)

Then I form the mixture into a loaf like shape and slide it onto the middle rack of my preheated 375 degree oven to bake for 20 minutes.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (15)

When those 20 minutes are up…

Homestyle Meatloaf l (16)

Add about two-thirds of the reserved 1/3 cup of ketchup and use a pastry or basting brush to smear it all over the top and sides of the meatloaf. Make sure to get it into any nooks and crannies.

TIP: for a sweeter glaze I’ll stir in a little brown sugar to taste. 😉

Homestyle Meatloaf l (17)

This is what your loaf will look like after 20 minutes (40 minutes total).

Homestyle Meatloaf l (18)

Slather on the remaining ketchup and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (19)

I allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring it to a cutting board or serving platter…

Homestyle Meatloaf l (20)

… and  slicing it into thick pieces.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (22)

This is the part on those cooking shows where they sink their fork in and take a hot steamy bite. And then you’d see their eyes close, and they would go on and on about how it is moist, flavorful and simply the best meatloaf ever. *sigh*

Because my friends it so is.

Homestyle Meatloaf l (21)

Homestyle Meatloaf

I think the reason why I love it so much is because it's so simple, yet an instant classic and is utterly delicious. It takes only minutes to throw together and when it's baking, it will fill your home with a mouth watering, soul-warming aroma.

Yield: 4-6 servings, depending

Prep Time: 15 Minutes

Cook Time: 55 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes plus 10 to 15 minutes rest time

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck

1/2 a medium yellow onion, finely minced

2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced

1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs

3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt

1/4 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper

1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil

1/3 cup of Worcestershire Sauce

1/4 cup Ketchup, plus an additional 1/3 cup for brushing on top

1 whole Egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly oil a foil-lined sheet pan.

Add all ingredients above to a large bowl and mix by hand until combined and well mixed. On your prepared pan, free-form the meatloaf mixture into a loaf shape.

Bake for 20 minutes, remove and brush with 2/3 of the ketchup before returning the meatloaf to the oven and baking for another 20 minutes.

Remove, brush with more ketchup and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

Slice and serve.

23 Responses to “Homestyle Meatloaf”

Pretend Chef — November 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Meatloaf like this would be having my guy singing nothing but good praises. Might have to take a play out of your menu playbook and make this for him real soon. The girls looked so good in their costumes!

Laurie @simplyscratch — November 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Aww thanks!! I hope you enjoy this!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch — November 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

First, your kids are adorable! Great costumes!! 2nd, the meatloaf looks really good!!!! I love meatloaf, let me correct that: I love good meatloaf, and this looks darn good :) I'll have to give this recipe a try soon. YUM!

Jennifurla — November 3, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I agree fantastic costumes, my Indy was a Gnome! ha ha, love this meatloaf and your very detailed shots.

Haley — November 7, 2010 at 1:45 am

Love the costumes! They looked great! Every Halloween in Montana requires long-johns and winter jackets. LOL. This meatloaf looks so good…definitely going to make it!

Haley — November 12, 2010 at 1:20 am

I'm eating this as I type and it is delicious!!!! Love this recipe!

*CJ* — February 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Okay, I'm making this tonight. This may be a silly question, but do you take the plastic wrap off before baking? I'm assuming you do…
    Also cooking up your rosemary potatoes!

Hollie — December 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm

ok, im making this tonight, but there are some things you need to consider when dealing with amatures, like: leave the plastic wrap on?????? I figure off cuz there would be no point to brush with ketchup otherwise (but it took me a while to come to that conclusion)…oh and Kosher salt?? whats the difference?

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm

There is little difference between Kosher Salt and table salt, except the size and texture. So if you are using regular table salt in a recipe that calls for kosher, you will need to use less because it's smaller than kosher salt. I personally like the texture better… and to me it's less "salty" if that makes sense :)

Amber Kaye — June 8, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Making this for dinner tonight! Complete with fresh green beans and mashed potatoes. SO glad I found your blog 😀

Great recipe!! — February 27, 2013 at 2:47 am

I love it! Made it this morning and let it sit in the fridge for the day, took it out an hour before cooking and it was moist and delicious!! I made an adjustment or two as my 82 year old mother cant have anything spicy so I omitted the crushed red pepper. I used 1 pound of lean beef and about a 1/4 pound of mild italian sausage, half the bread crumbs and it turned out perfect! (Half the bread crumbs due to the variance in meat) Great recipe and I will make it again for sure!! Thanks!!

Jean — June 27, 2013 at 5:33 pm

My husband & I were craving comfort food ( in 90 degree weather – go figure!) so I made this recipe & I loved everything about it except the Worcestershire sauce, & this comes from an English woman! , I think there is just too much of it especially with the ketchup. So I will make it again when we have our craving & lighten up both sauces. Everything else about it was great! Thank you for a wonderful website!!!! :)

Tasha — January 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I asked my husband what he wanted for dinner tonight and he actually said meatloaf!! and greenbean casserole! I love reading through your recipes, and the pics are great!! Thank you, I am off to the store for ingredients.

• simplyscratch replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 9:46 pm

Oooh! Enjoy!

Michele — December 21, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I was thinking about becoming a vegetarian when I came across this recipe. I have made it 5 times in the last 6 weeks. When it’s cooking, it’s like lock all the doors cuz we aren’t sharing! I don’t know if it’s the Worcestershire sauce or the basil, but it is crazy good. It’s cooking in my oven now. I make it with Kraft Mac n cheese. Thanks for the great recipe!

Sarah S. — February 11, 2015 at 2:36 pm

This looks really good, I am afraid to use ketchup as my husband hates meatloaf with ketchup. So I thought I would recommend our family favorite for meatloaf…BBQ sauce. I am from Kansas City, so it is natural for us to look for those flavors. I am flirting with your recipe and incorporating BBQ sauce tonight. I will come back and share how it goes! :)

• Laurie McNamara replied: — February 12th, 2015 @ 10:06 pm

Ooh great idea! Enjoy!

Guyscancooktoo!!! — March 9, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Made this tonight with a few minor changes. I wrapped 4 slices of bacon around the base and because I used 2 lbs of meat, I added 10 minutes more of cook time at 425 to get a good crispy exterior. All 5 in the family went nuts over this and I can’t remember the last time that happened. Thanks so much. :-)

• Gabrielle replied: — May 24th, 2015 @ 2:52 am

I made this tonight and it was seriously SO GOOD! Both my husband and 3yr old turned their noses up when I said I was making meatloaf for dinner, but both loved it and requested I make again soon! Definitely adding this to my rotation. I followed the recipe to a T, I only added half of a diced green pepper in the meatloaf and a bit of red pepper flakes to the ketchup I brushed on top to give it a little zing! Perfect recipe, thanks a bunch!

• Laurie McNamara replied: — May 25th, 2015 @ 8:34 am

YAY! I’m so glad your family enjoyed it Gabrielle!

• Dana replied: — September 12th, 2015 @ 2:17 pm

Did you cook at 425 for the whole cooking time? Or just for the extra 10 minutes that you added to the cooking time ?
      (I’m also using 2lbs of meat and it’s my first attempt at this recipe)

test — November 17, 2015 at 5:12 pm

1. Pingback: handling meat and weeping over onions… Or something less dramatic. | annie groves