Garlicky Green Bean Almondine

Garlicky Green Bean Almondine. Say that seven times fast.

This is a favorite side dish of mine. I love the flavor of toasted almonds with the freshness of the green beans together. As a kid this sort of recipe I would’ve probably turned my nose up at, I mean the thought of nuts on my vegetables wouldn’t fly. But this totally works… and both my husband and girls love them too! Boy how times have changed.

My friend Nichole {Hiiiieeee Nichole} was telling me how she was hosting Thanksgiving this year and she was doing alllll the cooking. She went on to talk about how she was going to make the traditionally heavy meal a little bit healthier. Like, sautéed green beans with crispy shallots instead of the green-bean-cream-of -mushroom-soup-casserole that has been served in the past.

And all our talk about beans got me thinking… about these beans.

This is a great substitution for the traditional casserole and you won’t even miss all that soup. Promise.

Bring a pot of water to boil and season with a generous pinch of sea salt.  Then melt a tablespoon of bacon fat into a deep skillet over medium heat.

Once the pan is hot, throw in the slivered almonds. Stir them occasionally until fragrant and lightly golden.

Remove the almonds to a bowl and go to work on the green beans.

Drop in a pound of green beans. I’m using fancy French green beans or haircot verts, which if you say phonetically sounds a little dirty.

After a few minutes {no more than 3 minutes tops!} they should be a bright green.

You’ll want to immediately remove them from the boiling water and plunge them into an awaiting bowl full of ice and water. This whole process is called blanching. Which basically just means a quick dip in hot salted water to bring out the insane color and then cooling them off so it stops the cooking process, leaving you with pretty and bright green beans and not that dark and dismal green you’ve probably have seen more times than not.

Shake off any excess water off of the beans and throw them into the pan with the remaining bacon fat is and cook for a few minutes. It should sizzle-sizzle.

Using a garlic press, squeeze in a clove of garlic and season with A LOT of black pepper. Here’s where you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice if you wanted… I didn’t have any… so I didn’t and they still taste amazing!

Give it a toss and continue to cook until the beans are al dente… or to your liking.

Lastly add in the toasted almonds.

Toss and serve.

See these beans are so much better for you but with a little naughty from the bacon fat. Yum, yum and YUM!

Garlicky Green Bean Almondine

Fresh green beans tossed with garlic and toasted almonds.

Yield: 8-10

Cook Time: 10-15 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

1 pound Green Beans or Haricot Verts

2.5 ounces of Slivered Almonds

1 tablespoon Bacon Fat

1 clove Fresh Garlic

Black Pepper, to taste

1 teaspoon Lemon Juice {optional}

Sea salt, for seasoning water

Inspired by my totally awesome Brother-in-law Jeff's recipe :)

Bring a pot of water to boil and season with a generous pinch of sea salt.

Get a large bowl of ice water ready.

In a deep 10-inch skillet melt a tablespoon of bacon fat.

Throw in the slivered almonds, stir occasionally until toasted and golden. Remove to a small bowl and set them off to the side.

Drop the green beans into the salted boiling water for two to three minutes. Immediately remove and plunge them into the bowl of ice water, to lock in that bright green color.

Drain and shake off any excess water before placing the green beans in the skillet with the bacon fat. Toss and cook the beans for a few minutes to get them hot again.

Using a garlic press; press in a clove of garlic. {Here is where you could add a teaspoon of lemon juice, if desired}

Season with a generous amount of black pepper and toss, cooking until the green beans are al dente or to your liking.

Add the toasted almonds back in to the skillet, toss and serve!

19 Responses to “Garlicky Green Bean Almondine”

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — November 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm

These look delicious- yum! Green beans and bacon fat are a staple back home but I usually make mine with olive oil. We’re also big fans of sunflower seeds on top =)

Beth Ann — November 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

What a better alternative to make for the holidays ! Bookmarked!

Kelli H — November 18, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I swear bacon fat and green beams are a match made in heaven! Lucily, no one in my family makes that traditional green bean casserole. Why is that a tradition??

Darcy — November 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm

So perfect! I was just searching for a recipe to make for Thanksgiving and this looks super easy!

Aimee — November 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

That color is insane! Gorgeous!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Green beans are definitely a favorite side dish in my house. What a delight!

Kathryn — November 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm

This sounds like such a great way to serve green beans – so delicious!

Anna — November 19, 2012 at 5:14 am

This looks really great, and healthy!

Hannah — November 19, 2012 at 6:11 am

Seriously this looks amazing!

Carolyn Sullivan — November 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I have been making a variation of these for yrs, and not just for T-day! But in mine I use Sliced Almonds and I leave them in the pan while the green beans get done. After they are done, I add soy sauce forcolor and saltyness

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme — November 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm

A classic green bean almondine recipe with a twist…I like it! Of course, bacon makes everything better and it’s always a great choice with green beans. Fantastic recipe.

Nichole Bertucci — November 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I’ll be making these tomorrow!!

Christie {Pepper Lynn} — November 30, 2012 at 8:00 am

You had me at bacon fat.

Love the simplicity of this dish – perfect to bring a bit of ease to crazy holiday cooking!

Anita — August 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm

You lost me at “bacon fat”. ugh. For those of us who want to eat healthy and avoid all those bad diseases that result from eating meat – and esp./ animals\ FATS – could you offer a vegetarian version?

Don’t you think Big Meat already had us brainwashed enuf into believing that no meal is complete unless someone died?

• simplyscratch replied: — August 14th, 2013 @ 7:43 pm

Brainwashed? Not at all… I personally don’t find bacon fat unhealthy, especially compared to let’s say canola oil or vegetable oil, but that is a personal opinion. Of course please feel free to substitute the bacon fat with olive oil, it will taste delicious either way :)

Anita — December 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

Aren’t these HARICOT BEANS? (not haircot beans!)

• simplyscratch replied: — December 27th, 2013 @ 10:03 am

That one slip of the “i” makes all the difference.. haha! Thanks!

roxx — April 8, 2014 at 11:50 am

can this be made in advance and reheat in a tin pan to take to a party?

• Laurie McNamara replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 9:29 pm

Hi Roxx… I don’t see why not! Maybe keep the beans separate from the almonds and combine them after reheated. :)