Cinnamon Morning Muffins

These muffins are dangerous, not like “choking hazard” dangerous {well maybe}. More like before-you-know-it-you’ve-inhaled-three and you’re covered in cinnamon sugar evidence. THAT kind of dangerous.

5021129014_0631dd7e1c_o1-620x414 (1)

But if you’re like my husband and can eat seven and not feel your thighs grow, well… then good for you, have at it (and I’m super jealous)! Who am I kidding, just thinking of these muffins are making me reach for my fat pants. In case you were wondering my fat pants are grey and  that super worn out kind of comfy. In fact my daughter brought them to me after my dinner party last night. Now that is love… and great intuition! Totally must be a girl thing.

This is all you need for these sinful muffins… Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Milk, Butter, Egg, Salt and Nutmeg.

For the topping you will need {more} melted butter, cinnamon and sugar! But that’s later!

Combine the egg and butter and beat with fork… or whisk… whatevs!

Pretty!

Pour in the whole milk… please use whole milk… it just is better. Period.

and beat some more!

Place all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and grate the fresh nutmeg… try to use the fresh stuff… it’s WAY better… trust me!

Add it all to your mixer and give a quick mix.

Pour in the egg, milk and butter mixture…

… and mix until just combined.

You might have to scrape the bottom, just to make sure you get all the flour mixed in, just be careful not to over mix.

I buttered and floured a muffin tin. Then I spooned in a generous tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin… you want to divvy it out over 12 muffins. Then I may or may not have licked the paddle attachment and bowl, and maybe the spoons too… or not.

Place these babies in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes… depending on your oven. These should have just a touch of a brown on the tops, and soft bottoms {LOL!}.

See no dark crispy edges here!

After they cool a little, turn them out onto a cooling rack until safe to handle.

Next comes the fun part! You’re gonna need melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Thanks to my Mom, I am now a complete cinnamon snob. A few years back me and all my sisters got a Penzy’s gift box for Christmas. In it had… this cinnamon. I can not and will not use any other kind… Penzy’s ROCKS!!

All right… now bathe the muffin in the butter… oh yeah…

Then roll it around in the cinnamon and sugar… and repeat… heck yes!

Until they look like this!!

Here’s a little lesson on how to polish off a cinnamon morning muffin in 2.2 seconds:

and there you have it.

I could totally lick that cinnamon-sugar-goodness off her face.

Cinnamon Morning Muffins

Muffins dunked in butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar.

Yield: 1 dozen

1/2 cup of Whole Milk

1/3 cup of Unsalted Butter, melted

For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping:

1/2 cup of Unsalted Butter, melted

1/2 cup of Granulated Sugar

1 teaspoon of Cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 and butter and flour a standard muffin tin.

Combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Being careful not to add the egg to hot butter and set aside. Add all the dry ingredients to a mixer and give it a quick mix.

Add the egg/milk/butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.

Fill the prepared muffin tins with a generous table spoon of batter or until all the batter is evenly distributed among all twelve muffin cups.

Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden and then let cool on baking sheet.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Dip each muffin into the melted butter letting the excess butter drip off, then toss it in the cinnamon/sugar mixture until completely coated. Repeat.

18 Responses to “Cinnamon Morning Muffins”

Jennifurla — September 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

dear lord woman, these are the prettiest muffins I have ever encountered

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Well thanks!! Having pretty platter helps! ;)

Evan B — September 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm

And I will totally rock my fat pant with a huge smile on my face as a munch on these this weekend!!

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 30, 2010 at 5:59 pm

LMAO Evan!! Rock em out GIRL!!

Nichole B — September 30, 2010 at 6:02 pm

What a great post! I laughed and smiled while reading. I know we all have "fat pants" – thanks for not making me feel alone. I must now go make these – NOW

BakingWithoutaBox — September 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

These look so good! And I love your photo stories.

Wendy — September 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Those look great…cinnamon-sugar toast is one of my childhood comfort foods, and this looks similar! I'm another Penzy's lover…best spices ever!!

Brenda — October 1, 2010 at 12:08 am

laurie you have outdone yourself here. wow, and i have to say, i'm not sure what i like best, the recipe's, the pictures or your wonderful style of communicating. fabulous work…

Amanda — October 1, 2010 at 12:12 am

yummmm! so beautiful and deeelicious looking! so since they aren't fried….i can eat double, right?

-amanda

Karen — October 1, 2010 at 3:58 am

I am addicted to Penzey's cinnamon! I was thrilled when they put a store 1 mile from my house…woohoo!

These muffins look fantastic…dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar??? Yes, please!

Sprinkled with Flour — October 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Cinnamon and muffins are perfect together, these look so delicious:)

Amanda — October 2, 2010 at 3:03 am

So, we made these tonight and they were incredible. The texture turned out a little more like coffee cake for me, but we all loved it! Definitely will make them again. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!:)

-amanda

*Erica* — October 3, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yummy! We had them this morning…they were a hit!

kate — July 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I know this is an old post…but, can I just tell you how happy I am that I found it??
    A google search ended up here…and I was thinking Simply Scratch? How did I not know this sooner!?
    There is a bakery about a block from my house…it's called SONO Baking Co. & it's owned by John Barricelli, of Martha Stewart fame. They have these cinnamon muffins…that look *exactly*

Anonymous — July 30, 2011 at 1:09 am

Hey Laurie!

These look amazing. I want to make them ASAP however I don't own a muffin pan. Would a cupcake pan and cupcake liners work too? or would I need to go and specifically buy a muffin pan and flour it? (I'm super lazy, if you couldn't tell already!)

Thanks!

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Kate~ I'm so glad you found it too!! I'm not sure why I didn't respond to you comment sooner! But these are probably my husbands favorite muffin!! I hope you enjoyed them!

Anonymous~ I don't see why not, actually I think that would be the perfect alternative! Happy baking!!

Anonymous — February 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

i was wondering if you could freeze these?

Emily — May 17, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Delicious…and addicting! I loved them with coffee!