Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

These muffins are dangerous. Not like “choking hazard” dangerous (well maybe) but more like before-you-know-it-you’ve-inhaled-three and you’re covered in cinnamon sugar evidence. THAT kind of dangerous.

If you’re like my husband and can eat seven and not feel your thighs grow, well… I am jealous! Who am I kidding, just thinking of these muffins are making me reach for my well loved stretchy pants.

These muffins are a family favorite. Not just because they’re coated in cinnamon sugar but because they taste like cider mill donuts.

They are so easy to whip up, and don’t require a mixer of any kind to get the job done.

Easy peasy delicious.

This is all you need for these sinful muffins… flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, butter, an egg, salt and nutmeg. For the topping you will need (more0) melted butter, cinnamon and sugar! But that’s later!

Butter and flour a standard muffin pan and preheat your oven to 350°.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1-1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Then set aside for a moment.

Combine the egg and milk and beat with fork. Pour the milk in with the cooled but still melted butter and stir to combine.

Pour in the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients…

… and mix until just combined.

I buttered and floured a muffin tin. Then I spooned in a generous tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin… you want to divvy it out over 12 muffins. Then I may or may not have licked the spatula, bowl, and maybe the spoons too…

Place these babies on the middle rack in your preheated oven for about 20 minutes… depending on your oven. These should have just a touch of a brown on the tops, and soft bottoms {LOL!}.

After they cool a little, turn them out onto a cooling rack until cool enough to handle.

All right, now bathe the muffin in the butter… oh yeah…

Then roll it around in the cinnamon and sugar… and repeat… heck yes!

Until they look like this!!

Here’s a little lesson on how to polish off a cinnamon morning muffin in 2.2 seconds:

…and there you have it.

I could totally lick that cinnamon-sugar-goodness off her face.

These aren’t surprisingly sweet muffins. I bet you can’t stop at just one.

Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

Simple muffins dunked in butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar.

Yield: 1 dozen

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

1 1/2 cups of unbleached all purpose flour

1/2 cup of sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 large egg

1/2 cup of whole milk

1/3 cup of unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted

1/2 cup of granulated sugar

1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter and flour a standard muffin tin.

In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Whisk to combine and then set aside.

Combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Being careful not to add the egg to hot butter and set aside.

Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Use a spatula to mix just until combined.

Fill the prepared muffin tins with a generous table spoon of batter or until all the batter is evenly distributed among all twelve muffin cups.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan or turn out onto a wire rack until cool enough to handle.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Dip each muffin into the melted butter letting the excess butter drip off, then toss it in the cinnamon/sugar mixture until completely coated. Repeat with remaining muffins.

18 Responses to “Cinnamon Sugar Muffins”

Jennifurla — September 30, 2010 at 4:52 pm

dear lord woman, these are the prettiest muffins I have ever encountered

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Well thanks!! Having pretty platter helps! 😉

Evan B — September 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm

And I will totally rock my fat pant with a huge smile on my face as a munch on these this weekend!!

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 30, 2010 at 5:59 pm

LMAO Evan!! Rock em out GIRL!!

Nichole B — September 30, 2010 at 6:02 pm

What a great post! I laughed and smiled while reading. I know we all have "fat pants" – thanks for not making me feel alone. I must now go make these – NOW

BakingWithoutaBox — September 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

These look so good! And I love your photo stories.

Wendy — September 30, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Those look great…cinnamon-sugar toast is one of my childhood comfort foods, and this looks similar! I'm another Penzy's lover…best spices ever!!

Brenda — October 1, 2010 at 12:08 am

laurie you have outdone yourself here. wow, and i have to say, i'm not sure what i like best, the recipe's, the pictures or your wonderful style of communicating. fabulous work…

Amanda — October 1, 2010 at 12:12 am

yummmm! so beautiful and deeelicious looking! so since they aren't fried….i can eat double, right?

Karen — October 1, 2010 at 3:58 am

I am addicted to Penzey's cinnamon! I was thrilled when they put a store 1 mile from my house…woohoo!

These muffins look fantastic…dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar??? Yes, please!

Sprinkled with Flour — October 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Cinnamon and muffins are perfect together, these look so delicious:)

Amanda — October 2, 2010 at 3:03 am

So, we made these tonight and they were incredible. The texture turned out a little more like coffee cake for me, but we all loved it! Definitely will make them again. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!:)

*Erica* — October 3, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yummy! We had them this morning…they were a hit!

kate — July 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I know this is an old post…but, can I just tell you how happy I am that I found it??
    A google search ended up here…and I was thinking Simply Scratch? How did I not know this sooner!?
    There is a bakery about a block from my house…it's called SONO Baking Co. & it's owned by John Barricelli, of Martha Stewart fame. They have these cinnamon muffins…that look *exactly*

Anonymous — July 30, 2011 at 1:09 am

Hey Laurie!

These look amazing. I want to make them ASAP however I don't own a muffin pan. Would a cupcake pan and cupcake liners work too? or would I need to go and specifically buy a muffin pan and flour it? (I'm super lazy, if you couldn't tell already!)

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Kate~ I'm so glad you found it too!! I'm not sure why I didn't respond to you comment sooner! But these are probably my husbands favorite muffin!! I hope you enjoyed them!

Anonymous~ I don't see why not, actually I think that would be the perfect alternative! Happy baking!!

Anonymous — February 8, 2012 at 3:58 pm

i was wondering if you could freeze these?

Emily — May 17, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Delicious…and addicting! I loved them with coffee!