Homemade Chocolate Frosting

Have you ever tried unsweetened cocoa? It’s nasty stuff! One day my girls wanted to try it because it looks and smells really good {I don’t blame them!} curious minds want to know right? I told them that it’s missing sugar so it will taste awful… they didn’t believe me… so I let them try a little… and they quickly spit it out into the sink… Maybe now they’ll listen to me! HA! Fat chance!

Making your own frosting is pretty simple… and doesn’t take long at all! All you need is a few ingredients and presto… homemade chocolate frosting. This frosting recipe is great because you can change it up by using different extracts such as; mint, almond or coconut. I have made coconut before and the almond reminds m of my mom’s frosting when I was a kid! Vanilla is more universally liked and I use the vanilla recipe especially for homemade brownies {recipe to follow}.

The ingredients for this simply homemade frosting are; Unsweetened Cocoa, Powdered  {confectioners} Sugar, Whole Milk, Unsalted Butter {at room temp] and Pure Vanilla Extract.

Place the powdered sugar in a mesh strainer or sifter and add the cocoa.

Sift together over a large bowl and set aside.

In another large bowl, cream together the butter and vanilla.

Then add one cup of the sifted cocoa/sugar to the butter/vanilla mixture.

Then add a tablespoon of the whole milk and mix with an electric mixer. Repeat until you have used up all of the cocoa/sugar mixture, adding a tablespoon of milk after each addition!

Mix the ingredients well after each addition, scraping down the sides inbetween until it resembles frosting!

Throw some on the  brownies {or cake} and spread evenly!

This is my favorite frosting for brownies!!

The kids hang around like vultures waiting for the beaters… I give in… naturally :)

Homemade Chocolate Frosting

3 cups Powdered {confectioners} Sugar

3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened

1/4 cup of Whole Milk (more or less depending on how thin or thick you like it)

1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Sift together the sugar and cocoa, set aside.

Cream butter and vanilla, then add 1 cup of the cocoa/sugar mixture and then add a tablespoon of milk, mix then repeat until all of the cocoa and sugar mixture is combined {adding a tablespoon of milk after every cup of the mixture}.

* If frosting is too thick, thin it out with extra milk.

26 Responses to “Homemade Chocolate Frosting”

nichole — July 6, 2010 at 12:41 am

Yummy, I had 3 brownies yesterday with this frosting.

Sandra — July 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I just found your site while looking for a recipe. I'm glad I found you. I too love to cook and I too have been on a mission to make as much from scratch as possible. I do make my own pasta. I used a manual pasta maker for a year and this past Christmas I got an electric pasta maker that I just LOVE! I get excited when I find something that taste good and is homemade.
    Sandra

Laurie @simplyscratch — July 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Sandra~ I would love to know whta pasta maker you have… would you mind sending me a link? Thanks!!

Evan B — September 10, 2010 at 3:33 pm

That's my favorite chocolate recipe as well! I actually melt the butter though and it still turs out fabulous every time!!

wendyweekendgourmet — September 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm

I could dive head-first into a vat of this frosting, I do believe!

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 11, 2010 at 4:30 am

Amen Wendy!

Laurie @simplyscratch — September 11, 2010 at 4:31 am

Evan ~ never thought to use melted butter… hmmm I should try that!! :)

Jmartinez — January 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Just tried this recipe and it’s too bitter for me :/ but I’m going to try adding more powdered sugar because I really want this to work for my cupcakes

Melanie — April 28, 2013 at 7:00 pm

A flippin’ AMAZING! This is delish and my very, VERY picky eaters (husband included) LOVED this. Thank you!!!!!!!

David Lee — April 29, 2013 at 10:47 pm

my wife try’d this frosting for a homade cake this evening and must have done something wrong because it had the texture of wet sand but…. and i must say it was awsome she really tried and i love her for it!!!! KUDOS for trying

Katie McMinds — September 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm

thanks so much for sharing! I just whipped this up. It was a lifesaver for a recipe disaster! Ended up with peanut butter cookie pie with this chocolate icing…yuuummm!

• simplyscratch replied: — September 19th, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Yay! I’m so glad Katie! That sounds DELICIOUS!

SoEveryDay — September 19, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Yay!

I have long searched for a basic delicious chocolate frosting recipe.

I like ganache and I have a great cooked/cracked fudge like frosting recipe, but sometimes a from scratch birthday cake calls for a better-than-the-can simple recipe.

This is it!

My six kiddos are giant fans already after licking the beaters.

And – uh – there was a perfect amount leftover that I stashed in the fridge and have been sneaking spoonfuls of – incredible!

Thanks!

Marlena — October 12, 2013 at 4:14 pm

This is my first time making scratch frosting and it came out AWESOME, the ingredients and directions are easy to follow and it taste great per my family!!!! Thanks for making my homemade frosting a success.

• simplyscratch replied: — October 13th, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

I’m so glad Marlena! You are SO welcome :)

Hillary — January 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Can you use fat free milk? Only because I never have whole in the house….

• simplyscratch replied: — January 30th, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

Hi Hillary! I don’t see why not, go for it! :)

Hillary — January 31, 2014 at 9:39 am

Fat free worked fabulously! Only had 2 cups powdered sugar so cut everything back and still had enough to frost double layered banana cake. And the best thing of all, the entire thing is 100% organic!! New favorite go-to icing recipe!! Gonna try adding some peanut butter next time for chocolate peanut butter iced chocolate cake.

Amber — April 5, 2014 at 11:08 am

Do you know about how many cupcakes this recipe will ice? I am planning on baking about 200 and just trying to get an idea. Thanks so much!

CAROL — April 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm

USED SOUR CREAM INSTEAD OF MILK (BECAUSE OF COURSE I WENT TO GET THE MILK AND THE KIDS USED IT ALL) TURNED OUT WONDERFUL! :-)
    LOVE TO MAKE MY FOODS FROM SCRATCH