Deliciously flavorful, Turkey Sausage Breakfast Gravy is lighter and made 100% from scratch! Homemade turkey sausage is made by combining lean ground turkey with a few herbs and spices. It is then browned before being turned into a thick gravy and served over biscuits!
One of our most favorite weekend breakfasts is biscuits smothered in sausage gravy. I love it because it’s so simple, quick to prepare and the ultimate comfort food.
I first made a version of turkey sausage gravy using store-bought turkey breakfast sausage and I really didn’t care for the flavor and the texture was a little off. Early last month, when I couldn’t find any pork breakfast sausage at the store, I remembered this turkey sausage post. I came up with the idea to make a bulk sausage version and then turn it into sausage gravy.
Needless to say, I’ve made this 3 times since that day.
It’s so good! And in my opinion, tastes the same as traditional sausage gravy, with less the fat and calories. I serve it over greek yogurt biscuits (with a fried egg on the side) and the rest is history.
To Make This Turkey Sausage Breakfast Gravy You Will Need:
- ground turkey (93% lean)
- kosher salt
- rubbed sage
- ground black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- red pepper flakes
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- milk (2%, whole or half &half)
- greek yogurt biscuits
In a mixing bowl, add 1 pound ground turkey, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage, 1/2 teaspoon each ground black pepper, onion and garlic powder, plus 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes – more or less to personal taste.
Use a fork and mix until combined and the spices are throughout.
Heat a large skillet with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add the turkey sausage and heat on medium-high. Use a wooden spatula to break up the meat into small crumbles.
Cook until no longer pink, the liquids should evaporate and the turkey should be browned.
Add 3 tablespoons of unbleached all-purpose flour.
Stir and continue to cook until the flour is absorbed into the turkey sausage.
Pour in 2 cups milk, increase the heat to high.
Season with lots of ground black pepper and simmer until thickened.
Once the gravy has thickened, taste and season with salt to your liking.
This recipe cooks up way better and the texture resembles pork sausage.
Serve spoonfuls of the turkey sausage gravy over top of split greek yogurt biscuits with extra black pepper on top!
Enjoy! And if you give this Turkey Sausage Breakfast Gravy recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Turkey Sausage Breakfast Gravy
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, 2% or whole
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 biscuits, for serving
- In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, salt, rubbed sage, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Use a fork to mix until combined.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large deep sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the turkey breakfast sausage. Using a wooden spatula, break the meat up into small crumbles.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink and is browned. Sprinkle in flour, stir and cook until absorbed.
- Pour in the milk stir and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat to low and continue stirring until thickened. Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon turkey sausage gravy over biscuits with extra black pepper.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
I feel very thankful that I could read that awesome article. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
You’re most welcome!
I made this for breakfast today. So good!! Thank you.
Just made this yesterday, delicious! One of my favorite recipes from your blog!