All of summers best veggies in one bowl of this Summer Corn and Zucchini Chowder! Fresh sweet corn, zucchini, russet potatoes and bacon in a light and creamy soup! Serves 6 in about an hour.
There’s a definite chill in the air these days. At least in Michigan there is and I’m so here for it! I love summer, don’t get me wrong. However, I love fall more. The food, the clothes… the SOUP! And chili and stews and well, you get the picture.
This soup ties summer and fall together with a neat bow. Summer vegetables plus bacon in a light chowder. It’s incredible and so flavorful.
To Make This Summer Corn and Zucchini Chowder You Will Need:
- olive oil spray
- yellow onion
- russet potatoes
- bay leaves
- low-sodium vegetable broth
- sweet corn
- half & half
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Lightly spray a dutch oven with olive oil and add in the bacon. Cook on medium to medium-low until crispy. Drain on paper towel before roughly chopping.
While the bacon is frying, prepare the veggies. You will need: 1 cup diced yellow onion, 1/2 cup each diced carrot and celery, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 medium russet potatoes (diced), 1 large zucchini, diced and the corn kernels cut off of 4 ears of corn.
Drain off majority of the bacon fat and discard. Throw in the onions, carrot and celery with a pinch of kosher salt.
Stir, cover and cook until tender. Occasionally stir, for about 5 to 8 minutes. After that, add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Next add in the potatoes, 2 sprigs of thyme and 2 bay leaves.
Pour in 1 quart of low-sodium vegetable broth. Cover, stir and bring to a low boil and partially cook the potatoes for 8 minutes.
Add in the zucchini and corn and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the zucchini and potatoes are fork tender about 10 more minutes..
To a blender, add two ladles full of soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Then add in the puree plus 1 cup half & half bak into the soup.
Heat thoroughly, then add in the bacon and season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste.
Serve this summer corn and zucchini chowder with a little minced fresh parsley and extra black pepper.
This soup is so delicious.
All those veggies are now bff’s in a light and creamy soup! And I hope you will love this soup as much as I do.
Enjoy! And if you give this Summer Corn and Zucchini Chowder recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Summer Corn and Zucchini Chowder
- olive oil spray
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 quart (4 cups) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more or less to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- parsley, minced for garnish
- cayenne pepper, or paprika, for garnish
- Lightly spray the bottom of a dutch oven with olive oil. Add the bacon and cook on medium-low until crispy. Remove, drain on paper towel and coarsely chop. Set off to the side.
- Drain all but a few teaspoons of bacon fat, add the onions, celery and carrots with a pinch of salt. Stir, cover and cook until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, thyme, bay leaves and the broth. Stir, cover and bring to a low boil. Cook until the potatoes are JUST tender.
- Add in the zucchini and corn, continue to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Place two full ladels of the soup into a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add this back to the soup pot along with half and half, heat throughly.
- Stir in bacon and season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with parsley, fresh thyme and few sprinkles cayenne pepper or paprika(optional).
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
I’m trying this tomorrow!!!! Nice and amazing recipe shared by you, thank you so much for that.
Outstanding recipe Laurie! It’s a keeper! As a vegetarian I’m always looking for new and delicious recipes for my favorite vegetables.