Spice up your dinner menu with these Spicy Jalapeño Sloppy Joes! Lean ground beef cooks with onions, garlic and jalapeños and simmers in a sweet and spicy sauce. Serves 8 in under an hour.
Looking for something easy to make this Halloween? Or maybe you want something spicy and delicious to serve at your football get together. Either way, the answer is these spicy jalapeño sloppy joes!
Toasted buns topped with a sweet and spicy sloppy Joe beef mixture, topped with cheese, jalapeños and crispy fried onions. Floor to ceiling flavor with delicious heat and it can be on your table in well under an hour. <– my kind of recipe.
To Make These Spicy Sloppy Joes You Will Need:
- yellow onion
- lean ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
For serving: buns, muenster cheese slices, extra jalapeños and crispy onions, potato chips, pickles etc.
Start by heating 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium to medium-low heat. Add in 1 cup diced yellow onion, 1 diced jalapeño (seeds and ribs removed for less heat) and 2 minced cloves of garlic with a pinch of kosher salt.
Stir and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until the onions and jalapeños are soft.
To that, add in 2 pounds lean ground beef. Using a wooden spoon, break it up into crumbles and cook until no longer pink.
Once the beef is browned, add in 1-3/4 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup water, 1-1/2 tablespoons white (distilled) vinegar, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, and a couple splashes Worcestershire sauce. Then measure and add in 2 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 teaspoon both kosher salt and cayenne pepper, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Stir, cover and simmer on low for 20 to 25 minutes.
Toast your hamburger buns, top with a few spoonfuls of the spicy sloppy joe mixture. Top with a slice of muenster cheese and slide underneath your broiler for 30 to 45 seconds. It doesn’t take long for the cheese to melt.
Lastly, top with a few more spoonfuls of the meat mixture (they’re called sloppy for a reason!), sliced jalapeño and crispy fried onions.
SO. DANG. GOOD.
These sandwiches, without the extra jalapeño on top, are the perfect level of spice and not too hot. But the extra jalapeño gives these sloppies fresh flavor and crunch, they also amp up the heat for those who like things extra spicy.
Whether served on Halloween or at your game day party, these spicy jalapeño sloppy joes will be a huge hit!
Enjoy! And if you give this Spicy Jalapeño Sloppy Joe recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Spicy Jalapeño Sloppy Joes
- olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño, diced (seeded and ribs removed for less heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1¾ cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- hamburger buns, or pretzel rolls
- 8 slices muenster cheese
- 2 jalapeños, sliced, for serving (optional)
- crispy fried onions, for serving
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a dutch oven over medium to medium-low. Add in the diced onions, jalapeños and garlic with a small pinch of salt. Stir and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the ground beef, use a wooden spoon to break it up into small crumbles and cook until no longer pink
- Next add in ketchup, water, vinegar, mustard and worchestershire sauce. Then measure and add in the sugar, salt, cayenne, paprika abd black pepper.
- Stir, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Move your oven rack to the highest position and preheat your broiler to high.
- Meanwhile toast hamburger buns or rolls and place on a rimmed, metal baking sheet.
- Top with a few spoonfuls of the meat mixture and top with slices of muenster cheese. Slip under the broiler for 30 to 45 seconds or until melted.
- Top with a spoonful more of the meat mixture, then add slices of jalapeño and crispy fried onions. Replace the top bun and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
What-a-Picture!! I wonder how much it took you to write this? very detailed information and detailed guide! i really enjoyed reading this. thanks
This is not your average sloppy joe recipe—it’s a gourmet version for sure! Thanks for a taste sensation. We loved it!