These Spicy Italian Sausage Subs are simple and yet packed with flavor. Crusty Italian rolls are filled with spicy Italian sausage, tender onions and peppers, basil, pecorino Romano and melty provolone cheese. Serve these hearty sandwiches with your favorite side. Recipe yields 4 servings.
How can something so simple be so delicious?
It’s a combination of a good crust roll and a flavorful sausage filling. In this recipe spicy italian sausage, sautéed onions and peppers are tucked into crusty italian sub rolls with fresh basil, pecorino Romano and provolone cheese. Similar to a cheesesteak, you don’t really need a sauce or extra condiments.
They might not be the prettiest sandwich, but they sure are delicious.
To Make These Spicy Italian Sausage Subs You Will Need:
- olive oil – Or substitute with avocado oil.
- red and yellow bell peppers – Lends mild pepper flavor.
- yellow onion – Adds a subtle sweet onion flavor.
- kosher salt – Used to draw out flavor and season the dish.
- spicy italian sausage – Adds delicious flavor.
- garlic – Adds distinct punchy flavor.
- calabrian chili paste – Lends delicious spice and subtle sweet flavor.
- Italian sub rolls – Try to find good quality rolls that are about 6-inches long.
- basil (fresh) – Lends bright herbaceous flavor
- pecorino Romano cheese (grated) – Lends salty tangy flavor.
- provolone cheese (slices) – Lends sharp, butter and slightly nutty flavor.
Start by prepping your veggies. You will need 1 large red and yellow bell pepper (seeded and thinly sliced), 1 large yellow onion (also thinly sliced) and mince up 2 cloves minced fresh garlic.
Preheat your oven to 400℉ (or 200℃).
Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a 10-inch deep sided skillet over medium to medium-low heat.
Add in the sliced bell peppers and onions with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir and cook until just softened. About 10 minutes.
While the peppers and onions are sautéing, remove the casings from 20 ounces of spicy italian sausage.
Once removed, roughly chop the sausage.
This is what the peppers and onions should look like. They’ll cook down even further with the sausage so if they’re still a bit firm that’s okay.
Add in the chopped italian sausage. Stir and cook until no longer pink and browned in spots.
Next, add in 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon calabrian chili paste and the minced garlic.
What is Calabrian Chili Paste?
Calabrian chilli paste is a versatile spicy condiment. It’s primarily made up of dried crushed Calabrian chiles, sunflower and/or olive oil and salt. Calabrian chilis themselves are hotter than a jalapeño however, the paste is less spicy than a whole peppers because it’s made with olive oil and other ingredients. It’s a great way to add a spicy kick to just about anything, from dressings and sauces to pasta and sandwiches.
You can find calabrian chili paste at most major grocery stores or specialty markets.
Stir and cook 1 minute. Then remove the skillet off of the heat.
Toast 4 sliced Italian rolls (sub buns) on a rimmed metal baking sheet (on the middle rack) of your preheated oven for 5 minutes.
Using oven mitts, remove the toasted rolls and place on a heatproof surface. Switch your oven over to broil and adjust the oven rack to the highest position.
Divide the italian sausage and pepper mixture among the rolls.
Top with sliced basil and 1 tablespoon grated pecorino romano cheese.
Top each with 2 slices provolone cheese.
Broil for 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to avoid burning) until the cheese is melted.
Serve with extra basil and/or Calabrian chili paste.
What Sides Go With Subs?
- French fries – Choose between air fryer French fries or oven baked.
- potato chips – Pick your favorite! We like kettle cooked.
- cut veggies – Any will do!
- italian chopped salad
Spicy Italian Sausage Subs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 large yellow bell pepper , sliced thin
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1½ to 2 cups)
- kosher salt
- 20 ounces spicy italian sausage links, casing removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped calabrian chili pepper paste, more or less to taste
- 4 italian sub buns, cut partially in half leaving one side intact
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400℉ (or 200℃).
- In a 10-inch, deep-sided skillet add olive oil, peppers and onions with a pinch of salt. Heat over medium, stirring often until just softened.
- To the slightly softened peppers and onions add the italian sausage. Stir and cook until no longer pink and browned in spots - break up any extremely large crumbles.
- Next, add in the garlic and Calabrian chili paste. Stir and cook 1 minute, then remove the pan off of the heat.
- Place italian sub rolls on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven, on the middle rack, for 5 minutes. Once toasted, remove and adjust the oven rack to the highest position and preheat your broiler.
- Divide the sausage mixture among the toasted sub buns. Avoid adding any excess fat from the pan. Top with basil, pecorino and 2 slices of provolone cheese per sub. Broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese has melted. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!