Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast is ridiculously tender, flavorful and comforting. A chuck roast cooks low and slow with homemade au jus gravy mix, ranch seasoning, butter and pepperoncinis. Serve shredded over mashed potatoes or tucked into a sandwich. Serves 6 to 8 depending.
I had no idea what I was missing out on.
It’s true, for years I’ve seen Mississippi pot roast recipes all over the internet and never understood the hype. To be honest, the whole pepperoncini thing threw me off. Until last year when I decided to make it. Life = changed. It’s so simple (hello, crockpot meal!) with just 5 ingredients that you quite literally throw into your slow cooker and in 8 to 10 blissful smelling hours, you have flavorful, tender and falling apart pot roast.
Where did Mississippi Pot Roast Originate?
About 20 year ago, Robin Chapman from Ripley, Mississippi first made a variation she calls “roast” from her aunts recipe. She swapped in the ranch seasoning for Italian and threw that in along with au jus gravy mix, a stick of butter and pepperoncini peppers. She then made it for a friend, who then entered it in her church cookbook. Judy, a church congregate, made it for Sunday supper and her niece fell in love with the recipe and shared it on her blog. Another blogger then made it and named it “Mississippi Roast” and from there the recipe really took off and the rest is history.
Believe me when I tell you there are hundreds, if not thousands of versions for Mississippi Roast all over the internet. So I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel here, this is just how I like to prepare it. I cut back on the butter because chuck roast is already a rich and flavorful cut. I also make my own au jus gravy mix and ranch seasoning. You of course don’t have to, but I’ve gone ahead and linked both recipes for you.
To Make Mississippi Pot Roast You Will Need:
- chuck roast – You’ll want to get a 3-1/2 to 4 pound boneless chuck roast.
- au jus gravy mix – Use homemade or store-bought.
- ranch seasoning – Use homemade or store-bought.
- butter – Lends extra flavor and richness.
- pepperoncini – Use whole pepperoncini peppers. I like to use “Hot” which to us didn’t add heat at all but great flavor.
- pepperoncini liquids – Lends so much more flavor.
In your slow cooker add 1 (3-1/2 to 4 pounds) chuck roast.
Sprinkle with 1 ounce of au jus gravy mix and 1 ounce ranch seasoning.
Add 4 tablespoons butter and 6 to 8 pepperoncini peppers.
Lastly pour in 1/3 cup of pepperoncini pickling liquids.
Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. I personally don’t like using the slow cooker on high heat but if needed you could cook on high for about 5 to 6 hours.
Smells SO good.
Carefully remove and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet or wood cutting board.
Use two forks and shred.
Strain liquids in the slow cooker into a fat separator.
Once the fat has risen to the top, remove the stopper form the spout. This will pull the liquids up through the spout leaving the fat on top when you pour.
Transfer the shredded pot roast back to the slow cooker, pour the liquids (not the fat) over shredded pot roast and keep warm.
How Do You Serve Mississippi Pot Roast?
- Serve it over mashed potatoes (mashed cauliflower or buttermilk cauliflower mashed potatoes) and serve with your favorite veggie side.
- Pile it on crusty bread or soft rolls for an incredible sandwich.
Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Fat Separator
- Place roast into your slow cooker. Sprinkle with au jus gravy mix and ranch seasoning. Top with butter and pepperoncini. Pour in the pickling liquids and cover with lid.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Carefully remove and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet or wood cutting board. Use two forks and shred, discarding any tough fatty pieces.
- Strain liquids in the slow cooker into a fat separator. Once the fat has risen to the top, remove the stopper form the spout. This will pull the liquids up through the spout leaving the fat behind.
- Add shredded beef back to slow cooker and pour the liquids (not the fat) over shredded pot roast.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and alongside your favorite vegetable.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!