The best fruits of summer in one dessert skillet! This Skillet Peach Rhubarb Crisp is phenomenal! Peaches and rhubarb are topped with an almond and oatmeal topping for texture and delicious flavor. Serves 6 in under an hour.
Crisps aren’t just for apples! Peaches and rhubarb want in on the fun as well – and topped with homemade brown butter ice cream? How can you not love this?
By the time this post goes live, we will have dropped Haileigh off at college. I think we were/are still in a little bit of disbelief. It’s hard thing to grasp, letting go of a child and sending them off to college. Someone who we’ve raised, sacrificed for and that has lived safely under our roof for the last 18 years of her life. However we are so beyond excited for her to exercise her freedom, spread her wings and start the new chapter of her life that is simply trumps any sadness. I’m sure I’ll delve deep into this when I write my year in review. Stay tuned.😂
As of now, I’ll be consoling myself in the form of desserts. Skillet peach rhubarb crisp to be precise.
Because at this point, it’s all that I know.
To Make This Skillet Peach Rhubarb Crisp You Will Need:
- light brown sugar
- quick cooking oats
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- ground toasted almonds (see recipe notes)
- unsalted butter
- frozen unthawed peaches
- fresh or frozen unthawed rhubarb
- vanilla extract
Start with a bowl (much larger than the one I used 😂) and measure and add 3/4 cup light brown sugar, 1/2 cup each of flour, quick oats and ground almonds, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon each of ground cardamom, nutmeg and kosher salt.
With a spoon, stir to combine.
Drop in 1/3 cup (or 5-1/3 tablespoons) of softened unsalted butter.
Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the oat topping, until it resembles coarse wet sand. Set this off to the side for a moment.
Heat a 10-inch skillet on low and add 1 tablespoon unsalted butter. When melted, remove the skillet off the heat and use a pastry brush to spread it 2/3 up the sides of the skillet.
In a large bowl, combine 3 cups frozen sliced peaches with 2-1/2 cups frozen rhubarb. Add in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 tablespoon tapioca.
Transfer the fruit to the skillet a spread it evenly and then give the skillet a shake to get everything settled into place.
Lastly, sprinkle the almond oat crisp topping over top of the fruit before sliding it onto the lower third rack in your preheated 375° oven.
Bake the Skillet Peach Rhubarb Crisp for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the fruit filling is bubbling.
Serve with spoonfuls of ice cream (like brown butter ice cream!) and prepare to fall in love!
Or simple devour until your heart is whole again.
Skillet Peach Rhubarb Crisp
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oats, quick cooking
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and ground (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 14 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- kosher salt, to taste
FOR THE PEACH RHUBARB FILLING:
- 1 tablespoon butter, for the skillet
- 3 cups peaches, frozen
- 2-1/2 cups rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 1-1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon tapioca, or flour
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, ground almonds, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and a few small pinches of kosher salt.
- Add in the softened butter and using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients unitil it resembles coarse, wet sand. Set this off to the side for a moment.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Add in a tablespoon of butter and once melted, use a pastry brush to spread it on the bottom and up the sides of the skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups frozen sliced peaches with 2-1/2 cups frozen rhubarb. Add in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 tablespoon tapioca.
- Add the fruit to the skillet a spread it evenly and then give the skillet a shake to get everything settled into place.
- Sprinkle the almond oat crisp topping over top of the fruit before sliding it onto the lower third rack in your preheated 375° oven.
- Bake the Skillet Peach Rhubarb Crisp for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the fruit filling is bubbling.
- Serve with scoops of ice cream (like my brown butter ice cream!) and prepare to fall in love.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!