It doesn’t get any easier than this Apple Galette with Cheddar Crust! In this recipe, sliced granny smith apples bake with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a buttery and flaky sharp cheddar cheese crust. Yields 6 servings.
What Is a Galette?
In a nutshell, a galette is free-formed sweet or savory pie that is baked on a sheet pan instead of a pie dish. The dough is folded onto the filling giving the pie a gorgeous rustic look.
For this recipe, I decided to take my love for tart apples and sharp cheddar cheese and turn it into a cozy fall dessert. The crust is buttery and flaky with toasty notes of sharp cheddar and yet the perfectly spiced apples are tender yet hold their shape nicely.
To Make This Apple Galette with Cheddar Crust You Will Need:
- sharp cheddar pie crust
- granny smith apples
- lemon juice
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- dark brown sugar
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- cinnamon (ground)
- nutmeg (ground)
- fine salt
- egg wash
Next, throw the apple slices into a big bowl.
To the apples, add the juice of 1/2 a small lemon, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon fine salt.
Gently toss the apples with the filling ingredients.
Until each apple slice is evenly coated.
Once the cheddar pie dough has chilled, on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to roughly 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Then transfer to rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Add the apple filling in the center, leaving a 2 to 3-inch border.
Fold the sides over the fruit, overlapping slightly.
Bake on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
Th filling should be bubbling, the apples tender and the crust should be a glossy golden brown. If apples are getting too brown, move to a lower rack in your oven or cover the fruit with a small piece of foil.
Allow the apple galette to cool before slicing and serving.
The sweet and savory combination of the apples and cheddar pie crust is a match made in heaven.
How TO store An Apple Galette:
Store in an air-tight container at room temperature or refrigerate.
How Long Will Apple Galette last for?
If Stored at room temperature it will last for 1 day or up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
The Best Way To Serve this Apple Galette:
- Serve topped with butter pecan or vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle with toasted pecans or walnuts
- Drizzle with homemade caramel sauce.
Simple Apple Galette with a Cheddar Pie Crust
- 1 recipe sharp cheddar pie crust, or other 9-inch pie crust
- 2 medium to large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced about a 1/4-inch thick.
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, quartered
- 1 egg, combined with 2 teaspoons water
Make the Apple Filling:
- Line rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400°
- In a large mixing bowl, add the apples, lemon juice, maple syrup, vanilla, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Use a rubber spatula and toss to combine until the apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
Make the Galette:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to roughly 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Add the apple filling in the center, leaving a 2 to 3-inch border. Fold up the sides, overlapping slightly.
- Dot the filling with butter pieces and brush the edges of the pie dough with the egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender, filling is bubbling and the crust is golden. If apples are getting to brown move to a lower rack in your oven.
- Remove, let cool and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!