Satisfy your sweet tooth with one (or three) of these Sea Salt Caramel Espresso Brownies! Rich and fudgy chocolate brownies with a hint of espresso are swirled with homemade caramel and finished with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt!
I’d like to temporarily interrupt any New Year resolutions with these tempting sea salt caramel espresso brownies!
Brownies so extremely decadent, fudgy and caramel-y with an oh-so-subtle hint of roasty espresso. The sea salt not only adds texture but also balances out the sweetness of these brownies.
These are exceptional! Especially if you love the whole salty/sweet thing. Which I do… a lot. These are special occasion brownies. The kind of brownies you split among friends or make because your daughter is home from college. It’s the kind of brownie that go with an evening (or morning, no judgement here) cup of coffee or glass of red wine. The best kind of brownie.
To Make These Sea Salt Caramel Espresso Brownies You Will Need:
- bittersweet chocolate
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- dark brown sugar
- instant espresso granules
- large eggs
- vanilla extract
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- kosher salt
- homemade caramel sauce
- flaked sea salt (I use Falksalt or Maldon)
Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃).
Line a 8×8 square baking pan and spray with nonstick spray. I even use metal clips to secure the parchment, so it doesn’t fold back over the batter.
Start by adding 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter and 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate into a sauce pan. Heat on low, stirring occasionally until melted.
Once melted add int 1 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar and 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules.
Stir until combined and set off to the side to cool down a bit more.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, measure 1-1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
When the chocolate mixture has cooled dow, crack and add in 4 large eggs and measure and add 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Stir or whisk until combined.
Add the flour/cocoa mixture in with the chocolate mixture.
Switch back over to a rubber spatula and mix until thoroughly combined.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan,
Spread and smooth it evenly before drizzling with cooled caramel.
Use a knife to swirl the caramel into the brownie batter. Slip the pan onto the middle rack of your preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes (rotating the pan halfway through) or until a tester comes out with only a few crumbs (no batter!) attached. Depending on your oven, it may take less or a little longer. Start checking your brownies for doneness at the 35 minute mark.
Allow the brownies to cool for at least an hour, if not longer, before slicing and serving.
Because these chocolate sea salt caramel espresso brownies thick are rich, I like to cut them into 16 smaller squares. However 9 works too!
What I love most about these brownies is that when the caramel bakes, it candies a bit. Giving you chewy and slightly crisp edges throughout each brownie. But I always, drizzle them with a little extra caramel before I sprinkle with sea salt. Plus the caramel helps the salt to stick.
I mean, would you just look at that? 😍
Sea Salt Caramel Espresso Brownies
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup caramel, homemade, plus more for serving
- 1 sprinkle flaked sea salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ (or 180℃) and grease and then line a 8x8 pan with parchement.
- In a saue pan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Stirring often.
- When melted add in both sugars and espresso. Set off to the side to cool for a minute or two.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
- To the pan with the chocolate and sugar, add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add the dry ingredients into th wet, switch over to a rubber spatual and mix to combine.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Tap the pan on the counter to settle it. Spoon caramel over top (I do not measure this) and use the tip of a knife to swirl it into the batter.
- Bake the brownies on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 40 to 50 mintues or until a tester comes out clean or with only a few crumbs attached. Note: Every oven is different, so I wouls start checking the brownies at the 35 minute mark by inserting a cake tester (or tooth pick) into the middle.
- Allow to cool before cutting into 9 or 16 squares.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of warm caramel and a sprinkle of flaky sea salt.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!