In this Protein Packed Rice recipe, rice is cooked with bone broth that not only adding extra protein but delicious flavor as well. Yields about 4 cups.
Looking for more ways to add protein into your diet?
Me too! Lately I’ve started paying closer attention to my protein intake and have slowly started to incorporate more into my meals because it keeps me full for longer. Did you know 1 cup of cooked long grain white rice has about 3 grams of protein (enriched has 5 grams per cup)? And if you cook it in bone broth it raises it to around 7 grams per cup (or 4 grams per 1/2 cup serving)?! Not only that, but it adds so much flavor as well.
Rice Cooker vs. Sauce Pan
I always make rice in a rice cooker. It’s foolproof and so much easier. Because most rice cookers regulate how much steam/vapor is released, you won’t need as much liquids than if you were making rice in a saucepan on your stove top. With that said, if making this protein packed rice on the stove top you will need 2 cups of liquid per 1 cup of uncooked rice.
To Make This Protein Rice You Will Need:
- rice – Use long grain, short grain, brown … any!
- bone broth – Depending on the type of rice and rice cooker used will determine how much is needed. For this recipe, I use 1-1/2 cups.
- kosher salt – Adds flavor.
Place the rice in a mesh sieve and rinse well under cool water. Shake gently and rinse until the water runs clear. This will help yield light and fluffy rice.
Place the rice into the bowl of your rice cooker and add a small pinch of salt.
Rice cookers usually have a line marked where you should fill to with liquids. Usually that’s water, but today it’s bone broth.
Fill the pot up to the line marked.
Select white rice and press start.
In no time you will have delicious, flavorful and fluffy rice packed with extra protein.
Fluff and serve.
Delicious and packed with protein! Serve this rice with chicken, shrimp or seafood or use to make fried rice.
Enjoy! And if you give this Protein Packed Rice recipe a try, let me know! Snap a photo and tag me on twitter or instagram!
Protein Packed Rice
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed well
- 1½ cups chicken bone broth, or more as needed
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Place the rice in a mesh sieve and rinse well under cool water. Shake gently and rinse until the water runs clear. This will help yield light and fluffy rice.
- Place the rice into the bowl of your rice cooker and add a small pinch of salt.
- Rice cookers usually have a line marked where you should fill to with liquids. Usually that’s water, but today it’s bone broth. Fill the pot up to the line marked. Every rice cooker is different, for mine I use 1½ cups.
- Select white rice and press start.
- Once cooked, fluff and serve.
Buy the Cookbook: Simply Scratch : 120 Wholesome Homemade Recipes Made Easy Now available on Amazon »
THANK YOU in advance for your support!
Leave a Reply